Florida Historic sea level

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Many peeps have asked "what was the sea level at the time of the 1715 fleet?" Just got done reading about this. It appears that for the past 1000 years or so, the sea level has risen at the rate of 4cm (about 1-1/2") per century, or 4-5" since the fleet sank. Thus, there will be little beach change due to sea level. Any change in the beach profile would be due to erosion, which has only occurred to any extent in the last century, and then mostly on the south side of stabilized inlets. Some beaches have become steeper, due to the disappearance of true fine beach sand.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everyone thinks because of this so called global warming scam making the ice caps melt that the oceans are rising.the land/beaches are slowly being eroded away making it look like the ocean is rising.4 inches in 2-300 years is nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
True "coquina" is only found at St. Augustine. The coarse crap south of Sebastian may have been pumped from offshore during a "renourishment". It may have been trucked from another source (borrow pit) and the fines have washed out, leaving the crap that is there now. I don't know what they did with the spoil from the digging of the inlet, but the beach has receded considerably on the south side due to the stabilization. This has eroded both beach sand and the underlying hardpan layer, which is pretty coarse by itself.

Good question.

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Pooling can occur where the water velocity/turbulance is low. kinda like recessed pockets/troughs that trap stuff. Haven't seen it, but it is present in many areas along the coast..Martin County in particular. If it's scoured clean, it is a high energy zone.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
FISHEYE said:
everyone thinks because of this so called global warming scam making the ice caps melt that the oceans are rising.the land/beaches are slowly being eroded away making it look like the ocean is rising.4 inches in 2-300 years is nothing to worry about.

If thats honestly what you think fisheye then that is your oppinion and you are entitled to it, but if you do a little research you will see how far some of the polar caps have melted. Along the golf coast of america much of the land is below sea level. the not so long ago floods that hit that part of the states bare testament to this. just take a look at the damage to the coast line and you will see most of it has occured during the last 100 years. el ninio is very real and effects weather patterns all over the world

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
FISHEYE said:
Thats odd because I talked to a fellow that lives on the beach at Sandy Point (south of Vero) and he told me he already has lost 100 feet of his yard to the ocean (he has pictures) and now he is hoping the seawall he was forced to build will hold back the ocean. I dont worry too much about it myself because I am middle aged and dont own beach property that has to be constantly renourished. I will agree that some beaches do not erode as fast as others. But when the average home is only several feet above sea level without fill in South Florida, every few inches is important.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time theres a hurricane you have storm surge.it can be 1 foot to 30 foot depending on how big the storm is.this has nothing to do with the riseing sea due to the so called global warming and ice caps melting garbage that all you sheep seem to believe.if land is lower then sea level,then its going to flood.if its above sea level and the storm surge is greater,its going to flood and wash away the sand or land.new orleans is the perfect example of what can happen.not the levies breaking from the lake side.look at the sat photos from before and after.it can happen anywhere along the coasts.to prevent loss of sand the only solution is to build a 40-50 foot seawall out of steel and concrete.but that is too costly so the fed just dump more crappy sand on the beaches thinking its going to solve the problem.till the next big hurricane....

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cappy Z; working all the angles; playing the percentages. ;D

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
I see your powers of debate are unequaled fisheye, I would sooner not get into name calling as it only shows weakness in your arguement. I am no sheep, I never jumped on no band wagon and im not a green peace member or a liberal, what I have learned I learned from reseach and not from tabloid stories, as I said you are entitled to your oppinion, and since it is you who lives there and not me it would seem you have more to lose than I do if you are wrong.

best of luck to you Gary

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The loss of land along the coast at Vero is due more to erosion from stabilized inlets above it than sea level rise.

Martin County has royally screwed up its beaches. Tiger shores beach, where the PollyL is, is downright NASTY from the CRAP the pumped from an offshore site. The natural beach, and any goodies, is under several feet of this crap. The dunes are reconstituted also. And we have a "coastal engineer" who is supposed to know what they are doing. South of the inlet is still natural, but a state park. I've hunted there, and not even a pull tab appeared. The south end of st. Lucie County isn't too bad, but again, beach repair has been undertaken so the condo commandos are placated.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
proof of global warming

Attachments

• l_c3222508954576b380a0903953591a6d_1188869330879762010.jpg
    l_c3222508954576b380a0903953591a6d_1188869330879762010.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 191

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
billinstuart said:
The loss of land along the coast at Vero is due more to erosion from stabilized inlets above it than sea level rise.
The public beach at 17st Vero is natural. The caretaker told me that sand is not needed on this beach and never was because it naturally accumulates. Maybe that is why the Ais located their village here. Walk further south to Sandy Point and the owners of beach front property have told me they are losing beach at an alarming rate to where a seawall is now needed. Some beaches gain while others lose.

Peerless, that is the best proof of global warming I have ever seen and cannot be denied. Great research.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Quote Billinstuart "Peerless, that is the best proof of global warming I have ever seen and cannot be denied. Great research."

Yeah I cant wait till 2010 :D :D :D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions