Help I’ve found several items of one of 1776 missing vessel

Eric Folberth

Nov 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really want help to do this proper to insure this is for everyone I could care less bout money it’s history and everyone deserves this wreck to be brought to the surface tell me about some names and makers marks or crevasse that mean something to the fleet of 1776 or other wrecks never found the date on knife is 1775 it has something wrote on blade I believe it starts with the letter Aor o there’s double SS in it’s well I live in the BIG BEND of Florida and I hunt arrowheads and stumbled on this I’ve found a double barrel flint lock pistol 6 mother of pearl buttons the knife and a massive pile of silver thanks for your help

Attachments

• 4A5078FD-14F3-4400-90FF-3B9C1D812F52.jpeg
    4A5078FD-14F3-4400-90FF-3B9C1D812F52.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 1ACAEB9E-FE0E-424B-B8D1-90CE0384BAB2.jpeg
    1ACAEB9E-FE0E-424B-B8D1-90CE0384BAB2.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 255

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The best thing you can do is to delete this post, be quiet about it and use the best practices for conservation while recovering under the radar. Once you have provenance, you can take it to the next level as you see fit.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice knife, btw. 8-)

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Massive pile of silver what? Coins or bullion?

1776 fleet?

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wooden handle still on a knife from 1775/76? This is not the found condition, nor even close to it, correct?
All of these pieces, the steel, wood, and pins, buried together for that amount of time, really does not make sense. (ie The amount of corrosion on the blade vs the pins and wood.) No encrustation, so is one to assume this is freshwater find, not saltwater?

What leads you to believe this is a 1776 knife? Looking at the design, this seems to be fairly modern, the sawtooth back of the blade, not typical for that time period. Given the condition of the wood handle, and the patina on the blade, perhaps a 1976 knife? (especially with the bottle top opener in the blade)

There must be some missing information, or at least some punctuation in your text, so that I can figure out what you are trying to say.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not post what I found Im not a shipwreck hunter only wish I was but still would not say anything.....

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
Is the double barrel flintlock pistol in one piece. How about an image for others here to help with a time period?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like a modern day Buck folding knife. Does it still fold?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it might be from the SS stainless steel fleet...................

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It looks like a modern skinning knife.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wooden handle still on a knife from 1775/76? This is not the found condition, nor even close to it, correct?
All of these pieces, the steel, wood, and pins, buried together for that amount of time, really does not make sense. (ie The amount of corrosion on the blade vs the pins and wood.) No encrustation, so is one to assume this is freshwater find, not saltwater?

What leads you to believe this is a 1776 knife? Looking at the design, this seems to be fairly modern, the sawtooth back of the blade, not typical for that time period. Given the condition of the wood handle, and the patina on the blade, perhaps a 1976 knife? (especially with the bottle top opener in the blade)

There must be some missing information, or at least some punctuation in your text, so that I can figure out what you are trying to say.

Really hard to tell from only two images and I don't know squat about knife shapes or modern or skinning styles. But they did say "stumbled upon". So I'm thinking possibly a cave since they hunt arrowheads and points. Cave diving is popular for finding native American points and such.

Just food for thought, because we probably won't hear from them anytime soon. I'm thinking he is following Darren's advice, even though it is too late to delete the thread, and staying mum.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree.

This is a modern "knife". these designs didn't come out until lately. Of especial note is the bottle opener, but also less noticeable is that the total design is quite modern. These knives are meant to sell, and really not to use.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just food for thought, because we probably won't hear from them anytime soon. I'm thinking he is following Darren's advice, even though it is too late to delete the thread, and staying mum.

Yes, that must be it...:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions