ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No... I have never heard of any... but nothing surprises me anymore.

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
No... I have never heard of any... but nothing surprises me anymore.

He said he found them about 8 years ago and they are now covered in sand. Interesting. Wouldn’t share but I have a ball park idea where.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The east side of Florida is so littered with wrecks... both known and unknown its crazy... so this being a viable story / location is totally possible.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck... got the free time and the will... go give it a looksee... AFTER a good "blow". (storm)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Archives there is this BTW...

"Ring Led Him to $1.6 Million Cache In Gold, Daytona Beach Sunday
News‐Journal, 28 Mar 1965."

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If anything,a lot of privateers were sunk,captured,during the revolution.Im talking 6,7,8 hundred,the true number will probably never be known.Thats just American ships.England probably lost much of the same,not including ships of the line.They could of been tossed to lighten a ship.

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
The gun runner, The Commodore, went down south of Daytona in the late 1800’s with Steven Crane aboard. While I was the DiveMaster for the Volusia County Reef team we made a documentary for the A&E channel called ‘A Prelude to the Spanish American War’. The captain was thought to have gone down with a money belt with gold in it. As far as I know it’s never been found.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I knew some lobster divers who found a wreck with gold coins off Port Orange near Daytona. About 4 miles out. Saw the coins myself.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know someone that found a cannon and a anchor off near shore new smyrna and he had a lease with the state but the hardpan is 40 to 50 feet down in the sand so he gave up.I know where other wrecks are but not saying where.I have found a intact deadeye and 2 silver forks and a spoon with anchor hall marks on the silver.1600's era.All beach finds.

Blazer11

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m new on here and you might already have the answer, however, in 1565 a couple of French ships wrecked near Daytona close to the beach. All of the French were captured by the Spanish, and almost all of the French were killed with exception of a handful. Most know it as the Matanzas massacre. Hope this helps.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m new on here and you might already have the answer, however, in 1565 a couple of French ships wrecked near Daytona close to the beach. All of the French were captured by the Spanish, and almost all of the French were killed with exception of a handful. Most know it as the Matanzas massacre. Hope this helps.

You are no doubt referring to the "Jean Ribault" fleet... correct ?

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Only one answer...you are going to need a magnetometer. Unless they are bronze cannons. That would make it problematic.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Daytona for a while Valousa county seen Jeff Gordons house airplane runway in the back. Go find that ship

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread