Museum site at Bonsteel ??

cache sniper 1715

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne Beach
Hello all: I've been a lurker for several years, and have gained much info from the posts am now committed to getting out and doing some beach hunting this Autumn. Seeing the Museum construction at the site of the old Chucks at Bonsteel Beach was wondering if anyone has found anything near the construction disturbed area. I have heard the rumors of the possibility of a dune submerged wreck similar to Corrigans. I am a Meteorologist in my real job and follow storm and swell possibility closely. Feel free to chat in private or here. I look forward to contributing my specialty area which is obviously weather conditions.

JP

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Have you been there? I did not know anything was happening there. I havent driven past there in months. Steve. PS Oh and welcome!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cornelius said:
No Ivan . If they were North of the storm they would have been blown to the West . Read my thread on ,, the wind the wind ,, . Cornelius ( ps . that is if they were directly North of the storm , something I don't agree with )
True. Hurricanes blow in a large counterclockwise circle, the NW quadrant often being the strongest. Right cache sniper?

Attachments

• hurricane.jpg
    hurricane.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 238

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
I believe, Ivan is right!. North movement, because 1 or 2 ships from the 15 fleet went
down because of the storm. being pushed by the storm Northward: 1. off somewhere Saint Augustine, and the other somewhere at Amelia Island: which is North. from the main fleet went down.

Cache sniper, I was there at bonsteel,. two weeks ago, sand was very high, but sand moves every day.

good Luck sapper

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sapper23 said:
Cache sniper, I was there at bonsteel,. two weeks ago, sand was very high, but sand moves every day.

good Luck sapper
sapper, was there any construction?

OP
OP
C

cache sniper 1715

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne Beach
Thanks for the responses, For those who haven't driven by Bonsteel Beach in South Brevard county in awhile the county has finally constructed a coastal habitat museum at the site of the Old Chuck's Steakhouse. The structure is basically finished and it looks as though they are finishing out the interior. Now given that numerous coins have been found after storms @ the beach with no signs of cannon or ballast pile offshore there have been some theories floated about what could have deposited them there. If what Ive read about the captains logs on other forums is correct the first of the fleet was slightly somewhere due south of Canaveral when they really got beat to the west and possibly south by the wind. Based on the description I believe the storm approached them from the South-South east, which is a common track of "recurving" hurricanes in the tropics. The storm may have had a similar track to Hurricane Floyd in 1999 but closer to the coast. The same storm also destroyed the crops in Saint Augustine which lends additional evidence to a storm moving northward up the east coast. I wouldn't expect these ships made much progress north before being beat to the shoals. This argues for he possibility north of Sebastian Inlet as well if there was any progress of the initial ships north of Sebastian lnlet. Does anyone know what order the ships were in line as related to the ones still missing ??

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The theory is that the coins at the old steakhouse site are coming out of the dunes, not the ocean, because of the excellent condition of the cobs. More dunes erode, more cobs on the beach. The time to search would have been early in the construction.

OP
OP
C

cache sniper 1715

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne Beach
As far as those construction folks there its probably "what happens at Chucks stays at Chucks" if you know what I mean. They also put in a boardwalk across the dune from the boardwalk that crosses over to Bonsteel Beach next door. I checked the site on Fri to see if the surf made it to the dune but it didn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread