Woman Key/ Kirby

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Has anyone seen anything like this? R Gecy, you were diving that area in the past, you have any ideas as to what these objects might be?

This item from the Woman Key/Kirby site has us perplexed. At first the romantic side wants to call it a spearhead, but perhaps it is a plumb bob. It appears too small to be a lead line, but who knows? What we do know is that it is hard, shiny, non ferrous and it is not lead. What do you think?

Attachments

• spear-head1.jpg
    spear-head1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 541
OP
OP
Rustys Mate

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
These are pictures of the iron pellets or ingots that we seem to be finding in the Woman Key/Kirby area. The rough pictures are obviously what they look like on the bottom and then they clean up to the object that you see. Obviously they are old due to the amount of encrustation. Some have been sent to the University of Toronto for analysis.

Attachments

• pellets-rough-and-smooth.jpg
    pellets-rough-and-smooth.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 526

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Rusty's Mate
I think I have one identical to yours. At first I thought it was part of a fishing lure. Would love to know what it is. I will try to post a picture.
Seahunter

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Are there any more pictures? Its hard to tell from that one. Is it flat, or does it have a thicker cross section?

Robert

OP
OP
Rustys Mate

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Robert, it is kind of flat, it does look like a spear head. Go to the link that Jeff posted, there are better pictures.

P

paddy.mick

huh...non-ferrous and not lead would leave aluminium correct (unless silver but...)? I like the lure apparatus best so far since it looks like it was leader cast/clamped and the wire pulled out.
Paddy

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Since you are right there in Key West, drop in at 200 Greene St,I hear they have a couple of world class Conservation labs. ;)

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It sure looks like a silver tipped arrow(head) to me.

I was just reading the book, Funnel of Gold by Peterson, and he mentioned this was one of the (few) uses the indians had for all the silver they recovered from shipwrecks.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The little pieces could be modern, as it only takes a year or so to get that much coralline to grow. But it does look like concretion. The one that is cleaned up looks like a Chevy door pivot pin shim, but they are bronze, not iron. A broken one! Have you figured out what the spear head looking thing is made out of yet? It does not look to be a spear head, as it has 2 holes on it. It appears to be cast also, and those could be flues.

OP
OP
Rustys Mate

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
crzhors...
I am not in Key West. I posted here as I was asked since they know I hang out here. But, I emailed Randy with response.
Thanks

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the childhood story......the sky is falling.....the sky is falling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread