Ship Bell Found

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Bell...Shows...TAFAN!

Until more information is revealed...Maybe...Tafan?

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it appears that maker and bell info are on the rim of the bell. Need a closeup to see the makers name.
Rim.png

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
it appears that maker and bell info are on the rim of the bell. Need a closeup to see the makers name.
View attachment 1707726
excellent info sail, but I can't see squat in the photo; of 210 posts this is the standout
some questions:
when did they start to include the makers name on the rim?
are bells still marked in this way?
any particular part of the rim (wrt the hanging bracket on top)?

Hank

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a small cross like image......I think ?? I believe I see what your talking about. !! That's why it's good to have lots of eyes looking at it !! I sure did miss that. Nice work.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20190429-072829_Chrome.jpg is that the mark ?? Wow.....I cant believe I did not see that !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I open the pic all the way it looks alot like the English broad arrow ??

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20190429-080401_Chrome.jpg I cant even glance at the pic without my eye catching that now.

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is info relating to Corrosive effects on this wreck done by Texas A&M.
ssf.JPG

https://www.boem.gov/ESPIS/3/3679.pdf

yes, bart you found the cross and below it is writing. To me it looks like 1544 date with name following.(that is 10 - 11 years prior to sinking)

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
ok sail and Bart, which program are you using to view the image?
I am using Windows Media Player and don't see anything

Franco

edit; got (med) high res screen, its not that

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190429_083441.jpg
I see something in both areas that are circled....I'm just working with the OP and my phone bill. Not sure about res....maybe I should fiddle with that and see if I can get a crisper shot.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raised....cast....I think !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job sailaway !! All these days of looking at the image and it looks obvious to me now. This changes every thing. I see a cross, or broad arrow ?? I cant make a date but I see what looks like script on the rim ?? What think ye mates ??

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mark confirms the ship as being from Dubrovnik as the records say when it left Cadiz Spain headed west.
https://www.academia.edu/1454726/A_...Dubrovnik_Post-Medieval_Archaeology_45_2_2011
Ivan Rabljanin (Joannes Baptista Arbensis de la Tolle ) (1470–1540), who made cannon for Dubrovnik fortifications and ships. Records also indicate that ordnance was produced to orders from across the Mediterranean: Naples, Sicily, Barcelona, Bari, Treviso and the Spanish fleet.
In 1545, the Senate also required a new foundry to be constructed for artillery production in the area underneath the Min"eta tower, to replace an earlier workshop where the famous caster Ivan Krstitelj Rabljanin had worked.
This earlier foundry had to be demolished to allow for the construction of the Revelin Fortress.
Trade regulations of 1509 in nearby Regensburg prohibited trade in non-local pottery, with the black pottery from Obernzell the only exception. This shows that Obernzell products were well established and recognized as special.
There are no references in the available literature that explicitly confirm their importation by the Republic of Dubrovnik. However, Dubrovnik was undoubtedly able to procure these prestigious products, as confirmed by the archaeological finds, no doubt aided by the financial power of the Republic and its proximity to the source. The purchase of crucibles would have been justified by the Republic’s need for easier and faster casting of bells and of cannon, cannon balls and other components of their arsenal.
Df.PNG
That means this bell is one of the last castings in the old foundry. It also means according to records that the ship was heavily laden with Silver and Gold headed back home when lost! Well worth the cost of permits and archaeological red tape! Finder please contact Texas A&M, who recovered the Molasses shipwreck for proper recovery and preservation!

NGO for Historic Preservation
Corpus Christi, Tx

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont need to drink more rum! It is my neighbors dog, she need a support animal after Hillary lost the election. I figured the poor animal need a break.

My emotional support animal is a bull shark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread