Crushed glass renourishment...

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Once again, another BAD idea from those Florida political jerks (to keep it friendly).

Wonder when they are goin gto realize that it is better to let it be than to continue to repeat a failing, faultering tax money draining program.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
unbelievable! thought you were making it up! good luck Fl. ben

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they do that,no more walking barefoot on the beaches.plus its gonna make it real hard to find the emeralds.It takes years for glass to get rounded so it doesnt cut skin.When i lived in hawaii we used to go to the glass beach dump site.We had to wear booties.there was alot of new glass there that could cut you bad.The government just needs to leave the beaches alone and let nature do its thing.if it all washes away.too bad.no one should be able to rebuild condos,houses,etc,let the land go back to its natural beach front state.way too much money is wasted on renourishing our beaches that need to be spent elsewhere like for free healthcare for every USA citizen.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The people thinking about using glass need to stop and think HOW IN THE HELL CAN A SEA TURTLE DIG A HOLE TO BURY ITS EGGS.
It will raise the Tempreture of the beafch to where noone will be able to walk bare footed.
Now you want to talk about GLOBAL WARMING.
Try a little test:
Take a gallon jug of beach sand and place it in the oven and 100 degrees for 1 hour.
Now take the same amount of ground glass and do the same thing.
The glass will retain the heat a lot longer than the sand will.
I suggest that you use a cooking thermature and check this out.
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN and those that came up with this idea are really STUPID.
Peg Leg

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Peg Leg said:
The people thinking about using glass need to stop and think HOW IN THE HELL CAN A SEA TURTLE DIG A HOLE TO BURY ITS EGGS.
It will raise the Tempreture of the beafch to where noone will be able to walk bare footed.
Now you want to talk about GLOBAL WARMING.
Try a little test:
Take a gallon jug of beach sand and place it in the oven and 100 degrees for 1 hour.
Now take the same amount of ground glass and do the same thing.
The glass will retain the heat a lot longer than the sand will.
I suggest that you use a cooking thermature and check this out.
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN and those that came up with this idea are really STUPID.
Peg Leg

I was just wondering why ground glass would retain the heat longer than beach sand as they of the same composition( quartz= glass). Perhaps the beach sand is more rounded and forms a looser pack which would allow heat to escape more quickly?

George

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Oh man, that is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard this month.

Imagine the lawsuits waiting to happen from implementing this. "Oh no! Johnnie went to play in that doctored sand and it cut up his feet and hands!" <video clip on evening news showing little kid screaming as he walks toward parent (who just happens to have a video camera) dripping blood all over the place>
It won't matter if it's claimed that the glass was ground down to a 'safe' size. ("Well, you missed some...") Somebody unprincipled enough to stage such an incident could very well hit the jackpot...

The sea turtle argument is actually a pretty good one. ("What would glass shards do to the shells of endangered sea turtle eggs?") I sense 10+ years of environmental impact studies would be needed (hint hint) to prove that it's not harmful to wildlife, which would derail the project from the outset. Where's Greenpeace when ya need'em? ;)

Of course, the easiest and cheapest solution would be to just buy all the affected beachfront property, demolish any structures on it, convert it to dunes, and let nature take it's course.

p.s. All you out-of-staters, please feel free to call our FL politicians all the nasty names you want. They don't listen to us FL folk anymore... ;)

OP
OP
NC_Bob

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
FYI: The article says "crushed into tiny grains and mixed with regular sand" so perhaps the cut feet issue isn't as bad as folks think (and I have a buddy in Maine who walks on freshly smashed mason jars as part of a sideshow act, but that's another story...). But I agree that all this renourishment does seem like an expensive, unnecessary, and futile waste of effort and money.

Anyone know who the turtle folks are? Maybe they should be told about it (on the offchance they don't already know).

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine owns the turtle hospital in marathon in the keys.im going down there on friday.ill tell him how they are
planning on how to mess up the beaches with the glass.his hospital has grants from the state to save injured turtles.if anyone can sway what they are goin to do it would be him.

Attachments

• babyturtle.jpg
    babyturtle.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 229
  • babyturtle.jpg
    babyturtle.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 227

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
How many of you have even paid much attention to the material used in REFLECTIVE road makers.
The yellow paint is sprayed and then covered with GROUND GLASS. In a few minutes the glass is swept up and thrown away.
This ground glass is now CONTAMINATED and cannot be used again so it is dumped where ever the Paint crew wants to dump it and check this out. I was told that 1 gallon of this ground glass cost about $8.00.
Wonder how manny BILLIONS of $$$ it would cost to do a small beach and just think after a storm it would be gone anyway.
It will never end. But just imagine what the beach would look like with all the colored glass being intergrated with the white sand -Brown from beer bottles, Green from wine bottles and yes even some Blue and Red. Vey colorfull.
You could forget about looking for Emeralds or any other precious stones.
Peg leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
All the material found on a beach is not just sand. There are pieces of coral and other things mixed with the sand.
I do not think that GLASS will even work on a project this size.
I would be cheaper to dredge and replenish the beach sand with what Mother Nature started with in the beginning.
Talked with a man last week that walked a beach that had been replenished with material from a barrow pit and he had MUD sticking to his feet-He and his family left and said they would never come back to this area.
Peg Leg

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've got glass beads in my blasting chamber, and it feels and acts like fine sand. True beach sand is smooth from constant abrasion. Dredging from offshore restores little of the true beach material, and trucking dirt from a borrow pit results in a nasty beach, like Peg Leg pointed out.

The only way to renourish a beach properly is with true beach sand. Period.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Where can you get true beach sand.
Indian River, Sikes Creek and anywhere between the Indian River and the Mainland but the problem here is HOW TO TRANSPORT THIS SAND TO THE BEACHES.
The first few feet will be trash.
I watched the Corp of Engineers dredge up the island that you now see in the Indian River and after a few day there was clean white sand being pumped.
Finding the WHITE sand is not a problem but getting it to the beach is.
The whole coast line of Florida is BEACH SAND.It is all the other crap that has been brough in as Land Fill that is the problem.
It is hard for me to believe that the sand in the Ocean is not true beach sand. Please explain where it came from to start with. I few millions of years ago it started in the Smokey mountains and came south.
There is not p[lace in the State of Florida that you can drill to any depth that you will notrt hit white. In my back yard you cannot dig 4 feet down and not hit white sand.
It will take someone with some smarts to figure how to do this and it damn sure will not be the Corp. of Enginners.
Peg Leg

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
I'm no expert but if florida is only producing 15.600 tons of recycled glass and the total needed is over 1 million tons then the glass only makes up 1.5% of the total, personally I think the PC brigade are over reacting. Far better to spend the effort working out a way to replenish the beaches than shoot down ideas. at the rate that is suggested in the article for every 10,000 grains of sand in your sand castle 150 of them will be crushed glass hardly call to get overly worried and we are not talking about glass shards we are talking about crushed granulated glass which is almost indistinct from sand since that is where it came from to begin with.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The beach sand on the coast is from the mountains. It washes down the rivers from The Carolinas south, and wave action transports it south. Sand in and under Florida is from erosion and glacial activity over millions of years, and only partially contributes to the beach environment. Often this material is found offshore ajacent to the beach, but is actually part of the longshore environment.

True beach sand is round. Some beaches further south are composed of coarser material largely derived from either existing coastline or ocean bottom material. you will notice this material is rough and jagged, and the beaches are steeper. The finer the beach material, the flatter the beach, as in Daytona. Isolated areas such as St. Augustine have coquina, which is a consolidated sediment of shells.

The really fine sands are easily windblown, and are trapped by shoreline vegetation to form dunes. Often beach sand is indeed carried into inlets to form sandbars, and could be returned to the beach system through pumping. Frankly, I don't know why more of this is not done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions