Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard of the SS Emidio?
It was the very first ship to be torpedoed by the Japanese off our Pacific Coast. I think within a week or two of Pearl Harbor. It happened south of where I live. The Japanese knocked out the propulsion system and it drifted north into our rocks and sunk. We have a memorial in our beachfront park with a big piece of the ship.

Well a couple days ago I was beachcombing at least 4-5 miles north of the wreck (which is completely submerged) and I think l found a piece of it washed ashore. It is heavy steel plate and about three feet by three feet and I could not even move it. We had just had a full week of fierce storms and high tides.

I was telling our resident lighthouse keeper a few days ago and he knew exactly the piece I was talking about. It has been there for years. We have several pieces of the Emidio in our lighthouse and museum.

I just wish something gets washed ashore from the Brother Jonathan. It also sunk in the same general area and only half the gold has been recovered.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the story of that ship:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Emidio
Strange-- that when I was looking for the Brother Jonathan, I never heard of this wreck.
Thanks,
Don....
The Brother Jonathon has Been found but only about half the gold has been recovered. We have one of the gold coins in out museum. It is in a chunk of matrix. This chunk is big enough to cover another gold coin. I have hired a few times to the museum curator to let me check it out with my pinpointer to see if there could be another coin. So far no luck. Maybe someday, I work at the museum.

Don... if you are ever in the area we also have many artifacts from the wreck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread