scientific book about piracy ?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are interested in the business of piracy, the best one I've read is "Pirate Hunter" by Richard Zacks. Absolutely one of the best researched books on the subject, dealing with the surprising details of William Kidd. Not at all what you might expect! I spoke to Richard recently and he told me it took him four years to compile, and once you read it, you will believe it. Seems that government officials can't keep their hands out of the marine salvage industry, then as today. Who knew?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete, I read it in English without my browser translating it. I'm using Chrome.

Darren you missed something there. The article written by Laure Cailloce is in English. She is describing a book written by Gilbert Buti and Phillipe Hrodej. Read footnote 1 at the end of the article.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Richard Zachs also wrote an excellent book about the Barbary pirates - the full account I've ever read about the loss of the USS Philadelphia. I'm partial to Robert Nesmith's classic Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaoo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Colombiapictures: That is a good one! He is a most interesting figure! Was he a pirate or a buccaneer?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my theories is the ugliest guy usually made captain. Why? because VD was so prevalent. In those times the man that had trouble getting action usually stayed healthy and learned the sea. That's how the one eyed, one armed, peg leg, Pirate Captain character came to be. Because they usually had only one eye or a missing appendage.

So the ability to avoid VD probably played a role in who became captain.

:blackbeard::skullflag:
:laughing7:

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
To generalize about pirate crews - the captain was elected by the men. He was in charge of navigation and the general management of the ship. Command in battle went to the quartermaster - remember Long John Silver.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pirate books

To generalize about pirate crews - the captain was elected by the men. He was in charge of navigation and the general management of the ship. Command in battle went to the quartermaster - remember Long John Silver.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Check out X Marks the Spot, the Archaeology of Piracy, Press of Florida, 2006. I co-wrote an article on the Whydah.

Pirate diver

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an authentic pirate book written in the official pirate alphabet. It was hard to fathom though. (Pun intended.) You see, the pirate alphabet only consists of 10 letters.

I, I, R, and seven Cs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread