Aquamarine From 1715 Fleet?

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ever found a raw aquamarine from the 1715 Fleet... whether on the beach or diving. I know of several gold and aquamarine rings that have been recovered over the years from these wrecks but don’t know if any raw stones have come up other than emeralds...

I have a beach spot that has been producing raw Colombian Muzo emeralds from one of the 1715 Fleet wrecks known to have been carrying 132 chests of emeralds, but have now also found a raw aquamarine in the same spot! Very excited about this find and would appreciate any insight that anyone may have about this... thanks in advance...
Here’s a pic of the raw aquamarine and a raw Muzo emerald found in the same area on the beach at the same Wreck site...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526962130.544205.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526962150.135932.jpg

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The aquamarine is actually a bit lighter and a bit more blue than the photo shows... for some reason, with the lighting used I guess, it looks greener than it is...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an emerald my friend. IMO

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like emerald to me too.......fantastic find, congrats !! Im familiar with aqua marine, as we find it on our property in north carolina. The brushy creek mine is very close to our property and both emeralds and aquamarine are found in close proximity. our house is built on the tailings of the Crabtree creek emerald mine.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Emerald and Aquamarine are both Beryls, so would have the same crystal form. You don't have any size reference on the first photo. I suspect it's quite small. First photo is a four sided crystal, whereas Beryl takes a six sided form. The first photo is a sapphire, IMO.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your input...

The aquamarine is 37.5 carats... quite large. The emerald is also large but being encrusted, there’s no way to tell carat weight of it and I won’t remove it from the conglomerate.

The stone in the first photo has been confirmed as an aquamarine so I know that for sure... just curious if anyone has recovered one from the 1715 Fleet wrecks to date... it seemed like an odd find but there is no other really explainable reason for it being on the beach let alone finding it in the same area as the wreck and finding numerous emeralds in the same location as well...

Anyway, hours and hours of sifting sand sucks but I’m pleased with the results[emoji106]🏻

Any further thoughts, ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your input...

The aquamarine is 37.5 carats... quite large. The emerald is also large but being encrusted, there’s no way to tell carat weight of it and I won’t remove it from the conglomerate.

The stone in the first photo has been confirmed as an aquamarine so I know that for sure... just curious if anyone has recovered one from the 1715 Fleet wrecks to date... it seemed like an odd find but there is no other really explainable reason for it being on the beach let alone finding it in the same area as the wreck and finding numerous emeralds in the same location as well...

Anyway, hours and hours of sifting sand sucks but I’m pleased with the results[emoji106]🏻

Any further thoughts, ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.
Wow....double congrats phips !! 37.5 carats, holy cow !! Dosent really matter much if its blue or green !! In my opinion thats one of the most banner worthy finds ive ever seen here. Especially if you found it in the sand and not diving off one of the salvage boats !! My hats off to you sir !!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the angle of your first photo gave me the impression of a double terminated four sided crystal. Does any angle on that show a six sided crystal? If it is what it appears, double terminated, four sides, it cannot be an aquamarine. They do not grow in that form. Who confirmed it as aquamarine? As for your question about finding different types of gemstones from the same wreck, why not? The Spanish shipped any and all valuable gemstones found, mined, or stolen.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hawks88 & BlakBart...

Kray, I took it to a jeweler locally (unfortunately don’t know any true gemologists in the area)...

I would certainly expect that the ships were carrying all kinds of precious stones but other than raw emeralds, this is the first time I’ve ever found another type of stone in its raw form... and of course in jewelry pieces there were a wide variety of semi and precious stones...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray... it looks like the aquamarine is only a piece broken off of a bigger crystal as one side has the natural angles and the other is rough... may have been “barrel” shaped at one point like the emeralds... I am seeking other professional input to confirm it is in fact an aquamarine...

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm thinking I don't have a good view of it that's all. I'm not challenging you. Congrats on the two great finds!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like emerald to me too.......fantastic find, congrats !! Im familiar with aqua marine, as we find it on our property in north carolina. The brushy creek mine is very close to our property and both emeralds and aquamarine are found in close proximity. our house is built on the tailings of the Crabtree creek emerald mine.

Dang Bart, I used to prospect for Aquamarine just a few mountains over at the Ray Mica Mine just outside of Burnsville from 1995 to around 2002. I have even looked in the general area where the Brushy Creek and Crabtree Emerald Mines are located But back in the mid to late 90's, it was a dangerous area in which to prospect as several people were shot and killed while prospecting.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s a photo of an aquamarine that is the same color and clarity as mine... but is almost 500 carats!!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527016436.835491.jpg

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ever found a raw aquamarine from the 1715 Fleet... whether on the beach or diving. I know of several gold and aquamarine rings that have been recovered over the years from these wrecks but don’t know if any raw stones have come up other than emeralds...

I have a beach spot that has been producing raw Colombian Muzo emeralds from one of the 1715 Fleet wrecks known to have been carrying 132 chests of emeralds, but have now also found a raw aquamarine in the same spot! Very excited about this find and would appreciate any insight that anyone may have about this... thanks in advance...
Here’s a pic of the raw aquamarine and a raw Muzo emerald found in the same area on the beach at the same Wreck site...

View attachment 1593079 View attachment 1593080

Phips, is it for sell ??

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom... the aquamarine is but haven’t decided whether I want to part with the emerald yet... i will probably enjoy it for a short time and then let it go... I’ll let you know if i decide to sell it

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ivan... and you do stellar research sir!! [emoji106]🏻 Anything going on with the Amelia Island 1715 site?

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of folks have in our area because of the wrecks... I typically sift on the beach inshore from some of the wrecks for them but some have been spotted mixed in with shells and others have found them working the wrecks. No matter where you find them, they are beautiful!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions