The admiralty process

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Darren...
an admiralty claim for what?

Technically, any dispute that occurs on "navigable waters" is covered under "admiralty" and is under the jurisdiction of the federal courts. Disputes over pay, "necessaries" (ie fuel, food, maintenance) for ships, personal injuries, ownership, etc... are all admiralty cases if on navigable water. Basically any action you could have in state court could be under federal jurisdiction if on the water.

If it is for "salvage" or possession, then filing a claim is essentially a "lawsuit", in federal court, to quiet title and get a judgment of possession from the court. If you want, drop me an email. When I was in law school, I did some work for a small firm regarding a few Admiralty claims. I'll be happy to point you in the right direction if I can

steve

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In florida to file a admiralty claim 10 years ago it was around 5k.and it took a federal judge that took over a year to process it.now im sure its more money and maybe about the same time.do a search on the net for it.let me know what you find out,i may need to do one as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread