Travel Channel Show Looking for the Skeleton Canyon Treasure and Dutch Schultz Loot

Dec 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello treasure hunters! Happy New Year! Travel Channel has a new show about two brothers that travel the world to investigate wilderness mysteries. We are going to Arizona in March to film an episode on the Skeleton Canyon Treasure. We are also going to the Catskills in March to search for Dutch Schultz lost loot. If you or anyone you know would like to participate on the show as an expert on the subject or simply as a private researcher who has places they can take us to look - I would love to talk with you. We are looking for a total of two treasure hunters that our hosts can meet with to discuss their knowledge and findings. We need two for each episode, so a total of four people.
Cheers,
Ryan
Producer COTW

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anybody in there right mind want to run around the desert/forest/wilderness ect. to look for treasure ? I don't know if anybody has told you or not but I once read that it is hot and sweaty with lots of bugs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Oh my gosh !! A "lost treasure loot" If you have any doubt that it's real, all you have to do is .... drum-roll ... : Cut and paste the original legend of "lost treasure loot" title.

Then it's beyond dispute. The proof is, to merely cite the legend. As done here. Presto, problem solved: Then it's up to EVERYONE ELSE to DIS-prove the "legend". Lest it remain bullet-proof true.

Right ?

I hope it was ok that I posted this :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Dec 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! It is hot and sweaty and full of bugs. Thanks for responding. Tom in Ca you can post whatever you want. Freedom of speech rocks in my book. You guys know anyone we should talk with?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Last edited:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Ryan, Post this on the Shipwreck Forum. The response there may be a bit more positive.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ryan, Post this on the Shipwreck Forum...

Curious why an Arizona story would have more impact on the "shipwreck" forum ? Last I checked: There's no beaches for shipwrecks in AZ

Or am I out-0f-line for saying that ? :(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan, Post this on the Shipwreck Forum. The response there may be a bit more positive.

Moved thread to Shipwreck Forum.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There's mysteries in the wilderness?Noooo there can't be,say it ain't so.

Yes. There is. And it's up to YOU to DIS-prove them. They are the starting default premise. If you can't dis-prove them, then ...... they're true.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Curious why an Arizona story would have more impact on the "shipwreck" forum ? Last I checked: There's no beaches for shipwrecks in AZ

Or am I out-0f-line for saying that ? :(

The term " Travel the World" is used my friend, it was not restricted to Arizona. Those of us that research shipwrecks also discover associated treasure sites/legends of treasure and the like that may be related. We are not so closed minded as to think treasure is only on shipwrecks and very often we do investigate land sites. Also understand our community is quite diverse and we do have many contacts that may help this fellow. I really am ashamed of those of you on here that try to ridicule someone who is attempting to do something positive in his life. If you have nothing positive to offer, you have nothing worth saying. I'm particularly surprised that I see a couple posts on here that come from guys that have been quite helpful in the past. You're better that this, if you are skeptical and think a post is a scam, find some information to back your opinion or consider keeping it to yourself until you do. Ridicule is child's play. Man Up!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....Those of us that research shipwrecks also discover associated treasure sites/legends of treasure...

Did not know that a shipwreck forum was also covering in-land too. I was just going by the title of the forum-category. Looking down through the lists of other topics/posts, I see that you are right. Evolved to include inland subjects too. Ok.

.... that try to ridicule someone who is attempting to ...

.... and think a post is a scam, ....

No. The persons who post about the various legends are QUITE sincere. No ridicule of "them". My comment was directed at the story/legends. Not the persons. And there is NO "scam" attempt. My "ridicule" is/was aimed at the general concept of various legends in general. See ? I hope that the O.P. can see my poke is at the psychology that drives the various "legends" themselves. And how we can all better our efforts, by seeing how that psychology works. THAT is the best benefit we can give ourselves. Critical thinking lessens goose chases.

....information to back your opinion ...

You mean, information to show that any particular legend IS just baseless superstition , right ? If so, then that's exactly as I was saying: That the burden of proof gets shifted to others to DIS prove them. Rather than the burden of proof being on the adherents to show that they DID happen . Other than the points of the legend itself. That's all I was saying. It's an easy lull to get pulled into. Because, yes: The stories are so fun to read.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to go on a Treasure Quest of a known treasure but there is a problem most folks fathom to consider! It is quite likely that many treasures of well known legend and stories were already found and the finder or finders had the good sense to keep their' mouths shut.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
We are looking for a total of two treasure hunters that our hosts can meet with to discuss their knowledge and findings. We need two for each episode, so a total of four people.

I was also curious as to why you chose the Shipwrecks forum, Ryan. You might get more responses from people closer to the specific discipline you are looking for if you posted in the Cache Hunting forum. Every treasure legend that ever existed has been discussed there, including Skeleton Canyon. Here are the search results for the term "skeleton canyon" from the Cache Hunting forum. They should at least give you some names to follow up on:

Cache Hunting Forum "Skeleton Canyon" Search Results

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also curious as to why you chose the Shipwrecks forum, Ryan. You might get more responses from people closer to the specific discipline you are looking for if you posted in the Cache Hunting forum. Every treasure legend that ever existed has been discussed there, including Skeleton Canyon. Here are the search results for the term "skeleton canyon" from the Cache Hunting forum. They should at least give you some names to follow up on:

Cache Hunting Forum "Skeleton Canyon" Search Results

I moved thread here at Aquanut's request. If you read the early replies you will see why. :icon_thumright:

Your link is dead, this one may work for awhile..

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=23315441

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... It is quite likely that many treasures of well known legend and stories were already found....t.

This is a possibility. It's also possible that there was never a "treasure", in the first place. That it was never anything more than camp-fire story and telephone game gone awry. Maybe. Just maybe a possibility.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shipwrecks? Not sure about Skeleton Canyon, but Esopus Creek where "Dutch Schultz" Flegenheimer supposedly stashed the loot you can wade across. Great trout fishing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Both links are dead now. Sorry about that. Fortunately, if TCP Ryan wants to follow up on the names, he only has to log in, go to the Cache Hunters forum and input "skeleton canyon" into the Search Thread field. There actually is some interesting discussion about it there.

Yes, unfortunately links for searches time out fairly quickly..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread