Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 16- mid 1700s bill. The baroque era. Now were getting some where. Screenshot_20190506-152730_Google.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20190429-072829_Chrome.jpg 20190506_153109.jpg no no exact date ...but there should be a nice range. So let's figure it out and narrow it down.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The canon is not from the same ship as the bell.....but I'd wager that it's from the same time period ?? Its the motifs time range and origin that will help narrow the date. The guns origins would help too,.....give us a possible origin......POSSIBLE !! just throwing it out there.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to finish work so no time to pursue now.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190506_163854.jpg st. Paul's canon I believe, 1638 Screenshot_20190506-161930_Chrome.jpg and this at 1744. Now were getting a range for the motif possibly ??

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190506_163233.jpg now a bell... but ...not quite

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A "Dark Story" Of What Might Have Been...This...Ship's Bell's...Final Destination?

I believe the name on this Bell...to be...Tafan!

The only reference to the name Tafan, is an area located in central Nigeria...known for its Slave Shipments.

Tafan Destination Guide (Nigeria (general), Nigeria) - Trip-Suggest

Tafan River.png

The River Tafan connected to the Bay of Bight of Bonny, which was shown to be a major holding area for Slaves... Prior to their Trans Atlantic destinations.

Bight Of Bonny.jpg

I was unable to locate any Ship with the registry "Tafan" from any Countries involved.

https://www.slavevoyages.org/voyage/database

Being that the size of this Bell does not designate a larger Trans Atlantic Slave Ship but more of a Slave Transport Ship, it is my opinion that this was a Ship's Bell on one of the many River Ships used to transport the Slaves along the River Tafan to Bight of Bonny...and this Ship's name was...Tafan.

How did this Bell from this Ship end up in the Caribbean?

I would speculate that with the many Pirates raiding Slave Ships for their bounty, that the Slave River Ship known as Tafan fell casualty to this practice.

The Ship's Bell along with its Slaves were then transported to the West Indies where they met their demise!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes....I also found reference to the kingdom of tafan, I had simalar thoughts about pirates ??

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, FMD!

Yes, but one can find similar baroque scrolls on French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch cannon....

Perhaps before wild unsubstantiated guesses, you look up Tafan, Nigeria, (Littattafan) and note the history. And of course, a slave ship of the day would be? (pssst Dutch) An African river boat of the 17th century with a cast bell with ships name ??? WOW.

I suspect that the Knights Templar, after dropping off the Arc of the Covenant on Oak island, sailed the TAFAN down to the Caribbean to get more coconut fiber to stuff the shaft and tunnels to the pit with.

They needed room, so the buried Francis Bacon down there in the meantime. (TAFAN is Sanskrit for Bacon)

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
For Whom The Bell Tolls!

Well, FMD!

Yes, but one can find similar baroque scrolls on French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch cannon....

Perhaps before wild unsubstantiated guesses, you look up Tafan, Nigeria, (Littattafan) and note the history. And of course, a slave ship of the day would be? (pssst Dutch) An African river boat of the 17th century with a cast bell with ships name ??? WOW.

I suspect that the Knights Templar, after dropping off the Arc of the Covenant on Oak island, sailed the TAFAN down to the Caribbean to get more coconut fiber to stuff the shaft and tunnels to the pit with.

They needed room, so the buried Francis Bacon down there in the meantime. (TAFAN is Sanskrit for Bacon)

bell (1).jpg

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
. . . . .

do you see the turtle on the lower rim ?

Ron

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought all would like to see the Whydah bell, named after Ouidah on the slave coast in what is now Benin. bell00470.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shes a beauty that's for sure !! Whydahdiver.....any gut feelings on the bell in this thread ?? Tell you what.....your bell pops up quite a bit when searching ships bells. Hats off to black Sam bellamy....what a character !!

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Whydah!...Several ships named after the famous one of 1715... Captured by...Pirates!

Thought all would like to see the Whydah bell, named after Ouidah on the slave coast in what is now Benin. View attachment 1710256

I believe this 1715 Whydah...Captained by Lawrence Prince...was the ship captured by the Pirate...Captain Samuel Bellamy

Voyage ID

Vessel name
Whydah

Vessel owner

Flag
Great Britain

Flag (imputed)
IMP

Great Britain

Place constructed

Year constructed

Place registered

Year registered

Rig of vessel

Tonnage

Standardized tonnage
IMP

Guns mounted

Outcome
Particular outcome of voyage
Bought at least one slave in Africa - subsequent fate unknown

Outcome of voyage for slaves
Slaves embarked, transhipped or no further record

Outcome of voyage if ship captured
Not captured

Outcome of voyage for owner
Original goal thwarted (natural hazard)

African resistance

Itinerary
Place where voyage began
IMP

London

Principal place of slave purchase
IMP

Whydah

1st place of slave purchase
Whydah

Vessel nameVoyage IDPlace where voyage began IMPPrincipal place of purchase IMPPrincipal place of slave landing IMPYear arrived with slaves IMPSlaves arrived 1st portCaptain's name

Whydah25726LondonWhydah1715Prince, Lawrence
Whydah Frigate76536LondonWhydahBarbados, port unspecified1721371Barlow, Samuel
Whydah90698Liverpool1757Ewings, Chris
Hammill
Whydah36197Rhode Island, port unspecifiedCape Coast CastleSaint John (Antigua)1757Ferguson, Robert
Whydah36222Rhode Island, port unspecifiedCape Coast Castle1758Gregory, Edw
Whydah36272NewportCape Coast CastleBarbados, port unspecified176331Rogers, Thom

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190507_183214.jpg Screenshot_20190422-215639_Chrome.jpg the decorative band on the vasterhaninge church bell in comparison to the OPs bell. It's close.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread