1715 Fleet

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Talk about the value of provenance.

I heard that a bell was found recently along the Treasure Coast, but have never seen the details. What I do know/suspect, is that provenance will never be easy for the 1715 fleet since there was only one actual galleon among the 11 ships that wrecked. Bells & cannon will likely always be a hodge podge of nationalities because most of the ships were either prizes from or bought from other nations during & after the very long War of Spanish Succession. Identifying even one ship with certainty is a long cannon shot. Ships were refitted, renamed, rebuilt in the years & months prior to the doomed sailing. And remoteness of the New World meant that contraband & shoddy paperwork were par for the course, muddying things further.

But all that uncertainty is part of what makes it so very exciting & intriguing.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard about the bell but how about the design of this ring?

Attachments

• IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 265

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate fanatic

Williams was just 1 in a long line of R.I. based pirates., known as Rogues Island and was the intended destination of the Whydah survivors. From my office window in Newport I can see the spot on Goat Island where in 1723 26 pirates were hanged and buried. Across the bay about a mile lies the home of Capt. Thomas Paine, good friend with Capt. Kidd who is known to have visited Paine and of course rumors of buried treasure abound here. Paine's former home is now for sale and the current owner hired a friend of mine to do a thorough search of the property before the sale, just in case! We also have a rum made here named after another local pirate: Thomas Tew, so if you thirst for pirates come visit me in Newport!

Pirates have always been in my blood and I did my graduate field school at Port Royal, Jamaica, another hot bed of debauchery and drunkenness, supposedly there was 1 tavern for every 110 people, my kind of place! Just after returning from there I started as the first archaeologist on the Whydah so I can't escape it!

Whydahdiver:skullflag::skullflag:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir Robert Marx lives down here and gives lectures at the local college and gave one on his dive at Port Royal in 1966.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there in 1982 with Texas A&M, I'm a bottle freak and we found 72 intact onion bottles in the storeroom of a tavern, it was very tough to not bring one home!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions