What to do now?

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I've been researching rumors of "spanish" coins being found at a nearby beach. My search has lead me to a small section of beach surrounded by rocky areas. I believe the "coins" were possibly found here, about thirty years ago. Now, I don't really know what to do next. I assume the coins are from a ship wreck. Is this a likely assumption? I know they(the coins) didn't swim here on their own. I have thought that I should start searching a grid type pattern (with a metal detector) starting on the beach, and moving out and wider as I go from they beach. How do you do this and not attract attention. I'll probably wait until winter when there are not as many people around. Am I assuming correctly that the coins came from a shipwreck? How else could they have ended up there? The coins were about 260 years old at the time they were found, this would mean about 1715. Has any spanish treasure ever been found in new england? I've about run out of options until I get in the water. I really feel I may be on to something because I have been asking around about the coins and I really get some really strange reponses from the locals. Almost like they all know some secret. And no one will admit to having found anything although others say they did and have seen them. This treasure hunting is damn sure addictive. Any suggestions as to what to do next? Any ideas about a shipwreck?

scottone928

Jun 9, 2007
Green Cove Springs, Fl
That's great. I am sure Ivan and Darren will chime in later, but I would go ahead and take the medal detector out and just look around and have some fun. I do not think you will have to much trouble with people seeing you because alot of people just do it as a hobby. Just do not broadcast what you find and what you are looking for. If you do not find anything off the bat, remember their has been a lot of the beach nourishment going on and it just may be deeper. Of course you know the best time is after a storm when you get some erosion. Also research, research, research. Maybe their is some lidar prints available. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
OK I'm new at this ... Whats a "lidar Print"?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bell, the coins could have come from a shipwreck or they could have spilled out from a buried cache. What do you know about the shoreline there? Is it receding or slowly moving out into the water? Compare old maps/charts with modern ones. This may help answer the shipwreck vs. cache question. As far as attracting attention, I think most people could care less. If anyone asks, just play it off as looking for beach jewelry (but show them all the junk you're finding) ;)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It would be hard to believe that a 1715 galleon ended up in New England, but there are other possibilities to consider. They could be from a pirate ship who raided the 1715 salvage camps...this happened many times. Or migrating indians, who also salvaged treasure from the 1715 fleet. I think the latter is much less likely, and most of the pirates stuck to caribbean waters...where the treasure ships were. The chances of some of the flotsam from the 1715 fleet ending up all the way in New England are pretty slim, I'd try to put a date to the coins...lots of fleets wrecked all around the world. Rather than try to solve how 1715 treasure got up there, lets try to solve what date the treasure actually is. 4 years difference on the date and you have a completely different story to look into. Any pics from old newspaper articles or anything like that at all? A single coin (even undated) can speak volumes.

Jason

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
bell

there are several rumors of treasure in New England. Most are rumors of pirate treasure, as opposed to fleet shipwrecks like the 1715 fleet. Although there are literally thousands of shipwrecks in new england (over 2500 in RI alone).

I live in RI and have heard the rumors from old timers, mders, and old stories alike. Many of the rumors involve the Pirate Kidd... stories of his pirate haul place the treasure on block island, and up naragansett bay. As of yet... i don't think it has been found, or even confirmed. Just like any other treasure... research will be the key.

you do have to remember that the northeast was one of the cultural centers of the "new world". Newport was the playground of the rich, Boston was one of the seats of the revolution... smuggling was abundant, as well as riches and sea travel. (the high school i went to was actually used in the 1900's to smuggle booze during prohibition - there was a tunnel from the rocks on the bay, right up to the "manor house" - and the tunnel was old then)

There is definitely the possibility of treasure here... but nothing like that of the 1715 fleets (that I know of or have heard of). There are several laws regarding the diving of wrecks and "archaeological" sites, and many of the wrecks are protected.

hope that helped... if you have any questions, drop me a line, and i'll see if I can help you or at least point you in the right direction.

steve

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Are you familiar with the Whydah? She went down with coins from the 1715 fleet. Are you looking near her final resting place? I have read the book but cant remember exactly where she went down. Do a little searching and I am sure you can find out. Maybe your friend found some poor soles lost stash that washed up on the beach during the sinking!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,100389.0.html

Keep us updated to what you find out!

Robert

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I've not personally seen the coins. I'm going on an old article( the article doesn't name anyone, and is pretty vague) and talking to people in the area. A couple of people that I've spoken to seem absolutey amazed when I asked them about it. One totally refused to talk to me, to the point of being rude! This made me really suspicious. Anyway, from what I have gathered, the coins were found in the early 1970's and were approximatley 260 years old. I don't think they are from the famed 1715 fleet but you do the math(1975a.d.-260 years=1715). One person in particular has been helpful, knowing I'm a total amatuer and doing this solely for fun. I have not located the owner of the coins. I think due to state treasure laws, they will never be known. Thats why the person who was rude to me when I asked them about it made me curious. This person should have the most knowledge about it due to where they live(near the beach since the 60's). I think this person may own the coins, but they are old and may not like outsiders snooping about their small community. I don't know. It will be a month or so before I can get back to researching. I'm pricing metal detectors today and wishing I could get back to looking. Oh, by the way, for who asked, I'm nowhere near the whydah. Although pirates could have been in the area. The area should be easy to search underwater as a shore dive would be easy(and it's only about 15-35 feet) but scuba gear along with a metal detector I'm afraid would draw onlookers. Thats why I may wait until winter, I drysuit dive, and no beach walkers. Please keep the suggestions coming, thanks guys.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bell47 said:
I'm going on an old article( the article doesn't name anyone, and is pretty vague)...

Be careful if it's an old treasure magazine article. Many of the older issues (like the 70s) were pure fabrication written by authors who didn't use their real names. This accounts for many hours of fruitless research for me!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
bell47, This is only my opinion, so for what ever it's worth. If it was me doing the searching and there is a jetty or rocks right near where the coins were suppose to be found. I would dive around the rocks in the water with a metal detector. Coins tend to get trapped in and around the rocks.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bell47, I got my start treasure hunting along the coast of Maine back in the late 60's as a young adolescent at the Bangor Children's Home. During the summer, we would go to Sandy Point, and I too heard the stories of pirate treasure along the coast from the locals. I would spend my days searching the coast for hidden caves along the rocky shoreline searching for buried treasure.
Research is the key. Now that I am older and wiser, we know that pirates seldom buried any treasure. We also know that many pirates did venture all up and down the New England coast. If there is indeed any treasure that has been discovered, it is most likely from a shipwreck.

Good luck in your search.

Tom

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RGecy, the Whydah went down (and was found) off the Southern side of Cape Cod. And yes, there have been many cobs found all over New England, land and water/beach. Take a drive on any smaller country road, and you realize that the whole area is very old. Most of the towns were established in the late 1700s and early 1800s. Lots of area to cover!

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the WHYDAH, we have found thousands of coins, virtually all Spanish and fortunately all dated prior to 1717, the year she sank!! I live in R.I. also and my metal detecting buddies have found coins from the 1600's in fields and around old houses, stuff like Pine Tree Shillings and even 8 reales.

I am currently working as the archaeologist on 2 wrecks north of Boston, late 1700's, no coins yet but a manifest which suggests there are plenty to be found, I'll keep everyone posted.

Pirate Diver

gitchi9753

Aug 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
JW pulse 8,whites classic surfmaster 6000di,garrett,minelab ex 2
hello there

I shipwreck hunt in Nova Scotia Canada and find that the best thing to do is search two places first scan the shoreline highwater mark ,you dont need a detector for this, look for any old pieces of wood timbers that may be from a ship if you look on the net there are ways of dating anything you might find nails the sheeting used second get hold of maps and overlay them on a present day map try to estimate were the shoreline would have been when the suspected ship went down start working this line i prefer to zig zag 25 yards along my lines if a ship went down there you will find debris this you need a detector for

my two cents worth

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites DFX 300
bell47, If you need or want any help let me know. I don't blame you if you don't. I live in the NE and use an Excalibur 1000. I can't say I've used her diving yet but would love to someday. I love the metal detector for the beach and you can use it underwater. I don't have any experience w/ others so maybe a few people on this board could help. When diving though -- you would have to wear headphones.
Pete

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bell47,

For some light reading that I think would certainly interest you, look up the author Robert Ellis Cayhill. He has some books you might want to look over.

Jason

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
PDJ said:
bell47, If you need or want any help let me know. I don't blame you if you don't. I live in the NE and use an Excalibur 1000. I can't say I've used her diving yet but would love to someday. I love the metal detector for the beach and you can use it underwater. I don't have any experience w/ others so maybe a few people on this board could help. When diving though -- you would have to wear headphones.
Pete

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm gonna go solo on this one. How do you like the excal.?

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
Well, my 2 cents worth is that the coins are most probably from a wreck. In the age category you refer to...who knows? One thing is for certain. Many many vessels used the currents of the east coast to make their way back to europe. They do not refer to the upper coast of Maine as ' Down East" for nothing. It refered to the current for sailing vessels when they were the only thing around. Not to mention that upper Maine.."Machias"...was once a strong hold for pirates. Maybe it is a successful pirate ship that sank that you have discovered. The possibilities are endless. I am involved in a shipwreck right now that has 4 different national coinages. Merchant vessels sold to more than one country during a voyage.
One note of caution...stay away from the state people...they will walk all over you and and leave you with nothing. If states really cared about the historical significance of shipwrecks, they would rethink their strategies to accomodate a very valuable workhorse and commodity...THE WOMEN AND MEN who find these wrecks. Then, they would see much more artifacts coming to them for all to oooo and ahhhhh over.

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
one thing is for sure, If I do find anything, the state would never know of it. Honestly, I probably would not post it on here either. I can say that for now I have found absolutely nothing, so it's not really an issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions