Will Hurricane Florence uncover any new shipwrecks?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will also most likely create quite a few on shore.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh its going to make and uncover some new shipwrecks. What I'd be looking for is any old ones it uncovers lol.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno anymore, with all of the replenishment activities, sometimes it takes a hell of a lot to get down to any older conditions.

With a 15 foot surge, will create more of new rubbish layer, than uncover older layers.

Most older wrecks are discovered pretty deep, even near shore, so covering yes, uncovering, well....

A near shore wreck, uncovered with this storm, would likely have been uncovered long ago, and simply buried over again over time. Sand easily moves, but artifacts sink...That being said, a few scattered artifacts can be swept up and deposited, but I would doubt an entire shipwreck that is "new', or uncovering anything significant of a wreck that has not already been uncovered in the recent past.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking the same
wish I could get there right after it leaves

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wanna go.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll pick you up on the way

wait, mississippi isn't on the way from indy

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was thinking about the people first of all and hope for little damage and no casualties. Then after the storm how many treasure hunters will hit the new beach looking for great finds. Hoping for the best to everyone on the east coast.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Similar to what xaos stated, due to Florence slowly moving ashore and if it does track Southwest along the North Carolina and South Carolina coasts before turning more inland, any old shipwrecks that it might have uncovered in somewhat deeper waters, will likely be covered back over. In other words, the storm surge and winds from the Hurricane likely uncovered some shipwrecks on its way to the North Carolina coast but as it turns Southwest, the winds on the West, Southwest and West Southwest quadrants of the storm, will likely cover everything back over due to the heavy surf. Note: No matter which direction a Hurricane moves, the leading edge in the direction it travels is North in relation to the Hurricane, so if you draw a line from that point through the center to the opposite side of the direction of movement, then that is South in relation to the Hurricane. Well, I am sure you know how to determine the East and West portions of the Hurricane!

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one washed up on shore Without the help of a storm
A chunk of a hull, I would not get too excited about that on the beach, other than to show that out there, somewhere, is the rest of it. somewhere. (pieces of the Atlantic City Boardwalk were found on Long Island)

Stirred up sand is liquefaction, and heavy items sink, look how the blowers work.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much of a cut on the beaches around the 1715 Fleet.
Kind of a bust around here. Kind of flattened the 2' cut from last week.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A chunk of a hull, I would not get too excited about that on the beach, other than to show that out there, somewhere, is the rest of it. somewhere. (pieces of the Atlantic City Boardwalk were found on Long Island)

Stirred up sand is liquefaction, and heavy items sink, look how the blowers work.

Whats with the Negative Vibes dude....That "chunk of hull" weighs a thousand times more than a doubloon or piece of eight.And the "Fact" it washed up W/O the help of a storm does get me excited .

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no negative vibes. A piece of hulls is far less dense that a piece or gold, and has a huge surface area for the water column to react with.

If you want to get excited, that is fine. It is just far from a treasure, or an indication of one nearby.

And the "Fact" it washed up W/O the help of a storm does get me excited .

It’s likely that the shipwreck was buried somewhere off the coast, and that rough seas over the last few days dislodged the large section of hull.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...washes-florida-180968629/#6V43ChQUZDZRd9we.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
no negative vibes. A piece of hulls is far less dense that a piece or gold, and has a huge surface area for the water column to react with.

If you want to get excited, that is fine. It is just far from a treasure, or an indication of one nearby.

It’s likely that the shipwreck was buried somewhere off the coast, and that rough seas over the last few days dislodged the large section of hull.

Maybe someone was fishing with a Cuban Yoyo using 175 pound line and hooked it and hauled it in and with thoughts of getting into trouble, they bailed before daylight.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well. @ 1,550 shipwrecks along the Eastern Seaboard from Cape Henry, Va. to Cape Fear, NC... HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread