the future of treasure hunting --how to actually keep some of what you find

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in todays back stabbing --US federal govt / state of Florida govt world … as seen by the recent screwing of GME by the courts ...it has become readily clear that to find and have any real chance of keeping any treasure that one MUST stay out of the PERMITTING GRASP OF BOTH FLORIDA AND THE US GOVT .. Florida has a 3 mile limit and the feds 12 miles (on the east coast) --so one must not look closer than 12 miles offshore ...Spain waived pre 1750 vessels for claiming to win the JUNO / LA GAGLA CASE ..so if Spanish it needs to be pre 1750 as well ...better yet --American vessels ...so that only insurance companies and original owners heirs would need to be dealt with

to do this proper research needs to be done to target the " correct wrecks" to target and look for to begin with ….no use in finding and salvaging wrecks you can't profit by ...this is "for profit" treasure hunting isn't it?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from AU_Dreamers signature:

"The finding of a great treasure from the days of the Spanish Main is not the cherished dream of only the United States and Florida citizens; countless peoples from other lands have shared such thoughts. It would amaze and surprise most citizens of this country, when their dream, at the greatest of costs, was realized, the agents of respective governments would, on the most flimsy grounds, lay claim to the treasure."
---Judge William O.Mehrtens
1978 Ruling Against the State of Florida

This country is going down the tubes.

If it were up to the archies and judges, the Atocha and Santa Margarita would have been given to Spain, and it would still be off limits and on the bottom.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunken Military Craft Act is the new loophole Govt uses.

The SMCA protects both sunken US and foreign craft in American waters, which includes all internal waters, territorial sea, and the contiguous zone up to 24 nautical miles off the US coast.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sunken Military Craft Act is the new loophole Govt uses.

The SMCA protects both sunken US and foreign craft in American waters, which includes all internal waters, territorial sea, and the contiguous zone up to 24 nautical miles off the US coast.

Well in that case they will have to stop work on the 1715 fleet. That's not gonna happen!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the ownership of the 1715 fleet sites are "settled" law --- they were awarded to mel fisher and his heirs --and later on were sold off by mel's heirs to fund more research on the Atocha site which is outside of the US / Spanish govts grasp -- thus no having to "share" their finds with the "grubberments"

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in todays back stabbing --US federal govt / state of Florida govt world … as seen by the recent screwing of GME by the courts ...it has become readily clear that to find and have any real chance of keeping any treasure that one MUST stay out of the PERMITTING GRASP OF BOTH FLORIDA AND THE US GOVT .. Florida has a 3 mile limit and the feds 12 miles (on the east coast) --so one must not look closer than 12 miles offshore ...Spain waived pre 1750 vessels for claiming to win the JUNO / LA GAGLA CASE ..so if Spanish it needs to be pre 1750 as well ...better yet --American vessels ...so that only insurance companies and original owners heirs would need to be dealt with

to do this proper research needs to be done to target the " correct wrecks" to target and look for to begin with ….no use in finding and salvaging wrecks you can't profit by ...this is "for profit" treasure hunting isn't it?

Does anyone look offshore in the Gulf Stream proper? I seem to recall quite a few possibilities without looking them up.

CaptainTalon

Greenie
Aug 8, 2018
South Carolina, USA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Does anyone look offshore in the Gulf Stream proper? I seem to recall quite a few possibilities without looking them up.

That's been my thought as well, but it would be a needle in a haystack and difficult to ping the goodies without dragging a sonar behind a boat, and that would take time. I suspect some of the bigger companies have already done pretty nice patches of the Gulf Stream, but they aren't going to share this info. Modern day treasure maps.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I bet the oil exploration companies have some nice data ...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say nobody needs to know except you, if your doing it for profit and not fame. HH

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
loose lips (the need to brag about ones finds) is a treasure hunters worse foe ….many folks have been screwed out of their finds by a sick need to brag --"to be SOMEBODY -- the "big dog" -- (a fool.... I say) --there are far too many greedy do nothing folks ( THE GREEDY GRABBY GRUBBERMINT / INSURANCE COMPANIES /HEIRS OF LONG DEAD FOLKS VARIOUS LAWYERS ) out there looking to make some easy money off your hard work and research / luck --- DO NOT HELP THEM SCREW YOU WHEN YOUR "SHIP" FINALLY COMES IN ….find and keep what is rightfully yours BY SHUTTING THE HELL UP --OTHERS ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU TELL THEM …..you did the research , the digging / work and spent the time money and effort...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
loose lips (the need to brag about ones finds) is a treasure hunters worse foe ….many folks have been screwed out of their finds by a sick need to brag --"to be SOMEBODY -- the "big dog" -- (a fool....

The same is true for lottery winners. The get mountains of sad letter that tug at the heartstrings wanting money, and many winners throw money around like there is no tomorrow. That's why most lottery winners end up back where they started after only a few years.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
loose lips (the need to brag about ones finds) is a treasure hunters worse foe ….many folks have been screwed out of their finds by a sick need to brag --"to be SOMEBODY -- the "big dog" -- (a fool.... I say) --there are far too many greedy do nothing folks ( THE GREEDY GRABBY GRUBBERMINT / INSURANCE COMPANIES /HEIRS OF LONG DEAD FOLKS VARIOUS LAWYERS ) out there looking to make some easy money off your hard work and research / luck --- DO NOT HELP THEM SCREW YOU WHEN YOUR "SHIP" FINALLY COMES IN ….find and keep what is rightfully yours BY SHUTTING THE HELL UP --OTHERS ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU TELL THEM …..you did the research , the digging / work and spent the time money and effort...
Well put Ivan! :coffee2:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a born and bred American I just get riled at these goverment types ruining things.
My first impulse is to say **** you. lol I know...
Just tired of desk jockeys and politicians. Well now I am getting mad so...
We are not subjects.We are citizens.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody yet (that I know of) has put up videos telling how their shipwreck find under permit was ripped off...by the state, governments, etc. Even then saying, "I found a shipwreck" to explain your situation, most likely would invite more unwanted trouble.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always found that the best way to keep your found treasure is to keep your mouth shut!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its not a secret if you tell someone else ..or more correctly it not likely to stay a secret for long if you tell someone else --its hard to find trust worthy folks who know how to keep their yaps shut when you need "extra bodies" to do work -- which is why the old pirate line about killing the treasure burying "helpers" --dead men tell no tales --and don't be the one in the pit whilst digging up treasure ...cuz your already in the grave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions