boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
NC

hello charles, hope this helps, may need to go there are contact them. boomer

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum
Hatteras, North Carolina, museum is dedicated to the state's maritime history and shipwrecks off the Outer Banks. Visit the various galleries, and learn about the museum.
www.graveyardoftheatlantic.com

C

Charles, Oak Island,NC

Thanks Boomer, I do have plains of visiting it . Will probable after I retire this summer and I have time to do some traveling ( down to one job). Will spend today looking at the web site you sent.

Thanks again

Attachments

• SandstoneinGranite.jpg
    SandstoneinGranite.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

jedihepner

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2004
Mount Carmel, NE PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey Charles,

I have long been interested in the graveyard of the Atlantic and the tales of pirates. I have a friend that lives in Manteo and works in the hospital in Nags Head that I visit often. While visiting him I can often be found trying my hand at metal detecting on the beach, surf, and other assorted places. I haven't found anything interesting yet but as you know, you'll never find anything unless you look! Anyway I believe that I remember reading something about a Spanish Galleon that sank somewhere off Hatteras. I believe that it was called LaGlaga and that they were never to sure where off Hatteras it went down, unlike the El Salvador, Soledad, and the Guadaloupe that they have some general ideas as to where they lay. It sounds like you have a great retirement project! I only wish that I could join you!! Good luck with the research and keep us posted with what you manage to uncover, it should prove to be interesting reading!

Sincerely,
Clint

C

Charles, Oak Island,NC

Clint, Robert Max's puts La Galga sunk 15 leagues(a league being about 3 miles) north of Cape Charles Va.pg 167, Shipwrecks in The Americas.
Dave Horner places the La Galga (The Greyhound) ashore near Currituck Inlet. Chapter 15, The Treasure Galleons')

jedihepner

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2004
Mount Carmel, NE PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey Charles,

Obviously my information is inaccurate or old. Sorry for that, but it looks like you have really done quite a bit of homework already! Thanks for the correction and good luck in your search!

Sincerely,
Clint

C

Charles, Oak Island,NC

Clint, I am looking for 2 more sources I have around here somewhere since those to put it about locations are over 100 miles apart.

Attachments

• Trash First Hunt.jpg
    Trash First Hunt.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 24
  • First Silver.jpg
    First Silver.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 25
  • First Hunt TRF.jpg
    First Hunt TRF.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
C

Charles, Oak Island,NC

But I do tend to favor Horner

C

Charles, Oak Island,NC

David Stick's Book Gravyard of The Atlantic also shows one of the 1750 Plata Fleet going in at Currituck Inlet but does not name the vessel.

C

Charles, Oak Island,NC

I am going to attempt to compile a list of Spanish shipwrecks off NC, any help adding to it will be greatly appreciated. Want to try and research them after retirement (near future, and time for the library).
Fortuna 1748
El Salvador 1750
N.S.de Guadalupe 1750
N.S.de Soledad 1750
La Gagla 1750
El San Pedro 1796
Santa Rosa 1804
San Antonio 1813

Up dated list. thanks Clint

jedihepner

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2004
Mount Carmel, NE PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey Charles,

I'm glad to be of help. I hope that the La Gagla pans out. If you do find her there say hi for me and if she's real nice to you and gives up her goodies, send me a coin. Somewhere I still remember hearing of at least one more that should be on that list! I'll keep my eyes and ears open and try to look over my old books and papers for any more old girls and send what I find your way!!! Keep us posted as to what you find as well. Those old ladies always make me daydream and wonder!

Wishing you luck with the project,
Clint

OP
OP
C

Charles, Oak Island, NC

Clint, I will take any help you can give and be most thankful for it. My intent is to collect as much info on the Spanish Wrecks and then make it available in print for other arm chair treasure hunters or as a good starting point for those interested in the search.
I have mine that I am looking for which sould keep me going for years.
thanks again.

The search (research) will keep you young at heart.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
ships of NC

Charles, found this site it has listings for NC of 1600 ship wrecks. boomer

Randy's List of Ship Wrecks
Randy's List of Ship Wrecks New links are Wreck Web Sites Scottish Shipwrecks - their history, locations Copyright ? 1998 Randall C. Allen - All rights reserved Comments to: [email protected] ... ... On Display Around the World. Bob Hampton's Shipwrecks ...
www.searover.com/rca/scuba/lists/scuba_lst_wrecks.shtml

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
ships

i was looking up some info and found this site. go to the bottom of page, key on Wreck databases and lists. boomer

treasure
The Secretmine of LOST TREASURE Oregon Treasure Research Center The Oregon Treasure Research Center provides information about Oregon's more than 140 lost mines and treasures. ... The Secretmine of LOST TREASURE. Lost Treasure In Indiana - The List ...
www.secretmine.com/treasure.htm

treasureldy

Jul 21, 2003
Colorado
Just found a map published by National Geographic in 1970 based on David Stick's info,Navy Record and info from the mariner's museum. Someone went to the trouble of having it professionally mounted on acid free paper and shadow matted. Let me know if you're still looking for info. It lists many (500) shipwrecks Off Cape Hatteras.
Natalie

Attachments

• IMAG1274.jpg
    IMAG1274.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG1273.jpg
    IMAG1273.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0628.jpg
    IMAG0628.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG1269.jpg
    IMAG1269.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 24

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The El Salvador 1750 was found by Mike Maguire,he will be in admirality court this comming monday.I will let you all know of the out come or the court descion.Charles,you can knock this one off your list.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fisheye,

Any update on the admiralty case on the El Salvador yet?

Darren

E

elsalvador

Other wrecks are:

1819 Santa Maria da Esperanca, 700-tons burden, Portuguese west of Beaufort Inlet

1819 Santissima Trinidad, 100-tons burden, Spanish, west of Beaufort Inlet

For these and other valuable wrecks around the globe check out sevenseaspublishing.com

C

Charles,Oak Island

elsalvador
from fishyeys post above you'll need to change the story on "Beyond the reach of any man"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread