diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone is selling a Spanish cannon. He says it is dated 1651 and it has a finely detailed Spanish coat of Arms engraved on it. It is made of bronze. I don't know the size of it yet. I will be calling him tommorrow for more details. My question to some of you who are more familiar with this type of thing is, would a cannon of this era be dated as such and would it have the coat of arms on it also? Here are a couple photos to look at. Does it "look" authentic in the photos? How much would you expect something like this to sell for, or is it based on the size of the cannon? Any specific questions I should ask the guy regarding authenticity?

Attachments

• 0102040103080104022007091435f490e9e97f6cb2b500cb3d.jpg
    0102040103080104022007091435f490e9e97f6cb2b500cb3d.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,730
  • 01021001041101030420070914670b53f33cbf9ce45a009435.jpg
    01021001041101030420070914670b53f33cbf9ce45a009435.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,740

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
diggummup, I'm just going to throw this out there to you . I hope you're not buying the cannon from Pawel Nowak ?

If you are, do not be surprised if you never receive the cannon. I only mention this, because he pulled the same scam on a friend of mine.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ask for the history of the gun; how it was found, when, where, by whom, etc.
Ask to have the gun inspected by an appraiser before offering a cent.
Ask the seller to tell you why he thinks the gun is worth the asking price.
Be sensitive to "red flag" responses.
Don....

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
MilitaryCollector said:
Those pictures SURE look like a small toy cannon. I dought a real cannon would be that shiney or have such small mounting posts on sides.

I was thinking the same thing! It doesn't look like any bronze cannon I have seen being so shiny! I would ask for better pictures, dimensions, and ask the seller to stand in the picture and get a good clear shot of him with the cannon.

My 2 cent! Caveat emptor!

Robert

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
I have a similar one in my collection which dates to the late 1600's. Mine is called a navigator's cannon and was used by just that person. It had a "glass" mounted to the barrel via 4 legged mount and adjusted for currentsailing degree. At high noon, the sun rays would strike the "glass" and burn the poweder in the touch hole causing the cannon to fire. The navigator/pilot would then come out for a new reading to verify their progress being made as plotted on the chart. Mine is made of bronze but has a nice dark patina on it. I am guessing that if yours is authentic it has been cleaned and possibly even polished. :'(

Get answers to all the questions you have told to ask and if they all come back positive for this piece, expect to pay around $800.00 or so. I am assuming that it is somewhere in the area of 12" - 14" in length. If the price listed is accurate, $295.00, I would walk away. Thats unreal and highly makes me think it is a replica or a black market item.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I wonder why the photos do not show the complete cannon. It could also be a swivel cannon but it is really to small for this.
I would also ask the seller if you could come in person to inspect the cannon and if possible and you purchase it to take it with you.
To me it is a toy.
Peg Leg

MilitaryCollector

Sep 4, 2007
New England, USA
It's definatly a toy as it's only 10-12 inches long, and the picture is of it sitting on a Leather/Pleatheror Vinyl chair or sofa. and notice depresion in said vinyl from the weight of the toy. (I hope you didn't REALLY think this ad was for a real, BIG cannon did you?)

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MilitaryCollector said:
It's definatly a toy as it's only 10-12 inches long, and the picture is of it sitting on a Leather/Pleatheror Vinyl chair or sofa. and notice depresion in said vinyl from the weight of the toy. (I hope you didn't REALLY think this ad was for a real, BIG cannon did you?)
No I FIGURED maybe it was a signal gun, not a BIG cannon (as you put it). ::) Do you know what a signal gun is? Besides, did you see me say anything about purchasing "said" gun? I don't THINK so. You can pick yourself up off the floor and quit laughing now. Geesh! some people.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MilitaryCollector said:
Anyone got a pic of one of these "SIGNAL CANNONS", as I'd like to see if ornate and have same look as "BIG" Daddy Cannon
Your the "MilitaryCollector" don't you already know?

MilitaryCollector

Sep 4, 2007
New England, USA
NOPE, don't know what 1651 Spanish signal cannons look like, but I do know what newer ones look like (I SPIT ON THE 1600's, PATOOEY)!!! :)

diggummup said:
MilitaryCollector said:
Anyone got a pic of one of these "SIGNAL CANNONS", as I'd like to see if ornate and have same look as "BIG" Daddy Cannon
Your the "MilitaryCollector" don't you already know?

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like a seam is running down the length of each side of the barrel. If that is the case, then it's a very sloppy cast, and not something the artisans in a gun foundry back then would have let out their doors....

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
That cannon is about as original as george washingtons wooden teeth....

even if it was real, polishing it that much probably ruined it, I bet if you look real closely you will find 'made in taiwan' somewhere

It's a POS, Id avoid it like the clap.

Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread