Green Cabin wreck Location

Yaco787

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, how are you?

I was wondering if anyone had a "definitive" location/GPS for the Green cabin wreck on treasure coast.

I've looked at various books and maps but they all seem to have different locations that vary by more than a quarter mile. I know where the "scraggly tree is" which is where bob weller said the center of the wreck is, but then in the actual book it says that the wreck center is about 1000 feet south of Vero beach disney resort. The scraggly tree is MUCH further than 1000 ft south.

Also, i was wondering if there was any news on which ship the coins came from that were found directly behind disney in about 6 feet of water a few years ago.

They are 1715 coins, but there is no 1715 ship within a halfmile or more of that location. As i remember, they had 9 royales found which means that the coins came from a ship carrying treasure specifically for the king himself. Could there be another wreck undiscovered in that area?

Thanks

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins came off of Corrigans site. And green cabin wreck is a good distance from there.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A very good resource if you are new-ish to the Treasure Coast can be found here:
http://www.mdhtalk.org/articles/beaches/1715-fleet/1715-article.pdf

Salvaging hurricane wreckage on a windward shore never a matter of "the ship and her cargo ar located at "## ##.### Lat, ## ##.### Long. in 57 feet of water" It is a scatter...you might find a ballast pile offshore in 40 feet of water, but the wreckage 'scatters' all to hell and gone. The scatter patterns on the 1715 Fleet wrecks are indicative of the ships being blown into too-shallow water, being gutted on the limestone reef where they spilled ballast and cannon and treasure, and then pieces and parts being blown onto and up the beach to the north atop the storm surge by wind and wave action. It is possible that some were cast over the barrier island into the Indian River Lagoon, but anything inside the shallow Lagoon would likely have been salvaged easily. It is also possible that like the San Jose 1631 that wrecked in the Perlas Isles off the west coast of Panama, one or more of the 1715 Fleet may have stuck bottom far offshore, lost her bottom and then scattered ballast and treasure on the way in...we may never know...but I think we might know more at the end of this season!

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Things are getting stirred up. This 12 by 14 by 8 foot timber washed up 1 mile south from Urca de Lima, (pepper park, ft. pierce) IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1182.JPG

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good resource if you are new-ish to the Treasure Coast can be found here:
http://www.mdhtalk.org/articles/beaches/1715-fleet/1715-article.pdf

Salvaging hurricane wreckage on a windward shore never a matter of "the ship and her cargo ar located at "## ##.### Lat, ## ##.### Long. in 57 feet of water" It is a scatter...you might find a ballast pile offshore in 40 feet of water, but the wreckage 'scatters' all to hell and gone. The scatter patterns on the 1715 Fleet wrecks are indicative of the ships being blown into too-shallow water, being gutted on the limestone reef where they spilled ballast and cannon and treasure, and then pieces and parts being blown onto and up the beach to the north atop the storm surge by wind and wave action. It is possible that some were cast over the barrier island into the Indian River Lagoon, but anything inside the shallow Lagoon would likely have been salvaged easily. It is also possible that like the San Jose 1631 that wrecked in the Perlas Isles off the west coast of Panama, one or more of the 1715 Fleet may have stuck bottom far offshore, lost her bottom and then scattered ballast and treasure on the way in...we may never know...but I think we might know more at the end of this season!

Always good insight from Mr. Black!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additional scatter also to the South of each Wreck when the winds changed direction on the back side of the hurricane and dragged debris in that direction as well.

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking with Google Earth. This is not the Cabin Wreck (Regla) which is located @ 27 49 582N. 80 25 780W which is about 5 mi north. This is the San Roman (Corrigans wreck) a little south of Wabasso Beach.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the Whydah sank in 1717 there were bodies all over the beach. After locals stripped the good stuff off them they helped bury them and then tried to get the governor of Massachusetts to pay for this "service"! If this had happened today, the great whites would have a field day, we see them out on site all the time now as the seal population continues to grow.

WD

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t blame them. I’d try to get some money out of the governor if I could! And that’s a fact. White sharks are reported all the time by fisherman here , a mile out from Rudee Inlet. Humans aren’t a natural food source(yet). When an apex predatory is hungry they’re gonna eat! Regardless of what it is.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a fatality last year about 1 mile from the site and there have been many beach closures due to those big guys.

WD

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting the beach at the Green Cabin wreck site a couple of years ago when the Capitana salvage boat recovered a 1614 eight reale. Brent Brisben brought it to the beach for a TV interview and I got to see it up close. The same time they recovered a High School class ring that turned out to be lost about 40 years earlier in a burglary in Miami. They ultimately got it traced back to the original owner who now lived in Colorado. Ring returned, it's a crazy, funny business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread