ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This saddens me, I lived on the Conquistador for two years when I first moved to Florida. She's been through a few hands since then, but I have lots of great memories on her. I'm glad there were no injuries and that I still have all the friends I made via that boat.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is me on the stern of the Conq getting ready to dive. I rebuilt the port engine after Jason accidentally got water down the carb and bent a rod.

DCP01051.JPG

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I was just reading about all this before work yesterday. Went to the marina to work on our own boat. Just finished up on the port shaft and headed over to my wood shop for some friday afternoon beers. All of a sudden over the radio I hear my wife shouting at me. She never comes to the shop unless it's an emergency. She says you need to go back to the marina....your boat has fallen off the Jack stands !!! What a disaster...the mechanic almost died but was able to jump off the ladder as the boat fell !! He was very shaken but uninjured !! All of us had been under the boat most of the day....you can see the fresh cote of bottom paint. The painters had just finished up and walked away. they too were only saved by the timing of the fall !! I actually was sick to my stomach last night and threw up from anxiety. I hate to think how long this repair process will take....got a feeling I'll be in this marina for months....or I'll be fired and have a bunch of free time !! Dang....what a day for me !! Rained for 2 days....saturated ground gave way and she was up on stands and had no rail ties under the keel. At 77000 pounds they should have used the railroad ties and I dont think this would have happened !!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... At 77000 pounds they should have used the railroad ties and I dont think this would have happened !!

I'm guessing they will from now on.

Man o man that is scary. Glad everyone was ok.

Question about the ties. I'm in construction and very cognizant of weight and spreading out any loads. I understand the jacks and ties are placed at strategic points to carry the weight of the boat but when you consider each only spreads the weight out over a 6"-8" area, is there any advantage to placing a longer piece (1'-2') parallel to the hull to help distribute the weight better? (Like the rails on a trailer do.)

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hind sight is always 2020.
Those jack stands should probably have been sitting on sheets of 3/4" outdoor plywood.

I have to put plywood under my jack stands to keep them from sinking into the hot asphalt in my driveway.

Just like anything else being supported, it's only as good as the foundation.

I wonder why the other vessels did not have a problem :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I was just reading about all this before work yesterday. Went to the marina to work on our own boat. Just finished up on the port shaft and headed over to my wood shop for some friday afternoon beers. All of a sudden over the radio I hear my wife shouting at me. She never comes to the shop unless it's an emergency. She says you need to go back to the marina....your boat has fallen off the Jack stands !!! What a disaster...the mechanic almost died but was able to jump off the ladder as the boat fell !! He was very shaken but uninjured !! All of us had been under the boat most of the day....you can see the fresh cote of bottom paint. The painters had just finished up and walked away. they too were only saved by the timing of the fall !! I actually was sick to my stomach last night and threw up from anxiety. I hate to think how long this repair process will take....got a feeling I'll be in this marina for months....or I'll be fired and have a bunch of free time !! Dang....what a day for me !! Rained for 2 days....saturated ground gave way and she was up on stands and had no rail ties under the keel. At 77000 pounds they should have used the railroad ties and I dont think this would have happened !!

Wow Bart, just saw this. Hope you got her back on solid ground. Scary event, nobody hurt fortunately

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread