1934 LETTER REGUARDING TREASURE IN FERNANDINA

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I have been given the chore of rounding up all the research, data, logs and such and filing them. What a mess...but interesting stuff. I cam across a letter/reply from the secretary of the Fernandina Chamber of Commerce, dated 1934. You might find it a good read. (Copied word for word)

Diverlynn

Feb. 3, 1934

Mrs. Dillon F. Smith
Pensacola, Florida

Dear Madam,
Your letter of January 29th addressed to the Postmaster of Fernandina, Florida, has been referred to us for reply.

During the period from 1680 to 1763 Cumberland Sound and Amelia River was a harbor of rendezvous for slave traders and pirates. In 1763 the peninsula of Florida was ceded, by Spain, to England and under English rule this lawless element did not find favorable operating conditions, hence they abandoned the use of the harbor. In 1784 the peninsula was ceded back to Spain and from then on until 1817 was again a favorite harbor for free booters. During these two periods it has been assumed
that treasure was buried by pirates on the Island. We do not know of any actual instance of treasure having been found except that in 1928 or 1929 a small quantity of ancient coins were turned up during excavation.

In the neighborhood of the beach is a long narrow stretch of hammock land and on this tract an old Negro lived for many years, named Uncle Jimmy Drummond. He was called a Seminole Indian but long time residents here say he was full blooded Negro. He was, however, a very unique character. He habitually kept a pen of rattle snakes and had a reputation among colored people here of being able to conjure. The legend is that somewhere on the track of land on which he lived there was buried treasure and that near that treasure was an oak tree with an old iron chain hanging in the tree and had grown into it. The legend further states that on dark nights the chain will be rattled by spirit hands and no one had the courage to excavate for this treasure for fear of death at the hands of these guardian spirits. Uncle Jimmy died last year.

Early last year we had a caller in this office who mentioned these stories of hidden treasure and who stated that he had authentic information of the location of some of this treasure and was planning on coming over here some dark night and digging it up for removal. He, of course, would not divulge the location of this treasure and stated that if he did dig it up no one would ever know about it because he did not intend that the owner of the land should claim any of the treasure.

All of these stories are very interesting but so far as we know no treasure of any quantity, except a few ancient coins, has ever been dug up.

We trust this will give you the information requested in your letter.

Yours very truly,

Secretary,
Fernandina Chamber of Commerce

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a huckleberry fin ghost tale.wasnt big jim the black guys name that huck was friends with?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The most important part to remember, which is a known fact, is the first 3 sentences:

During the period from 1680 to 1763 Cumberland Sound and Amelia River was a harbor of rendezvous for slave traders and pirates. In 1763 the peninsula of Florida was ceded, by Spain, to England and under English rule this lawless element did not find favorable operating conditions, hence they abandoned the use of the harbor. In 1784 the peninsula was ceded back to Spain and from then on until 1817 was again a favorite harbor for free booters.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
If you are gonna bs someone, always throw in a smigeon of truth to it, that way they have a 'known fact' to relate to and the story is much more believeable.

Aaron

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Aaron,
I do not understand your comment, would you mind explaining it? Are you calling me a lier? I will gladly scan and send you a copy if you like. Just thought some of you would appreciate reading a letter from long ago about buried treasure.

Diverlynn

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lynn: the letter was greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing it with us. I would be interested in seeing any other historical documentation you may wish to share. PM me off forum if you would like.

Tom

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Diver I am not calling you a liar. I was referring to another comment saying it sounds more like a ghost story type of thing. I believe you 100% that you did indeed find this letter. What I was saying was, the first 3 sentences were indeed true.... and if someone is going to spin a story... ie the original writer, throw some truth into the mix to establish some credibility then yarn away at it.

My apologies if you thought I was calling you a liar about seeing this letter.

Aaron

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
Diverlynn,

There's should be a part 2 of the letter somewhere. along time ago, I was researching
on Slaves and Spanish mission's in the area: I came across something what you have there:
the area there talking about is south end of Amercan Beach, or Amelia Is. point.

sapper

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Lynn-
Great post!!! Plenty of food for thought in that letter I'd say...If you find any other info to go with that, please post...and please keep us updated on the Polly-L gig as time and security permit...

Blacksheep6...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Diver Lynn -- I do alot of research on the Amelia Island area being I live in the area (nassau county fla)-- here is a 100% true fact based story --that can be "proved" via many historical records -- in oct of 1817 the pirate / freedom fighter - Luis Aury "took over" control of what was at the time "Spanish" Amelia Island -- from the scottish merc -- Sir Gregor McGreger -- McGregor and a small band of merc's had taken the island from the Spanish --American navy forces had stood by and told the Spanish forces that if they fired on the "patroits" that they would "open fire upon them"--- the Spanish forces surrendered to the meager band --the Spanish commander was later punished for "cowardness" over the matter--- after finding out that his backers had pulled out and that no farther American backing (money or support) was forth coming McGregor pulled out -- turning things over to two of his "assistants"-- Ruggles and Hubbard -- being they had no money to pay the troops they were in dire straights --along came Luis Aury --a pirate to some a "freedom fighter" privateer to others - he was under letters of marquee from Mexico and Venezula and had been raiding spanish shipping near texas and the gulf of mexico- Aury offered to "pay" the troops (merc's) getting them off off Ruggles and Hubbards backs in exchange for being "in charge" --they agreed --and up went the mexican flag over amelia island-- this was in Oct of 1817 --Aury had taken a spanish slave vessel with 95 slaves aboard her -- he sold the slaves to a man named Bowen from Georgia for $60,000-- America had seen the slave rebellon in haiti a few years and was worried about the slaves to white ratio in the south and feared a similar slave uprising might happen and had passed a law in 1803 that forbid the further importation of slaves from africa -- the illegal smuggling of slaves into georgia from what was spanish fernandina was big bussiness---aury planned to sell "hijacked" spanish slaves and goods and even allowed other "pirates" to sell stolen spanish goods in fernandia for a 16% cut (1/6th)---- Bowen attempted to cross the Georgia border with the slaves and was caught -- the slaves were taken and some were later sold by the govenor of georgia -- the original spanish ship owner when he found out what happened filed suit in the american courts stating that once "america" had found out that they had "his" slaves that his" property" should have been returned to him-- the case went before the US court and these facts are in the old court records -- the govenor of georgia was forced out of office due to this matter-- the local georgia merchants and "legal" slave traders who profits were being cut into due to aury's "fire sale prices" demanded that something be done -- and in Dec of 1817 a naval force was sent to Amelia Island seizing it and Aury -- the American forces held Aury about 2 months but could not find a legal way to hang him -- he had not attacked US shipping nor had he allowed pirates to sell stolen "American" goods in fernandina--only Spanish goods-- he himself had not "smuggled" goods but rather the persons who he sold the goods to had -- plus he held letters of marquee from both Mexico and Venezula and thus was legally allowed to take Spanish shipping --plus the added fact that by law the area was legally his or at best "Spanish" land thus America had no "legal" right to be there or pass any judgement upon him -- finally the US "kicked him out" and told him not to return on pain of death---they had searched his vessel and person and did not find any money --he left never returning to the island -- Aury died 3 years later of a broken neck after being thrown from a horse---the $60,000 that he got from the sale of the 95 slaves was never found --nor any of the money he got as his 16% (1/6) cut for allowing other pirates to sell their stolen goods--vast amounts of goods were reportedly sold in the 2 months he was in charge of the island-- so at least $60,000 in 1817 era silver and gold money is somewhere on the island as best as anyone knows it has not been found--reportedly he was captured near the south end of the island -- afterward America kept the island holding it "in trust" for Spain until finally America finally bought Florida from Spain in 1819 for 5 million dollars ---hows that for a true "fact based historically documented treasure tale?--- Ivan

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Ivan,
I knew you would come through with some great history on this subject. Kudos to you

Diverlynn

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
swr --- the fact that 95 slaves were sold by Luis Aury to Bowen is part the US Govt's court records -- slaves normally sold in georgia for about $1,800 to $2,400 dollars depeding upon their sex and ages and their overall condition -- Bowen was getting 95 slaves for $60,000 or about $ 631.50 each a real "bargin"price (about one third the normal price)which he could easily double or even triple his "investment" money on once he sold the slaves in georgia for $1200 to $1800 ( this was still much cheaper than the normal legal slave market prices--- so the slave buyers would have saved anywhere from 33% to 25%--- 1200 vs 1800 =33% and 1800 vs 2400 =25% --thus they would have happily bought them from Bowen had he not been caught while smuggling them from florida to georgia) -- was the $60,000 Bowen paid Aury for the slaves the same $60,000 that Aury reportedly "showed" up with ?--- odd that in the court records from the lawsuit that was filed by the spanish slave ship owner that the offical court record shows that Bowen was legally trying to get back ""his" slaves and as proof showed a "bill of sale" showing he paid Luis Aury $60,000 for the 95 slaves hummm---the same amount that they say Aury showed up with--odd huh?--- Aury did not walk freely about-- he had things he as the leader of his men had to answer for because some of his men had done vile acts during the 2 months he was in charge of things and he was kept in the jail while he was here ---he did not just wonder around the island la te da -- it was feared Aury might try something so he was kept in jail while he was on "American Amelia Island"-- his white officers were let walk about on parole but were carefully "watched" for the most part to insure that they did not try to stage a uprising of any type bit by bit they left the island ---and Aury's black crew members were put on one of his vessels and told to "git"--they used the vessel to go to haiti --a "free" black country --

ah but now the important part -- what happened to the money? -- the report you refer to shows over 1.000 slaves sold and smuggled thru the fernandina area at say 600 a head thats $600,000 of which aury got 1/6th or $100,000 plus the report says over half a million dollars (500,000) of goods were sold --of which his cut (1/6) would be $80,000 -- so $180,000 in 1817 era silver and gold----- he was only in charge for a few months and left broke by all accounts -- so wheres the money at?

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Visit:

community.webshots.com/user/famleeroots and click on photo album: Amelia Island.

When you pull the album up, click on a pick you want to view. When that pic comes up...on the far right side of the page you will see FULL VIEW...click on that and it will bring photo up. Move your mouse over the pic and at the bottom right will be an icon, click on that icon and it will enlarge the photo so you can read the article if you are not able to read it in the current size.

I found lots of other articles, but nothing really pertaining to Amelia Island's history, more of shipping news, etc.

Researching for articles on Commodore Luis Aury, General Sir George McGregor, Jimmy Drummond and a few others as well as find information regarding slave trade by Aury and Bowen and any "lost treasures" that have been reported and/or passed down through history.

You can also check out the FORT CLINCH album as well...think I only have 1 article in that right now.

Happy reading,
Annmarie

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ah my dear swr -- the rather low $38,000 figure that you read of was the money the govenor got for a partial sale of some of the 95 slaves some where sold right off ---while others were held and to be given to a free man anti slavery type group--- if all had been sold more than the $38,000 in funds would have raised -- the records that you show is the record that I speak of --the facts are the that BOWEN DID IN FACT BUY SLAVES FROM AURY ----Bowen showed papers stating that he paid $60,000 to Aury for the whole lot of 95 slaves in Fernandina (basically the court told BOWEN to get lost --that the slaves were stolen goods that he bought and that even if the buy was legal that since he was caught trying to smuggle them into the country they would have been taken from him anyway)-- the rather $38,000 dollar figure was from a state auction of just some of the slaves --- it was a (wrongful) partial sale of some of the slaves by direction of the governor --- thanks for putting the link in for the court case for me it makes it easy to show you what I'm talking about.

the below is from the text of the records* from the link you provided -- read & see for yourself

There is no necessity, however, for speaking out of the record on this subject. The information, as well as the claim, filed to Madrazo's libel, both explicitly avow, that, as to the slaves remaining unsold, the governor was acting in behalf of the colonizing society; and had not the decision below been against their claim, and on grounds which cannot be shaken, it is fair to conjecture, that the exception here taken to the jurisdiction, would never have been suggested; nor had that society possessed a legal existence, so as to prosecute a suit, in its own name, is there the least reason to believe, that the governor of Georgia would ever have presented himself, in the Courts of the United States, upon this subject.

What could he do? This property had come legally into the hands of his predecessor-a part had been sold-and the rest transmitted to him, specifically. Two parties presented themselves, claiming it in their respective rights; and having been constituted by law, the guardian of the rights of one; he presents himself to the only Court that could take cognizance of the cause, in order to have the question of right decided, before he would surrender the slaves, in his possession, to either claimant. The money raised from the sales, he disavows having any control over.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
so $38,000 for a partial sale of some of the slaves --so $60,000 for the lot--- is not sounding so far fetched is it?
there are old historical documents locally that are not online---they are in private hands of folks that I know -- thats were my numbers come from.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I research things-- please note I live in the nearby local area of amelia island and know the local history very well --- the main point I 'm trying to make is Aury had money --fact Aury was reported to have had $60,000 bucks when he was in fernandina ---reportedly 1000 + slaves were sold & ilegally smuggled in the 2 months Aury was in charge of amelia island and over $500,000 worth of goods reportly sold (backed by the historical Amelia Island site info -- which you yourself kindly provided)---fact Aury sold slaves to Bowen for money (court records which you yourself kindly provided) the main fact I trying to get across here is-- Aury had lots of money ---when he left he left broke-- where is all the unaccounted for missing money at ? --- Ivan

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
DiverLynn,

Great post. There's so much out there, with lost treasure's on Amelia Island.
If you come across anymore, keep posting! and if any chance you come across info on wrecks south end of Talbot or Ft. George inlet. LOL

Sapper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread