For mixed gas or long term divers out there.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a doctor. I am not endorsing the following, it is COMPLETELY up to the individual to do as they will with the following information!

I have been diving for over 20 years, from SCUBA, TRIMIX, and Heliox mixes. Lungs take a beating, especially with the mixed gas.

I found the following information useful.

The Treatment of Pulmonary Diseases and Respiratory-Related Conditions with Inhaled (Nebulized or Aerosolized) Glutathione

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been diving for over 20 years, from SCUBA, TRIMIX, and Heliox mixes. Lungs take a beating, especially with the mixed gas.
Please elaborate. I never heard of any long term lung issues with any of these.

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Island of Anglesey Wales UK
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is incorrect

Adding helium to a gas mix actually benefits the lungs by reducing stress on the lung

Obviously the mixes have to be accurate

Heliox is actually used in aiding pulmonary disease/damage repair

OP
OP
xaos

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh, a Google search! The medical mix that is used for asthma and COPD is different, and is augmented with additives such as albuterol. It relaxes the lungs by increasing capacity, which is important with COPD and Asthma. Have you considered what it does when you do not have your lungs being restricted by these ailments?

It does not appear that you have ever used Heliox? I know exactly what it felt like after a dive.

There are alerts on DAN and other sites...

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ahhh, a Google search! The medical mix that is used for asthma and COPD is different, and is augmented with additives such as albuterol. It relaxes the lungs by increasing capacity, which is important with COPD and Asthma. Have you considered what it does when you do not have your lungs being restricted by these ailments?

It does not appear that you have ever used Heliox? I know exactly what it felt like after a dive.

There are alerts on DAN and other sites...

So how did it feel? Not trying to start a fight, but can you provide any medical data other than your own experience?

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mixed gas/deep air divers.

So how did it feel? Not trying to start a fight, but can you provide any medical data other than your own experience?
Not trying to side-track this discussion but just offering my experience on deep air diving. My twin brother and I dove deep air in the past (now shallow wrecks) on deep wrecks off California and Alaska. I backed off after CNS hit (many thanks to diving Dr. Tommy Love at Travis AFB chamber for his treatment) after diving a wreck in Alaska. Twin brother continued with further expeditions and has had both shoulders (total) replaced and never had a hit (other than likely silent hits). He's still in total denial on the deep air being the cause. Funny as after his second operation he had a call with Bart Malone (passed away last year) and he was driving down to Newport News Maritime Museum and Bart asked the guys in the van (6-8 guys?) and half had their shoulders replaced. Strange that early commercial HeOx divers (before they refined tables) had hips replaced and sport divers took shoulder hits. His shoulder Balls were 'knarly' from the dead bone marrow in that bone being deposited in ball and wiping out the cartilage. Just saying...… Really miss the charge we got from the narced wreck dives but the shallow wrecks are better for au.

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 79

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dysbaric osteonecrosis...

Long term deep air divers seem to be afflicted by it...interesting article that DAN did about it awhile back...good reading.

Alert Diver | Dysbaric Osteonecrosis in Recreational Diving

From DIVER magazine...

https://divermag.com/dysbaric-osteonecrosis/

Quite a few reference articles under "Aseptic Bone necrosis" if ya want to do a search...

ag

So from what I just read, you need to suffer from DCS over a long period of time for this to happen.

OP
OP
xaos

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who dive with Heliox, especially deeper dives, know exactly what it is like. Coughing foam for a few hours to a few days.

Get a sore throat from Trimix? What do you think it does to your lungs?

There is a reason there really arent any definitive studies, the base study group is too small. Try looking at Heliox divers and North Sea.

Not here to debate dive experience or anything.

The medical treatment information is to use at your will.

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So from what I just read, you need to suffer from DCS over a long period of time for this to happen.

I'm not sure about that Boats....I suspect that the DON is more indictative of perfusion issues than DCS...remember, bone is one of the least perfused masses in the body... I'd love to see a more in-depth study in regards to DON and how it pertains to what I suspect may well be, micro bubbling in perfusion challenged tissue dense areas...

I could definitely see where microbubbles in solution could, while not creating a DCS issue, be indictative of long term destruction on perfusion limited body mass areas.

I'm certainly no doctor...but imo, there may well be a corrolation between microbubbling and bone damage.

ag

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those who dive with Heliox, especially deeper dives, know exactly what it is like. Coughing foam for a few hours to a few days.

Get a sore throat from Trimix? What do you think it does to your lungs?

There is a reason there really arent any definitive studies, the base study group is too small. Try looking at Heliox divers and North Sea.

Not here to debate dive experience or anything.

The medical treatment information is to use at your will.

I cough from multiple air dives. That is dry throat. So what you are talking about is throat irritation, not long term lung damage. If not, then please show me the medical data.

Again, not trying to start a fight. You made a statement that concerns me as a diver for 40+ years, which at 57 is most of my life.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatlode I have studied hyperbaric medicine and let me assure you there is no mixed gas that will damage your lungs. Even the article said there is no problem for recreational divers. One of the doctors stated there is "no significant risk to recreational divers." I have been diving mixed gas since 1996 with no ill effects. Lile Lukdiver says DON effects your bones, joints, not your lungs.

OP
OP
xaos

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cough from multiple air dives. That is dry throat. So what you are talking about is throat irritation, not long term lung damage. If not, then please show me the medical data.

Again, not trying to start a fight. You made a statement that concerns me as a diver for 40+ years, which at 57 is most of my life.

I am not providing anything but a possible relief (if you need one). Just as with the myriad of experience, everyone is different.

Thoughts: As you note, you cough from "dry throat" but what really is that? Your throat is far larger than your lung passages.... Just as I observed, divers on Heliox , including myself, coughing foam.

Degradation of your bones, but lungs are not affected?

I have been diving mixed gas since 1996 with no ill effects.

oh really! 8-) I saw you at the BBQ... damn dude. That cant be natural, so what did happen?

Edit: instead of searching for the cause, search for the potential cures of an issue.....

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am not providing anything but a possible relief (if you need one). Just as with the myriad of experience, everyone is different.
A nice cold bottle of water between dives gives me relief. And after the last dive of the day a nice cold beer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread