Chinesse sunken junks in the Caribbean and along the Atlantic coast of the USA

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello everybody,

You might heard about Gavin Menzies' book on Zheng He and the Ming treasure fleets that sailed the world between 1421 and 1423. They were supposed to be gigantic 150 meters long and 5 masts junks that in the fact discovered Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and American continent. According to this book some of these Chinese junks sunk in the waters of Florida, some of them were found (rest of them) and there are some sunken close to Bimini and in Bahamas. It is written in the book that some treasure was lost on the board of these ships. You can find more on the web page: www.1421.com. I read the book i Spanish, but I am sure that it exists also in English because the author is retired English captain of a submarine.
I would like to hear your opinion, getlemen.....How about to find such Chinese treasure junk in the waters of Florida.....? Have you ever heard about something like that?

Bobadilla

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bobadilla, thanks for bringing up a very interesting and controversal subject. I haven't read the book yet, but plan to. More information here: http://www.1421.tv/

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
According to the book, the "Bimini wall" was built by the crews to perform repairs on some of their damaged ships, and some of the said Chinese ships are supposedly buried under some sand mounds on the island (but they can't get permission to dig for them....) ::)

I also have a hard time swallowing the book's claim that the coconut palm was introduced by the Chinese as they sailed along the eastern Americas.... ::)

Interesting read, but the Vikings beat'em to it.... :D

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Dell Winders said:
I seriously doubt the Chinese had anything to do with the construction of the Bimini wall (road). It probably pre-dates them by about 2,000 years. I have seen similar megalithic stones in other parts of the Bahamas, as well.

In my opinion, the Bimini wall was not constructed by Alantians, either. Dell

Dell, I have to definitely agree with you on this one!

But, I would not doubt it that the Chinese discovered America, I'm just not sure they were first! How about the Vikings?

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Please keep in mind that Florida and the Bahamas have more sun-crazed treasure hunters per square meter than anywhere else on earth. (Myself pointedly included.) But we have discovered no wooden ships of Asian manufacture.

Chip V.

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi,

Thanks for your opinions, fellow THers! I consider this topic quite interesting, indeed. In these days it is public secret that Christopher Columbus knew exactly where he was heading when he "discovered" American continent. There are proofs of old maps showing Puerto Rico and Hispaniola islands way before Columbus trip. It is not only written in the above mentioned book but also in many other publications and articles. The idea of Chinese fleet sailing through Caribbean waters and along Florida coast does not seem to me so impossible.... As Dell pointed out, there were rumors about trade with Egypt almost 3,000 years ago. And how about the written facts that the local inhabitants in central America, I think it was in actual Quatemala or Mexico, welcomed the white conquistadors with statues where there were Chinese coins instead of eyes. Chinese anchor was discovered in US coastal waters recently, and so on....

Regarding Bimini "roads", I agree with the opinion that they were probably constructed 2,000 years ago, or may be even before. But four small artifical hills on the shore which are supposed to contain the rests of Chinese junks together with some treasures, it is question of last 500 years, not more. Why the government of Bahamas does not want to allow the legal and open professional historical research of these four - evidently archaeological - sites?

Bobadilla

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread