Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carve wood alot, and the decoration at the top of the bell is called a palmette. It was a popular decorative design style from the early 1600s- to the mid 1700s. I think I saw a very similar design in one of black ducks posts involving the columns. At any rate there are alot of similar designs posted on line. My search was"baroque era palmettes" Screenshot_20190317-090001_Google.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The R to the right indicates script that went around the other side. AFAN could be the end of many different words, and without the other part of the bell it could be difficult to figure out. I'm not sure what you guys mean by estafan ?? I may be missing something obvious, but the estafan name goes way back. Wealthy family in Spain immigrated to the new world in the 1500s and gains more wealth in the new world. There are alot of estefans in south Florida and Emilio estafan is decended from that family....ironically !! Lol ! Great post, I'm having fun looking at old bells and palmettes online.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete, they mean Eas"tafan" by the T they see before the AFAN. I'm not sure whether it's a letter or just a line of encrustation.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The R to the right indicates script that went around the other side. AFAN could be the end of many different words, and without the other part of the bell it could be difficult to figure out. I'm not sure what you guys mean by estafan ?? I may be missing something obvious, but the estafan name goes way back. Wealthy family in Spain immigrated to the new world in the 1500s and gains more wealth in the new world. There are alot of estefans in south Florida and Emilio estafan is decended from that family....ironically !! Lol ! Great post, I'm having fun looking at old bells and palmettes online.

Yes of course it is the end. Other side is either beginning OR just space between next set.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Tafan...Meaning?...Toughen!

A "Long Shot Clue" that may have to do with the meaning of the word, apparently appearing on the Bell...Tafan!

Punjabi word named after King Tafan.

A connection may have to do with the 17th Century...Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Duke of Cumberland.

Prince_Rupert,_Count_Palatine.jpg Prince Rupert.png

Prince Rupert was credited for the invention of Tempered or Toughened Glass:

I believe his intent was to use these Tafan Glass Balls for ballistics.

Prince Rupert 2.png

“Prince Rupert's drops (also known as Dutch or Batavian tears) are toughened glass beads created by dripping molten glass into cold water, which causes it to solidify into a tadpole-shaped droplet with a long, thin tail. These droplets are characterized internally by very high residual stresses, which give rise to counter-intuitive properties, such as the ability to withstand a blow from a hammer or a bullet on the bulbous end without breaking, while exhibiting explosive disintegration if the tail end is even slightly damaged.
The drops are named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, who brought them to England in 1660, although they were reportedly being produced in the Netherlands earlier in the 17th century and had probably been known to glass makers for much longer. They were studied as scientific curiosities by the Royal Society and the unravelling of the principles of their unusual properties probably led to the development of the process for the production of toughened glass.”

Out of the several ships he sailed and lost while "Pirating" in the Caribbean, one may have gone by the name...Tafan!

Rupert crossed back into the Atlantic and, during 1651, cut west to the Azores,capturing vessels as he went. He intended to continue on to the West Indies,where there would be many rich targets. Instead he encountered a late summer storm, leading to the sinking of the Constant Reformation with the loss of 333 lives—almost including Rupert's brother, Prince Maurice, who only just escaped and a great deal of captured treasure. Turning back to regroup, repair and re-equip in early 1652, Rupert's reduced force moored at Cape Blanc,an island near what is now Mauritania. Rupert took the opportunity to explore and acquired a Moorish servant boy,who remained in his service for many years. Rupert also explored 150 miles up the Gambia River, taking two Spanish vessels asprizes and contracting malaria in the process.
Rupert then finally made a successful crossing into the Caribbean, landing first at Saint Lucia,before continuing up the chain of the Antilles to the Virgin Islands. There the fleet was hit by a hurricane,which scattered the ships and sank the Defiance, this time with Prince Maurice on board. It was a while before Maurice's death became certain, which came as a terrible blow to Rupert. He was forced to return to Europe, arriving in France in March 1653 with a fleet of five ships.

It may be worth investigating?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "Long Shot Clue" that may have to do with the meaning of the word, apparently appearing on the Bell...Tafan!

Punjabi word named after King Tafan.

A connection may have to do with the 17th Century...Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Duke of Cumberland.

View attachment 1691969 View attachment 1691970

Prince Rupert was credited for the invention of Tempered or Toughened Glass:

I believe his intent was to use these Tafan Glass Balls for ballistics.

View attachment 1691968

“Prince Rupert's drops (also known as Dutch or Batavian tears) are toughened glass beads created by dripping molten glass into cold water, which causes it to solidify into a tadpole-shaped droplet with a long, thin tail. These droplets are characterized internally by very high residual stresses, which give rise to counter-intuitive properties, such as the ability to withstand a blow from a hammer or a bullet on the bulbous end without breaking, while exhibiting explosive disintegration if the tail end is even slightly damaged.
The drops are named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, who brought them to England in 1660, although they were reportedly being produced in the Netherlands earlier in the 17th century and had probably been known to glass makers for much longer. They were studied as scientific curiosities by the Royal Society and the unravelling of the principles of their unusual properties probably led to the development of the process for the production of toughened glass.”

Out of the several ships he sailed and lost while "Pirating" in the Caribbean, one may have gone by the name...Tafan!

Rupert crossed back into the Atlantic and, during 1651, cut west to the Azores,capturing vessels as he went. He intended to continue on to the West Indies,where there would be many rich targets. Instead he encountered a late summer storm, leading to the sinking of the Constant Reformation with the loss of 333 lives—almost including Rupert's brother, Prince Maurice, who only just escaped and a great deal of captured treasure. Turning back to regroup, repair and re-equip in early 1652, Rupert's reduced force moored at Cape Blanc,an island near what is now Mauritania. Rupert took the opportunity to explore and acquired a Moorish servant boy,who remained in his service for many years. Rupert also explored 150 miles up the Gambia River, taking two Spanish vessels asprizes and contracting malaria in the process.
Rupert then finally made a successful crossing into the Caribbean, landing first at Saint Lucia,before continuing up the chain of the Antilles to the Virgin Islands. There the fleet was hit by a hurricane,which scattered the ships and sank the Defiance, this time with Prince Maurice on board. It was a while before Maurice's death became certain, which came as a terrible blow to Rupert. He was forced to return to Europe, arriving in France in March 1653 with a fleet of five ships.

It may be worth investigating?

Whoa this post sent me down a wormhole... heh

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tafan or Ifan?

image002_LG1B.jpg

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked like there could be an "F" on the bell.

According to AARC, there is, he keeps staring at the F in bell. :tongue3:

Actually...Its an E..

From Gloria Estefans flag ship...

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to AARC, there is, he keeps staring at the F in bell. :tongue3:

Actually...Its an E..

From Gloria Estefans flag ship...

lol... I think there is a "U" after that "F"... :P

:)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like wheel of fortune, only you cant see the blanks and you dont know how many letters there are.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's like wheel of fortune, only you cant see the blanks and you dont know how many letters there are.

LOL! I'd like to buy a vowel, please.

EDIT: Where is Vanna when you need her?

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i DID CONSIDER MORE LETTERS IN THERE ON THE CURVE, WAS A LITTLE HARD TO SEE.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
bell.jpg
Definitely something before the "A"...???

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see if we can get on the curve a little better.

image002_LG1C.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread