raise the jollyroger

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just go to the state run Mclarty museum in sebastian near the inlet if you want to see all the fake and replica artifacts.even the large iron cannon is a fake.i havent been to any of the other state museums.maybe you should go to them all and spend your money to get in them,then report back to us which ones have the real stuff.

Attachments

• jolly_roger_a1b.gif
    jolly_roger_a1b.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 298

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I was at the museum with my boss in Tallassee on business last week, they are all the real deal there. Also spent time in the lab with the Archies, amazing! Great field trip!

Diverlynn

P

paddy.mick

The museum at Sebastian was robbed a couple times, so fakes had to be put in. The younger guy there tells the story of some small time dingbat climbing in through the eaves and then getting busted with some of the treasure in Orlando. The rest of it? Who knows...
The museum in Tallahassee makes cannon moulds for any museum that asks, so there are these concrete cannons in various places that normally wouldn't be able to show off a cannon. I saw one at a state park recently.
Paddy

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hi Mick-
Yeah, the robber dingbat is the story I heard too.
The McLarty is kinda in a remote area off A1A, and seems to be a location that would be easy to rob, I guess, if that was your idea of getting crack money (or whatever).....anyway, here's what I wanted to say: Somebody ought to put their foot down and say to the State that this is unacceptable! We have been busting our butts salvageing and giving our required 25% to the state, only to have them squirrel it away in a vault in Tallahassee, and NOT to put it on display for the public ON THE TREASURE COAST where we (and the tourists) expect to be able to view it.
Over the weekend, I had a rare opportunity to take my Dad over to visit the McLarty, and show him some of the history and treasure of this area.
I was, I'm sorry to say, kinda embarassed to tell him, as we looked at stuff, that almost everything we saw there was fake! (*&^%$#......whats up with that??? In this day and age, they could install a decent alarm system and protect everything....right? Anyway, thats my rant. Anyone else have an opinion?

OP
OP
wailinmacs

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
if the salvers were able to keep everything they find and let the state make replicas or even borrow items for a while then i, the tourist could look my kid in the eye , say "that a fake and the brave guy who found it has it at home , great world we live in ain't it". but to have it in a vault were no one will enjoy it makes me sick . also to think i a criminal for picking up something 50 years old, makes my stomach hurt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread