Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 1715 Fleet

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1414 times
    Shipwrecks
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage/Caribbean Treasure Salvors
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet "C-31"
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

https://www.facebook.com/searchandsalvage.net/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467407956647367/

Jul 2014
    140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by grossmusic View Post
    Genealogy is probably easier to look up now since I wrote my Treasure Galleons book. I'm amazed each year how much more is available online. Problem is, most is in Spanish, so that will make it harder if you don't speak Spanish (I don't, though I've learned to read it pretty well by now).

Somewhere on tnet I think is a list of passengers from Ubilla's ship(s). I recall at least one or two of the marquis' sons were aboard, but I don't know their fate. I do know the fate of Echeverz & three of his sons in later years. Definitely had a rough time in the years just after the wrecks. Someone here on tnet I think told me that one of his descendants lived on the Treasure Coast years ago, but I can't recall any details.
    During one of Sir Robert Marx's lecture he mentioned that his wife Jennifer may be a descendant of one of the original salvagers of the 1715 fleet.

I appreciated the list of passengers provided by Aquanut. The names of the women passengers could they be tied to family coat of arms that may contain the Flag of the Cross of Burgundy?
    aquanut likes this.

Apr 2012
    52 times
    The 1715 fleet also got Sam Bellamy and his XO Paul Williams started on their pirate careers cause after they failed to salvage any Spanish treasure they "went on the account" so thank you 1715!

Whydahdiver
    AARC, grossmusic and mad4wrecks like this.

us
    teller of tall tales

Jul 2013
    Cape Canaveral / Orlando
    I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
    374 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by whydahdiver View Post
    The 1715 fleet also got Sam Bellamy and his XO Paul Williams started on their pirate careers cause after they failed to salvage any Spanish treasure they "went on the account" so thank you 1715!
    YEP!
    Now we're speaking my language!
    (I was just rewriting one of my screenplay scenes with Bellamy vs. Jennings when I saw this post.)

Bellamy & Williams didn't just go on the account - they got their start with Jennings then double-crossed him a few months after he took the 87,000 pesos from Salmon at the wreck sites, some of which may very well have made its way onto the Whydah & gone down with her.

And Bellamy & Williams' first prize ship Marianne may actually have a very loose tie to at least one 1715 ship if not two (Hampton Court & Grifon).

Wondering if anyone else has ever made the same connections.
    ropesfish likes this.

Jul 2014
    140 times
    I went to the last Sedgwick coin auction in Orlando in November and met Barry Clifton. He talked about discovering the Whydah. He had xray pictures of encrusted objects. A couple of 8 reales from the Whydah dated 1715 sold for $10K and $13K. The same coins found in Florida would be about $350 to $400 each. Talk about the value of provenance.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    29603 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    ^^^ With 60 hurricanes (in that area) w/in the last 300 years the ships could be anyplace .
    Ten times that.
    aquanut likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    teller of tall tales

Jul 2013
    Cape Canaveral / Orlando
    I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
    374 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBOTCOP13 View Post
    Talk about the value of provenance.
    I heard that a bell was found recently along the Treasure Coast, but have never seen the details. What I do know/suspect, is that provenance will never be easy for the 1715 fleet since there was only one actual galleon among the 11 ships that wrecked. Bells & cannon will likely always be a hodge podge of nationalities because most of the ships were either prizes from or bought from other nations during & after the very long War of Spanish Succession. Identifying even one ship with certainty is a long cannon shot. Ships were refitted, renamed, rebuilt in the years & months prior to the doomed sailing. And remoteness of the New World meant that contraband & shoddy paperwork were par for the course, muddying things further.

But all that uncertainty is part of what makes it so very exciting & intriguing.

Jul 2014
    140 times
    I haven't heard about the bell but how about the design of this ring?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Excaliber II with homemade straight shaft
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBOTCOP13 View Post
    I haven't heard about the bell but how about the design of this ring?
    Interesting shape robot, any background on it?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Jul 2014
    140 times

Apr 2012
    52 times

Pirate fanatic

Williams was just 1 in a long line of R.I. based pirates., known as Rogues Island and was the intended destination of the Whydah survivors. From my office window in Newport I can see the spot on Goat Island where in 1723 26 pirates were hanged and buried. Across the bay about a mile lies the home of Capt. Thomas Paine, good friend with Capt. Kidd who is known to have visited Paine and of course rumors of buried treasure abound here. Paine's former home is now for sale and the current owner hired a friend of mine to do a thorough search of the property before the sale, just in case! We also have a rum made here named after another local pirate: Thomas Tew, so if you thirst for pirates come visit me in Newport!

Pirates have always been in my blood and I did my graduate field school at Port Royal, Jamaica, another hot bed of debauchery and drunkenness, supposedly there was 1 tavern for every 110 people, my kind of place! Just after returning from there I started as the first archaeologist on the Whydah so I can't escape it!

Whydahdiver

Jul 2014
    140 times
    Sir Robert Marx lives down here and gives lectures at the local college and gave one on his dive at Port Royal in 1966.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Apr 2012
    52 times
    I was there in 1982 with Texas A&M, I'm a bottle freak and we found 72 intact onion bottles in the storeroom of a tavern, it was very tough to not bring one home!
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Excaliber II with homemade straight shaft
    186 times
    excellent story robot, thx
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links