1715 Fleet Salvage season finally underway! Gold on Day 2 !!

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother nature hasn't been kind making salvors wait till June to begin the 1715 Fleet salvage season this year but veteran salvors John Brandon and Dan Porter with Diver Levin Shavers put a gold 1 escudo on the deck of the newly outfitted salvage vessel Seatrepid on just the second day!!

Congrats to the crew, many more to come!!

https://www.mrronline.com/single-post/2018/06/02/MRR’s-1715-season-starts-with-a-bang

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-907.JPG lucky me !! I got to hold that little sucker shes a beaut. Pulled into the dock at the same moment they did. Drank with the boys till late night. Levin was super excited with his first find this season. Dan is on the gold and hopefullythere will be much more. Woo hooo !! Great work guys!! Glad I could feel the excitement too !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just passing through. Delivering a yacht to the Great Lakes. Just happened to have good timing and see Dan at the dock when they pulled in !! Ill be back to treasure hunt in a couple weeks. Ill pm you when I get back in town. Maybe we can meet up. Happy hunting !!

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, yeah, yeah... more gold for Dan and John...

---------------------------Sour grapes end here-------------------

When you've got it, you've got it...and they's got it and they remember where it was from last year...
Congrats to the MRR crew and may they find many more!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a way to start the season!
Hope you didn't spend it at the bar or did you make customers buy you a drink just to hold it!!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt find it dan did I just happened to be there when they came in. And.....yes there was much worries about it finding its way back into the sea by falling through the cracks in the deck at the tiki bar !! Glad I didnt drop it! !! Beautiful strike on that little guy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat! I wish I could have done this 20 years ago before I became an old toad!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Blak Bart... don’t forget to call me while you’re in town (Vero)... love to meet up...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10/4 mike, you bet I will !!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg

Heres a couple more that the guys from MRR pulled the other day !! I had a great time hunting up there on the beaches, but it was only lead for me, no silver no gold. Thank you phipsfolly for your help and hospitality, hope to see you in the keys in the future. Man what a week it must have been for you guys in the water !!!! There were more waves and less visibility in my hotel pool than there was out there in the ocean !!

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Lima 1710 2 escudos with no die pellets around value, and pellets in the date field. Seems rarer than others. Santa Fe De Bogata 2 escudo Charles II showing minter A I think.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't found any gold coins so
can someone tell me what die pellets are?

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Haven't found any gold coins so
can someone tell me what die pellets are?

In the fields of some Lima silver and a lot of Lima gold coins can be found round pips where the dies were punched to show abbreviation, or to show that they were from a certain year. For example a lot of punch marks were added to 1716 coins mostly though 1720 Lima gold cobs, off and on until the 1750's, and I think one even had stars instead.

They pellet pips usually show up around the denomination mark on the obverse, such as the "2" and show which die set was used to make the coin, or perhaps even the engraver. It's not uncommon to see these on gold Lima 2 escudos. But its rarer to see die pellets alongside the date this early at the bottom, as is in this case. It may be the only one I have seen, and is a variation.

A cleaner picture would help, but they do look like they are there.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pellets or dots are dots that surround a certain feature of the coin like the date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread