TM104A

Nov 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Be careful researching it, ppl already filed claims for the wrecks, you are probably wasting your time researching it if you are planning on salvage

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the site.easy to answer your request.Ernie Richards in WPB.he has every book you need and a super guy also.Listen to Aquanut.
have good weekend.Tom

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I am new to the site and I am looking for info on the ships and their captains of the 1715 fleet. Does anyone know when and where the ships in the fleet were built and if any of the captains survived the wreck and if so when and where they died and what happened to them after this event. Thanks. TM

What Aquanut said...

Yes some "Captains" and owners survived.

The ships and life after the disaster is slightly deeper research than most of the common knowledge.

Gross Music here on Tnet has some good posts about life after the disaster for some.

Best of luck.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Get the book "Florida's Golden Galleons" by Robert Burgess and Carl Claussen. It has everything you want to know about the 1715 fleet.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Genealogy is probably easier to look up now since I wrote my Treasure Galleons book. I'm amazed each year how much more is available online. Problem is, most is in Spanish, so that will make it harder if you don't speak Spanish (I don't, though I've learned to read it pretty well by now).

Somewhere on tnet I think is a list of passengers from Ubilla's ship(s). I recall at least one or two of the marquis' sons were aboard, but I don't know their fate. I do know the fate of Echeverz & three of his sons in later years. Definitely had a rough time in the years just after the wrecks. Someone here on tnet I think told me that one of his descendants lived on the Treasure Coast years ago, but I can't recall any details.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genealogy is probably easier to look up now since I wrote my Treasure Galleons book. I'm amazed each year how much more is available online. Problem is, most is in Spanish, so that will make it harder if you don't speak Spanish (I don't, though I've learned to read it pretty well by now).

Somewhere on tnet I think is a list of passengers from Ubilla's ship(s). I recall at least one or two of the marquis' sons were aboard, but I don't know their fate. I do know the fate of Echeverz & three of his sons in later years. Definitely had a rough time in the years just after the wrecks. Someone here on tnet I think told me that one of his descendants lived on the Treasure Coast years ago, but I can't recall any details.

Well... might need to start with French ... heh

Beings the surviving Captain was French :)

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
morning TM104A.been trying to reach you.can't reply for some reason(me being dumb most likely}.I have a Haskins report in original binder.
please contact me with your phone number please.Morning Diverlynn,Aquanut,Galleon Hunter and rest of you guys and gals.Tom

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
This was published earlier on this forum. A partial list of those that perished.

Attachments

• NEW 1715 SUMMARY from Cadiz.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 95

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there still 4-5 ships out of 11 that haven’t been claimed so far? I was just watching Josh Gates again(I know I know) and it seemed a few of the wrecks hadn’t been validated yet? Perhaps the ones which weren’t AS loaded down got pushed further in the direction the storm was going before they broke up? I got to watch Gary Drayton go magnet fishing too so there’s that....but no treasure is worth losing my life over by getting attacked by an alligator....and,the hoops these salvage operations have to go through are just unreal sometimes. Trying to backtrace ship locations through handed down family history might work...but who knows how many skimmers have been out to these things and taken treasure before they were even documented? So many questions....and such a big ocean. It’s inconceivable that the Spanish had collected that much treasure,and that these Central American cultures even had it in the first place to take,if that’s indeed where it really came from. Fascinating....

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ With 60 hurricanes (in that area) w/in the last 300 years the ships could be anyplace .

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

During one of Sir Robert Marx's lecture he mentioned that his wife Jennifer may be a descendant of one of the original salvagers of the 1715 fleet.

I appreciated the list of passengers provided by Aquanut. The names of the women passengers could they be tied to family coat of arms that may contain the Flag of the Cross of Burgundy?

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1715 fleet also got Sam Bellamy and his XO Paul Williams started on their pirate careers cause after they failed to salvage any Spanish treasure they "went on the account" so thank you 1715!

Whydahdiver

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 1715 fleet also got Sam Bellamy and his XO Paul Williams started on their pirate careers cause after they failed to salvage any Spanish treasure they "went on the account" so thank you 1715!

YEP!
Now we're speaking my language!
(I was just rewriting one of my screenplay scenes with Bellamy vs. Jennings when I saw this post.)

Bellamy & Williams didn't just go on the account - they got their start with Jennings then double-crossed him a few months after he took the 87,000 pesos from Salmon at the wreck sites, some of which may very well have made its way onto the Whydah & gone down with her.

And Bellamy & Williams' first prize ship Marianne may actually have a very loose tie to at least one 1715 ship if not two (Hampton Court & Grifon).

Wondering if anyone else has ever made the same connections.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the last Sedgwick coin auction in Orlando in November and met Barry Clifton. He talked about discovering the Whydah. He had xray pictures of encrusted objects. A couple of 8 reales from the Whydah dated 1715 sold for $10K and $13K. The same coins found in Florida would be about $350 to $400 each. Talk about the value of provenance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread