Blazer11

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s the one. Some accounts say there were only 3 ships, 2 of which went north and 1 went south when the storm hit. With that being said, I’ve also heard that all 3 sailed south to escape the storm. My dad would always tell me about the 3 French ships that sank at Daytona but the story was not filled with details or facts for that matter.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Man I wish we had good stories like that on the west coast. But the water is cold, dark, and extra dangerous and when ships went missing even close to shore they are almost always untouchable because our shelf drops off so fast. In Florida you can be 4 miles off shore and be in 200 feet of water. Here you go 100 yards off shore and the water is that deep it seems like.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Well move over to the west coast of FL and you can make your own stories like that.

Ohhh man. I’ve been to Florida. Good to visit but I’m not sure I want to live there. I’ll stick to the Pacific Northwest. The west coast actually had a wealthier galleon fleet. The Manila galleons. But treasure hunting has never really caught on here. Generally for the reasons stated above.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bit of a swim from the PAC NW to the Manila Galleons, no?

Wealthier for the time?

Beeswax?

Last edited:

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Bit of a swim from the PAC NW to the Manila Galleons, no?

Wealthier for the time?

Beeswax?

Wealthier than the Atocha galleons period. The Manila galleons ran from the Asian continent across the Pacific to Mid-Oregon then down the coast to Panama. There is a Town in Oregon called Gold Beach, just north of the California border. It’s called gold beach, not because of gold but because one of the Manila Galleons wrecked right off the coast there. One of the main things it was carrying was amber and even today you can find it washed up on the beach. That’s what gave it, it’s name. There are stories of them wrecking around the Channel Islands also though I am not sure there was ever been anything recovered or any wrecks positively identified from them. They were definitely all up and down the Pacific Coast. The wrecks here are just FAR more inaccessible.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umm, the Nehalum beeswax wreck has yet to recover anything but beeswax. I would not consider that, or the wrecks coming from that direction of little to marginal value as far as what we would consider treasure these days.

I believe they were bringing goods of value to the Americas to trade for silver and bring supplies to the Americas, not bring it with them. As the Asian markt valued silver, not gold, ships returning would have been loaded with silver.

This northern route TO the Americas would not have been loaded with anything of much value today.

The galleon trade was supplied by merchants largely from port areas of Fujian who traveled to Manila to sell the Spaniards spices, porcelain, ivory, lacquerware, processed silk cloth and other valuable commodities. Cargoes varied from one voyage to another but often included goods from all over Asia - From China, jade, wax, gunpowder and silk from China; amber and cotton from India; rugs from India; spices from the East Indies and a variety of goods from Japan, including fans, chests, screens and porcelain.

The Chinese porcelain market was not hot until a few hundred years later, and since we do not find the Chinese porcelain, jade, and lacquerware in South America, I am doubtful very much of it was traded.

1024px-Andres_Urdaneta_Tornaviaje.jpg

The route going back with the treasure was not up the West Coast
1920px-16th_century_Portuguese_Spanish_trade_routes.png

Last edited:

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
umm, the Nehalum beeswax wreck has yet to recover anything but beeswax. I would not consider that, or the wrecks coming from that direction of little to marginal value as far as what we would consider treasure these days.

I believe they were bringing goods of value to the Americas to trade for silver and bring supplies to the Americas, not bring it with them. As the Asian markt valued silver, not gold, ships returning would have been loaded with silver.

This northern route TO the Americas would not have been loaded with anything of much value today.

The galleon trade was supplied by merchants largely from port areas of Fujian who traveled to Manila to sell the Spaniards spices, porcelain, ivory, lacquerware, processed silk cloth and other valuable commodities. Cargoes varied from one voyage to another but often included goods from all over Asia - From China, jade, wax, gunpowder and silk from China; amber and cotton from India; rugs from India; spices from the East Indies and a variety of goods from Japan, including fans, chests, screens and porcelain.

View attachment 1685998

The route going back with the treasure was not up the West Coast
View attachment 1685999

Does recovered beeswax have any value?

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does recovered beeswax have any value?

You can find pieces regularly on the beach after a storm. I have not heard of anyone placing much value on it.

I suspect there was an abundance of spice on the vessels.

NOTE: Due to massive thread drift, further posts on new Manila Galleons thread...sorry.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread