Stolen gold bar from Fisher museum

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny. I like most treasure hunters on here have hefted that bar. Many years ago in Key West when Mel Fisher was aboard that galleon we were introduced to Mel by Dave Fasold (he passed many years ago). When in town we heard a story that someone working for Mel felt he wasn't getting paid well enough and put a silver bar (yeah #70!) under his arm and took off running and they didn't catch him. Another 'story': a person working aboard the galleon couldn't get a raise and to get 'back' he placed battery acid at the base of one of the mast. Took some effort but over time it had it's intended effect and mast came down. The galleon was eventually so deteriorated it was sinking and Mel had put the deal together to move into the end of one of the concrete warehouses that was available when the navy base reverted to civilian use. Dave Fasold was quite a character, my twin brother and I missed him. Bob

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news!!

article states broke... not smashed.

You know why those bars were 80lbs?

Because one man can't grab one and run away.

Where ever that gold bar is I hope it's not melted

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I look at a picture of the gold bar it appears to be XXl..(21 1/2) carats. That means that the bar is relatively soft. I think that the bar could have been easily removed with a threaded J rod and a cross bar across the case. None of us would test how soft a high carat bar is to bend. The reason jewelry is 10-14-18 carat is because 24 carat is too soft. I am not sure what carat gold teeth fillings are.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I read, back when it happened, that a corner of the plexiglass housing was pried open and the bar removed from there.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hefted it too as well. I won't lie and say I was a kid though.

I recall the case was Lexan (Polycarbonate), which is almost impossible to break. I've shot holes in 1/4" Lexan, but it takes quite a bit. A 22 ain't gonna do it; it takes a high power rifle. And you can pound on it forever, good luck.

You can drill it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hefted it too as well. I won't lie and say I was a kid though.

I recall the case was Lexan (Polycarbonate), which is almost impossible to break. I've shot holes in 1/4" Lexan, but it takes quite a bit. A 22 ain't gonna do it; it takes a high power rifle. And you can pound on it forever, good luck.

You can drill it.

But it wasnt a solid piece. The corner joints are the weak spots.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason you are right. I work with Lexan all the time. I made a lot of boxes out of Lexan and glued the joints with MEK. That is the weak spot. It is not fool proof and really meant to keep the honest people from breaking in.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I look at a picture of the gold bar it appears to be XXl..(21 1/2) carats. That means that the bar is relatively soft. I think that the bar could have been easily removed with a threaded J rod and a cross bar across the case. None of us would test how soft a high carat bar is to bend. The reason jewelry is 10-14-18 carat is because 24 carat is too soft. I am not sure what carat gold teeth fillings are.
MY 24 k band found in Fla. in 2017

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I wonder if the Fisher employee who was arrested a couple of years ago, had anything to do with the bar being stolen. This could have helped lead to the arrest of the 2 with theft of the bar. When the case comes to court, I guess we will hear more, then.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason you are right. I work with Lexan all the time. I made a lot of boxes out of Lexan and glued the joints with MEK. That is the weak spot. It is not fool proof and really meant to keep the honest people from breaking in.

I agree.

The bond strength should be at least 80% with Methyl Ethyl Ketone or better with other solvents probably not available back then.

The best tool would be a sawzall or grinder and a few minutes work, but noisy.

It could be simply snipped with a bolt cutter in 3 seconds.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, but thats ignoring the internal framework that the Fisher display had. You could not have physically rotated the bar to face the hole you put your hand through.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree.

The bond strength should be at least 80% with Methyl Ethyl Ketone or better with other solvents probably not available back then.

The best tool would be a sawzall or grinder and a few minutes work, but noisy.

It could be simply snipped with a bolt cutter in 3 seconds.

That's thinking out side the box, I've been thinking popping the case with an enerpak to get the bar out, could have worked. I never thought about getting two half bars out.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked that bar up a few times in the 90's. They could have used something to disengage the panels where they are joined. Or something that expanded from the Inside ? My have been a simple scientific feat..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small Harbor Freight "scissor jack" with large ratchet.
Or small hydraulic piston jack.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's thinking out side the box, I've been thinking popping the case with an enerpak to get the bar out, could have worked. I never thought about getting two half bars out.

i have a disordered brain .......... :tongue3:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to watch people lift that bar... most always tried to twist or move it around ... saw many people pull hard on it as well.

I thought back then that being a soft metal it might be pulled hard and broken in 2 pieces...
or could be scored or pried up / down with a bar till it deformed or broke... then 2 pieces removed.

Some people would even yank hard on it.

Even as a kid I thought... one day it will break and someone is gonna steal that thing.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use to watch people lift that bar... most always tried to twist or move it around ... saw many people pull hard on it as well.

I thought back then that being a soft metal it might be pulled hard and broken in 2 pieces...
or could be scored or pried up / down with a bar till it deformed or broke... then 2 pieces removed.

Some people would even yank hard on it.

Even as a kid I thought... one day it will break and someone is gonna steal that thing.

Isn't it true that gold will not crack no matter how many times you bend it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread