Anchor from Chesapeake Bay in Maryland

Terrib

Feb 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband and his buddies go fishing on a charter boat in the Chesapeake Bay off Southern Maryland every year and 'caught' this anchor this past fall. It looks unique due to the number of 'hooks' and we know little about anchors or dating them so thought I would show it here and get opinions. I searched the web looking at anchors and could not find one that looked like this. There have been tons of shipwrecks in the bay going waaay back. We are going to display it out by our pool and it has mussel and barnacle remains on it and we find it very interesting. Would appreciate any insight and thanks. Its about 3 feet tall. The one picture was not 'on its side' when I selected and uploaded it????

anchor pic 2.jpg anchor pic 1.jpg

Terrib

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Doesn't look heavy enough to be an anchor. That looks more like a grappling hook used to drag for shipwrecks. That's how they found them in the old days before sonar and magnetometers.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Terri-

Great find!! Unfortunately, while no expert on anchors...I'd suggest to you that is a modern boat grapnel. Nothing special about it... EXCEPT...the story. Enjoy it as a conversation piece and make sure you conserve it if it is ferrous metal.

Regards,

ag

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find could be a small anchor Im thinking grappling hook also

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also Tommy

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a boat anchor. These were used to anchor submerged "anchor gill nets". Other types of gill nets were staked or drifted on the surface and did not use anchors. They were used when sinking gill nets were legal in Chesapeake Bay (before 1992) and since then by poachers. The gill nets were used to catch striped bass. Anchor gill nets are the favorite gear of poachers who fish them at night. There would be an anchor at either end and the nets could stretch for many hundreds of yards.

Two lines were attached to the eye of the grapnel. One went to a float and the other went to the float line of the gill net. There is a picture of this same type of hook on page 68 Figure 21 of Paula Johnson's 1988 book "Working the Water. The Commercial Fisheries of Maryland's Patuxent River."

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Terrib

Feb 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the answers. I did not get emails notifying me of replies....??? I checked my settings and it says I should be getting them. Nothing in my junk folder either. Oh well!

I thought it was too light to be an anchor since I could easily lift it and I am over 65 and it sure didn't look like any anchor I have ever seen ! I deferred to the 3 guys who were all raised around water like we were and they fish all the time and my husband was part owner of a dive boat. Can't wait to tell them....lol. I am surprised that the captain or mates on the charter boat when they 'caught' this grappling hook did tell them what it was. They will see him again in June.

Funny story.........we have yard full of hickory trees and dozens of squirrels and gazillions of buried nuts but they got so lazy they took the old dried up barnacles and mussel shells off the hook thinking there was 'meat' in side. I was furious. Found two sides of mussel shell up near the garage door . When we decide where to keep the hook I will glue them back on for decoration but I bet they take them off again. Nothing is sacred to a squirrel.

Thanks again!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is also called a reef anchor. Mild steel and it can be bent back to normal shape. Just for anchoring at a reef or oyster bar, usually to fish. If it gets hung up, and normal driving forward doesn’t get it loose, it can be pulled loose and straightened back with out breaking. Unlike a normal forged steel anchor. Or cast iron anchor.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The squirrels likely removed the barnacles and mussel shells more for the salt that they had absorbed and still contained than any possibility of getting any meat out of them. If you have not done so, you need to bathe the anchor in fresh water to leach the salt out of the metal and out of anything still attached to it, making sure to change the fresh water every three to five days and continue for at least a month. Otherwise, the metal will continue to rust and literally rust away in a few years. Besides, leaching out the salt will help with keeping the squirrels from taking off any more barnacles and mussel shells.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here where that anchor was found and I'm certain that it is an anchor gill net anchor - and either used legally before 1992, or illegally by poachers since then. Locally they are called gill net anchors. Typically, when the natural resources police closed in on poachers at night, they would cut the float line and there would be no evidence of an illegal net in their possession. Unfortunately, the gill nets would continue to kill fish, mostly striped bass, until the nets balled up in storms. The hooks are common in the area. I have also seen them used to retrieve lost crab pots.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am grappling with all of the answers

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late on the bandwagon here...

What you have is a grappling hook... or just "grapnel"...

I have collected and owned dozens of these in all shapes and sizes...

This is NOT an anchor... OF ANY kind... never have been used as an anchor... NOR designed in any way as such.

IT IS... and always has been considered a "TOOL".

These are mainly used in recovery.

The "bending metal" post is um... ?

Anyway... these are used with 2 lines... the throw / pull... and a release line...

The throw line attaches to top... the recover / release line attaches to bottom... this is in case the recovery must be aborted and grapnel must be "reset" or recovered itself... you slack the top line and angle pull bottom line to retrieve.

PS... anyone planning on boating OR own a boat already and acquire one of these and intend to try ad use it for an anchor...
my advice would be to use a cinder block instead...

for you would get better anchoring results.

OH and PSS...

NEVER anchor ON a reef. EVER... not only is it dangerous... AND BAD for reefs... In Florida... its illegal... and punishments are severe.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And furthermore...

I must correct myself... There ARE grappling anchors... BUT they are small for small crafts LIKE a kayak OR a "dingy" style... BUT they have flared prongs that hold... the are not just round pronged... and they fold for easy storage... own a couple of these as well.

s-l3fff00.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold all my large grapnels long ago... but still prolly own five or six in storage now... and I always run with at least a 12 and a small custom stainless six inch... beings I recover trash and debris whenever I am on the water.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use one of those on my jet ski.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread