UPDATE: Significant Discovery in Pensacola

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
See my thread, "Tristan de Luna Wreck #2 Located" for the latest information.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,113646.0.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You heard it here first guys (or at least a hint of it). Another very historic find in Pensacola is going to be disclosed to the public in mid-October. Out of respect to the group who made the discovery, I won't give out any details or further hints - sorry for the teaser but it will be WAY cool.

Pcola

"Deluna Shipwreck Promises More Information On History Of Pensacola

A group of archaeology students from the University Of West Florida have discovered a shipwreck that's been submerged for hundreds of years...

Channel Three's Erin Ovalle shows us what they found..

"A group of UWF students have been diving into the bay for more than a year collecting artifacts from a shipwreck they beleive is linked to a large part of Pensacola's history."

These students are identifying and recording the remains of a shipwreck they first discovered last summer.

"To actually have a shipwreck to work on this past field session has been very exciting."

It's an exciting experience graduate student Christine Mavrick says she is lukcy to be a part of.

Professors say they to are proud to be a part of what many archaeologists spend their lifetime hoping to find.

"It's a ship that shipwreck archeologists all over the world would be very interested in reading and seeing pictures of even visiting the site itself."

The site is only twelve feet under water... Just 400 feet away from the vistors center at the foot of the Three Mile Bridge.

Archaeologists believe it may be linked to another shipwreck found in the bay about ten years ago.

That ship has been named Emanuel Point ... They say it was captained by Don Tristan De Luna who planned to colonize this area in 1559 ... But after a hurricane, seven out of his eleven ships went down.

"There's a possibility there are more shipwrecks out there that may be related to the one we announce thursday."

This discovery will not only be a part of our history but it's a breakthrough for archaeologists who say they know very little about the culture of the 1500's.

"Thursday there will be a formal announcement with more displays of artifacts found ... it will be held at ten a.m. on thurday at the visitors center.

The Secretary Of State will be at the event and will announce more details about the shipwreck.

The public is invited to attend.

Last Updated: Monday, October 8 2007, 08:00 PM
"

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Significant Discovery in Pensacola

Aw c'mon man-don't do that to us. >:(

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Ok I admit that it was rather lame for me to post something with no details. I just wanted you guys to be aware of something coming before the rest of the general public. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have posted this in the first place but I am extremely excited about it. Treasure-only types won't find it worth spit...history nuts like me will.

Pcola

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

I hope you had a hand, errr, fin, in the find!

Will look forward to the announcement.

P

paddy.mick

Ah, so it might be one of the Univ. projects, right? One of those other colonizing ships in the Bay? Is there an official announcement date or an event in Pensacola or will you link us the info as soon as it's available?
Sounds very nifty!
Paddy

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
Whatever some nice pirate will loan me!!

Military or Civilian?? Keep us informed when you can!!

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

I wasn't involved in this discovery unfortunately.

The press conference is scheduled for sometime on October 11th. Will advise when I have the specifics.

Pcola

bg

Aug 17, 2007

Anything to do with the barge on the n e side of the tmb about halfway between the bridge and the other ship.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

bg said:
Anything to do with the barge on the n e side of the tmb about halfway between the bridge and the other ship.

It does have something to do with saltwater. That's all I can say.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UWF to announce shipwreck findings

The University of West Florida in 10 days will publicly announce that the shipwreck in Pensacola Bay -- formerly known as "Target 17" -- is the remains of a nationally significant ship.

Information about the shipwreck in Pensacola Bay will be provided by UWF archaeologists, and drawings, images and artifacts from the shipwreck will be on display.

The announcement will be made at 10 a.m. Oct. 11. Florida Department of State Secretary Kurt Browning will make the announcement. Browning will be introduced by University of West Florida President John Cavanaugh.

Also attending will be Maria Davis, the honorary vice counsel to Spain for West Florida, UWF College of Arts and Sciences Dean Jane Halonen and UWF archaeologists Greg Cook and John Bratten, who discovered and have led the examination of the shipwreck, and Judy Bense, head of the archaeology program at UWF also will attend.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's an interesting item that a detectorist found while they were doing a renovation in downtown Pensacola. It's a silver seal that was probably used by a merchant or official in the 1750's.

Attachments

• seal4.jpg
    seal4.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 364

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread