Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy boys....I've never claimed anything except that sailaway has pointed out what possibly could be more details......POSSIBLY.... !! I myself would not declare anything from a grainy photo of half a bell, but I'm not condemning sailaway for taking a shot at it. Anything is plausible. I dont have the letters DR in front of black bart and so far I havnt herd anyone addressed as professor. I dont disagree with anyone's conjecture, and I cant go up to the bell and rub the bottom band with my thumb and see if that's encrustacion, sulphide and salts, corrosion, or even a mark and script. If theres even a possibility of a mark or script than I must carefully consider and examine it. So you guys know....I am going to the original pic...opening it all the way with a double tap and zooming from there. I dont see 1544 in my blowups, and I dont see a cross in my blowups, but i do see that sailaway blow ups are different from mine. I can see a cross like image in his blow up but it looks to me like the left arm of the cross is crooked. When I blow up the image I get something like a English broad arrow mark. And the lower rim I get what looks like script and an ampersand. I'm not declaring this as fact, I'm saying what do you guys think of the images ??? Do you see anything when you blow up the image yourself ??? Do you see anything in my or sailaway pics ?? Have you used the original pic, or other screenshots of it ??? If there is something on the bottom rim and that is a mark should it not be investigated more, or ruled out positively ??? Well speak up then. What's the consensus because I cant tell. So instead of *****ing gentlemen I will don my smoking jacket get my spectacles and magnifying glass out and start with my imaging and resolution and try and clarify things maybe. Oh and by the way boys alot of sailaway lettering in his research eerily matches.....an owner named farafan....a vessel named estavan, estaban, or is it estafan !! And an r that would match the R in Republic of dubrovnik. I cant discount those similarities without looking into it myself. In the end I predict this thread might go by by anyway.....too much was said early and if this bell was removed from Caribbean, or bahamian waters itll get ugly eventually. Already when I search bells on line I get this bell in my searches. What's done is done no turning back now. So let's relax and take a closer look at this supposed mark and script. And maybe rule it out or confirm that theres more there. I'm still not sure so I'll look some more....what else can I do ??

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant get much more detail from that pic, also tried searching for bell marks.....could not find a cross except for decorative purposes but did find the broad arrow mark both inside and outside on ships bells Screenshot_20190429-220148_Chrome.jpg
1415802380916_Image_galleryImage_The_bell_of_the_HMS_Erebu.JPG still not sure if that's a mark and maybe never will be sure. Cant figure out if that's a mark, cant figure out the motif on the top band( image or meaning ), and cant figure out the wording, Screenshot_20190429-080401_Chrome.jpg that little mark if that's what it is looks very close to the broad arrow. Basically I'm right where I always was with this bell.....stumped until more info comes up.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hers another broad arrow mark on the ships bell recovered from the wreck of the erebus. Screenshot_20190430-073800_Chrome.jpg

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart try saving your pictures as PNG, if you save as JPEG your dunbing down the digital. Go to page 1 and save original photo of bell, but click save as and choose type PNG.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah ha.....that's why are blowups look different....I'll give it a try.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190430_094038.jpg is that possible script. What do you guys see ? Am I seeing things that arnt there......maybe !! Open the pic all the way.

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are bell examples that exist today from the foundry that have script around the rim. The Type set was from preformed castings and matches our bell of topic.
db.jpg
goran novo.JPG

Last edited:

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, yes I'm well aware of this article and potential. I will have more about the bell shortly. It is not "ESTEFAN" but rather 'ESTAFAN" that I think may be the lettering on the artifact. I don't believe the circled area is script, but rather a part of the encrustation on the bell still. It is interesting to hear all the speculation about the artifact, as I am in the process of doing much the same. Some of my research of late, has taken me to start reading about CC's Vizcaina and the various voyages; although I'm not so optimistic it may from one of his ships. I am looking for further research clues by lots of reading.

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, settle down. I, indeed, found this artifact on my own, as my dive buddy had gone back to the dive boat to retrieve some gear he'd forgotten. It gave me an opportunity to look around and explore a bit on my own and I was not really looking for such an artifact, but had been looking for some other things the day before and thought this might be more of the same; until I got closer to it. The artifact is a curious 'thing' at the moment and as I have a lot of day to day work, I can't get too absorbed by it without doing further testing and scanning to get a better handle on it's possible maker and associations. If I were to post every time one of these fellas was blowing some smoke to get you riled up, I'd drive myself crazy. SO, don't you. What I would like from someone in this thread is some connection to someone in Spain, Portugal, Italy or other possible foundry countries [those being my present top choices of country of origin] so that I might get some real information [not that I don't like your guide dog or his detractors] On that front, I am researching in the dark as many of the foundries focused not on ship's bells, but church bells.

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article on the Santa Maria bell.

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More attitude "Are YOU talkin' to ME?"

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article on the Santa Maria bell.

Ahhh.... that was just jibber jabber... the bell resembles the era closer than any other I have seen is all.

This bell IMO is just as old ... possibly older.

Also... there were many ships with CC... and many voyages as well.

Any an all possibilities are just that.

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The motif-how do you know it is called that? Point me to a source, please. Who was known to cultivate? I appreciate your theories, but without a source for the information, they are just possibilities.

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There ya go. I haven't abandoned you. There may be some big players involved down the road, so continue with your research, as I do from my end. Ever heard of Photogrammatry?

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, let's you and I rule out the Phoenicians and Vikings and go from there. The book I'm looking at is interesting as a lead to other things to research and possibly narrow the field of possibilities

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that this circled area is more likely encrustation remnants. Once the artifact is scanned, we'll have a better understanding of what is relevant. The lettering is fairly raised and likely done when the bell was founded. You can ignore the 'alien' symbols Mulder.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A little more info I got from my buddy. He is not the one who found it. The bell is small. It is 8" tall and 5" to 6" in diameter at the base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread