Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: DR Heating Up

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2018
    Virginia Beach
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

DR Heating Up

Hello everyone. I have been lurking and reading this forum for 3years on a nightly basis, decided to make my first post. Native of Virginia, just turned 30, and have been addicted to this site and treasure salvage of the carribean for the past three years. It truly is a psychosis. I have been reading any and all literature as fast as I can obtain it. I know this is a tight knit community with a lot of "big names" and "personalities". it seems like some things are discussed more than others, and stories are always, perhaps not exactly what they seem. Not sure if anyone else is excited as I am about the new happenings (or updates) on my favorite and most intriguing wreck on the silver shoals. Just surprised there hasant been more chatter about this... As always I never mean to step on any toes. Thank you everyone for making this forum what it is.
    Last edited by WaveJunky757; Jan 31, 2018 at 11:08 PM.
    P.ALLEN likes this.

us
    Aug 2003
    East Coast
    1699 times
    Wavejunk757, Welcome to tnet.

us
    Stickmarsh Jedi Master

Mar 2014
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Tesoro Sand Shark...... Atomic SV2 snorkel...... Scubapro Jet Fins................... Mares Puck dive computer....... Sherwood Silhouette BCD....... Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
    1181 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveJunky757 View Post
    Not sure if anyone else is excited as I am about the new happenings (or updates) on my favorite and most intriguing wreck on the silver shoals. Just surprised there hasant been more chatter about this...
    So, start the chatter. Whats on your mind? And welcome.

FYI, Burt Webber attended our annual picnic last year.
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    428 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    I am certain that I have no idea what you are talking about. Are there shipwrecks in the Dominican Republic?
    old man, AARC, MPH200 and 2 others like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    21245 times
    Mmm k... I will bite.

What / which wreck are you referring to ?

There are several known wrecks where you are referring.

Am I to presume this is a new wreck ?

Or are you asking about information on an existing site ?
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - Try the Random Picture Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...hare-tnet.html

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1270 times
    Shipwrecks
    AARC he said the wreck on Silver Shoals. The only one I know of is the Conception. I'm sure there is still more left. Tracy Bowen was the last one to work there. I haven't heard of anyone going back.
    Last edited by Salvor6; Feb 09, 2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added content
    AARC likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    Virginia Beach
    2 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2366.PNG 
Views:	46 
Size:	823.8 KB 
ID:	1550020 Unless I'm missing something or way behind the loop .. This is all public knowledge on a FB page so I feel like sharing it Is justified. Seems to be finding some good things, along with another wreck in the same area. (Is this really old news I'm just finding?)
    Last edited by WaveJunky757; Feb 12, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1051 times
    Shipwrecks
    John Mattera and John Chatterton from several years ago on the Silver Banks, before the present indefinite moratorium.
    John M. posted these pictures in my Shipwreck Hunters Facebook group.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage "C-31"
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

us
    Jan 2018
    Virginia Beach
    2 times
    Thanks for the clarification. That's where I saw them. When it appears to good to be true, it usually is!
    ropesfish likes this.

us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    428 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Jacques Cousteau found a wreck out there too that he couldn't identify. He always wanted to go back and get to the bottom of the wreck. His grandson Phillipe was planning an expediting out there to look at it again with his Travel Channel Show "Caribbean Pirate Treasure". When they wrapped up filming of the episode with Lubos and I, they were supposed to go investigate but the weather thwarted their efforts , as it had ours.

There are always whispers and rumors coming out of the Dominican Republic, but they are often conflicting. One side says full UNESCO signing is imminent, the other says permits for a few are coming soon. The truth is likely that they are telling both sides what they want to hear, and doing absolutely nothing at their usual blistering pace of "oh, wait...tomorrow is a holiday".

In my personal opinion, if you want to find and keep treasure in the Western Hemisphere, you'd better get yourself a 1715 sub-contract or a black flag.

Jason
    Last edited by ScubaFinder; Feb 16, 2018 at 07:21 AM.

us
    Jan 2018
    Virginia Beach
    2 times
    I would imagine there's a lot of good stuff left down there. New wrecks. That reef looks like it would trap things nicely, but then the problem of it growing over anything of importance. You would think these poor countries would fully support people coming in and spending their own money for a 50% cut or greater.

us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1051 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveJunky757 View Post
    I would imagine there's a lot of good stuff left down there. New wrecks. That reef looks like it would trap things nicely, but then the problem of it growing over anything of importance. You would think these poor countries would fully support people coming in and spending their own money for a 50% cut or greater.
    Without naming particular people, countries or NGOs I can say with a high degree of certainty that Americans cannot fully comprehend how inconsistent, corrupt and just plain inept the governments of most small countries can be.
    First, we all know that it is against US law to commit bribery in other countries. With that said, I am told that in most places that there are two reasons it doesn't work anway. One...you pay off one guy to get you to the guy above him only to find that he's expecting 'la mordida' (the bite) as well as is the guy above him...and none of them stay bought. Good ol' American fair play does not travel with us like a bubble of sanity. It's a different world out there.
    In the Bahamas, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic alone, the treasure salvage business could easily be worth $50 million US to each country at a 50/50 split. It won't happen because most 3rd world politicians are too personally greedy (What's in it for me? Why should you get 50%? I want 10% of your 50%!) to make it work as well as being too short sighted to allow it for the good of their country. The Bahamas had a $400 million USD revenue shortfall last year as well as a $7.2 billion USD national debt, but they won't allow anyone to salvage. Jamaica had a $1.6 billion revenue shortfall with a $16.7 billion national debt and no one can salvage. Makes little sense to me.
    signumops likes this.
    Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

“You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”

us
    Dec 2008
    Dominican Republic - Sebastian, Florida
    Aqua Pulse and Pluse 8 JW Fishers, Garret Sea hunter II
    261 times

Whats really going on

Quote Originally Posted by ropesfish View Post
    Without naming particular people, countries or NGOs I can say with a high degree of certainty that Americans cannot fully comprehend how inconsistent, corrupt and just plain inept the governments of most small countries can be.
    First, we all know that it is against US law to commit bribery in other countries. With that said, I am told that in most places that there are two reasons it doesn't work anway. One...you pay off one guy to get you to the guy above him only to find that he's expecting 'la mordida' (the bite) as well as is the guy above him...and none of them stay bought. Good ol' American fair play does not travel with us like a bubble of sanity. It's a different world out there.
    In the Bahamas, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic alone, the treasure salvage business could easily be worth $50 million US to each country at a 50/50 split. It won't happen because most 3rd world politicians are too personally greedy (What's in it for me? Why should you get 50%? I want 10% of your 50%!) to make it work as well as being too short sighted to allow it for the good of their country. The Bahamas had a $400 million USD revenue shortfall last year as well as a $7.2 billion USD national debt, but they won't allow anyone to salvage. Jamaica had a $1.6 billion revenue shortfall with a $16.7 billion national debt and no one can salvage. Makes little sense to me.
    Guys once the ARS/GME case is over in a few months we think around or before April 30th or before, The attorney's on Jan 15th 2018 went before a 16 supreme court judge's , the last step before they decide this part of the case.
    Remember ARS won the constitution part and our artifacts, now we are waiting on damages and getting the artifacts.
    Also yes UNNESCO is trying there dirty tricks to get into the DR again, ( and they have this new Minister of Culture on board ) but they can not pass this as it would be a act of treason, in fact I was told by the head of congress him self this would never pass.But it is the DR And we have no-one in the government supporting us at this time. this is getting ready to possible change.
    In 2 weeks I may be able to tell you more but lets see.
    And no Punta Cana did not sign a agreement with Indiana Unv. through the Gov. Not sure where that rummer started "Lubos any idea"

us
    Jul 2016
    Florida
    52 times
    Bill, I'm no expert in the smaller Caribbean islands and I'm sure what you describe must the reality of many countries around the world. However, I would like to point out that Colombia has designed a fairly balance set of laws that allow for commercial archeology and academic considerations to go hand in hand. In the past years I have gotten to know the country and it many institutions well and I have found them to be professional and honest. I'm not saying that obtaining a permit for exploration and intervention there is easy, but it can be done.

Very soon it will become public the considerations of the recovery of the galleon San Jose. This will be Colombia first project under the new law. Hopefully other countries in the world will watch and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by ropesfish View Post

us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1051 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Archaeology Int. View Post
    Bill, I'm no expert in the smaller Caribbean islands and I'm sure what you describe must the reality of many countries around the world. However, I would like to point out that Colombia has designed a fairly balance set of laws that allow for commercial archeology and academic considerations to go hand in hand. In the past years I have gotten to know the country and it many institutions well and I have found them to be professional and honest. I'm not saying that obtaining a permit for exploration and intervention there is easy, but it can be done.

Very soon it will become public the considerations of the recovery of the galleon San Jose. This will be Colombia first project under the new law. Hopefully other countries in the world will watch and learn.
    Herman, you have a very good point. I sometimes paint with a very broad brush and can be guilty of not giving those who deserve some accolades their due.
    As you say, Colombia has put in place some sensible legislation and regulations, and look to be making good strides in this area. Let us hope that the process goes smoothly, that both parties fulfill their contractual obligations and that their success begins a resurgence of common sense when it comes to the search and salvage business from Ecuador to the Azores...there is treasure to be found!!! Unimaginable treasures!
    Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links