Odyssey Marine Article...

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"My contact with the company had told me they wanted the information to make documentaries. I never thought they would go after the treasure"

She must be some researcher ! Never thought of looking at the Odyssey web site, business plan or stock prospectus.

Talk about being in denial to clear her own name.

Hope she sent her fees back to Odyssey, to really show she was so appalled at accidentally working for an private sector archaeological salvor.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say “Neptune” has real vessels supplied by Fugro,which the vessels supplied by OME would fit in the moon pool..” , I presume you are actually talking about "Nautilus" (not Neptune) and their previous charter of the MV Fugro Solstice ?

Oh No!...
now how could I have possibly mistaken Neptune and Nautilus?

aside from my attempts at humor, how IS the permission to excavate the Victory coming along, this season maybe?

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"aside from my attempts at humor, how IS the permission to excavate the Victory coming along, this season maybe?"

Not sure it will come in the near future due to the short sighted archaeologist having a sulk.

Hopefully the Ministry of Defence will prevail in the inter governmental argument going on at the moment.

I believe the Explorer is on another interesting site at the moment and with the silver recovery ongoing the Victory can easily wait until next season.

OP
OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"aside from my attempts at humor, how IS the permission to excavate the Victory coming along, this season maybe?"

Not sure it will come in the near future due to the short sighted archaeologist having a sulk.

Hopefully the Ministry of Defence will prevail in the inter governmental argument going on at the moment.

I believe the Explorer is on another interesting site at the moment and with the silver recovery ongoing the Victory can easily wait until next season.

VOC... Odyssey has been working the Victory site for several months, and has permission to start excavations. :occasion14:

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff

I had not heard that the excavation had been approved by the advisory committee, excellent news.

I know they had been on site doing more PDS’s, but had thought they had moved over to the Gloucester or another site for a while.

Look forward to seeing the finds at long last.

Some very interesting missing links from our Naval past will come to light on this project.

Hopefully this will set the new standard for deep water archaeology, and will pioneer a new format for the public/private partnership excavation and recording of our historical past, without burdening our hard pressed tax payers with more bureaucratic or idealistic cost.

Last edited:

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC... Odyssey has been working the Victory site for several months, and has permission to start excavations.

Odyssey has permission to excavate the Victory? Why haven't they made that permission public?

I would guess the stockholders would want to know.

OP
OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odyssey has permission to excavate the Victory? Why haven't they made that permission public?

I would guess the stockholders would want to know.

Here's the answer that was given to your post on the Yahoo forum.

"Odyssey has provided the Maritime Heritage Foundation and their government advisory committee a
phased project plan for the archaeological excavation of the site, and we are currently conducting
operations following the phases which have been accepted. We do not expect our progression through
the various phases to be announced publicly." - From the Q&A

Link: http://www.shipwreck.net/pdf/2012_Shareh...

"Unless you are illiterate, that implies that they have begun the archaeological excavation of the site. Secrecy is warranted due to the sensitive nature of the shipwreck (for example, should they find coins it really is imperative that all are recovered before any announcement is made)."

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Jeffrey..are the seashell sales a bit slow today on the stand?

I Posted on a Yahoo forum, which one?

Your post references a Q&A from 18 June 2012...

So Odyssey is currently conducting operations following the phases which have been accepted, that is very nice, and of course, have nothing to do with permission to recover anything from the site.

Then there is always this. NAS statement 9 July 2012

"As the proposed management plan for the wreck of HMS Victory (1744) is apparently contradictory to the stated UK policy the NAS is confident that the UK government will not allow the intrusive investigation of the wreck by Odyssey Marine Exploration to go ahead. The Society looks forward to learning more from the UK government as soon as possible about alternative plans for how this important cultural heritage will be managed in accordance with the Rules of the Annex and internationally accepted best practice for underwater cultural heritage."

Seems like the members of the committee that would recommend permission appear to think that recovery has not begun yet.

As far as secrecy, anyone can track a ship with AIS. There are AIS programs for Google listed elsewhere on TNet, so obviously, the location is not a secret. (just ask the Dutch and others...)

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg Stemm, the chief executive of Odyssey, said it was the heaviest and deepest cargo of precious metal ever lifted from a shipwreck. The haul, he said, demonstrates that marine technologies have improved to the point that no sunken ship is too deep and no cargo too large for retrieval.
“People have been worried about the technology,” Mr. Stemm said in an interview. “This shows that we have it under control. We can pick up large amounts of silver.”

Kind of embarrassing when you hire a ditch digger, the find out they had to hire someone else to do the job.
You have to wonder why you didnt hire the real diggers in the first place.

The ditchers then try to insist on calling the local news to get them to take pictures of "Lookie wa we jus' ga don' diggin' up"

Ahh, the glamorous life of a cut rate digger.

Now, the challenge to make book....

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUVnav

Still sore your CV went into the OME shredder ?

The UK government did not hire OME to recover the Silver.

They went out to tender on a own risk profit share basis for someone willing and able to locate the wrecks, survey them, design a recovery plan and execute that plan.

OME were so confident in there own ability to pull it off they offered the best share to the government and thats how they won the tender process.

Most offshore contractors will use sub-contractors and vessels of opportunity at various stages of a project - Nothing embarrassing about that.

Maybe Greg will send you a copy of the book and DVD as you still need to learn a lot about the business.

VOC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Legal experts quoted in the Polish media are sceptical about the possibility of recovering the ancient debt due to the sheer amount of time that had passed."

Time certainly doesn't apply anymore to abandoned shipwrecks. Why should it apply to prior indebtedness?

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
"Legal experts quoted in the Polish media are sceptical about the possibility of recovering the ancient debt due to the sheer amount of time that had passed."

Time certainly doesn't apply anymore to abandoned shipwrecks. Why should it apply to prior indebtedness?

This will certainly be interesting to watch play out, and I completely agree with you.

Hopefully Spain isn't a bunch of hypocrites - -Oh wait, I forgot they're trying to get back salvaged/abandoned treasure that they stole to begin with.....:rolleyes:

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find!
Looks like you better get back to the sea shell stand.

VOC... Odyssey has been working the Victory site for several months, and has permission to start excavations.
occasion14.gif

"The news that Odyssey had pre-empted the decision of Ministers came in a letter from Deputy Command Secretary at Navy Command Portsmouth, Mr Simon Routh to Mr Robert Yorke of the Joint Nautical Archaeology Policy Committee [JNAPC]."

Odyssey Marine and Cameron Peer Out of Control on HMS Victory « Press Releases « Save our Heritage – Mortimer

Last edited:

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Robert Yorke and the JNAPC are not considered to be the voice of real Maritime Archaeology in the UK.

He is despised by many, tolerated by the rest and is only admired by his cronies.

All very desperate stuff that they are trying to do to try and stop the goverment and OME excavating the Victory.

The UK government are not signatories to the UNESCO Convention, and until it is enshrined in UK law the government can do what they want irrespective of any previous stated policy.

Last edited:

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Government WANTED Odyssey to file a plan, receive recommendations from the Advisory Group, and have approval by the Sec of State PRIOR to doing anything on the site.

It appears that Mr Routh is on the Advisory Group.

HMS Victory Deed of Trust

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats exactly what they have done.

OME have not done anything outside of their agreement.

All talk so far from Robert Yorke and his puppets at the JNAPC is just mischief making to try and stop the excavation as he and his cronies have been excluded.

VOC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread