Ship Bell Found - Page 25
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Ship Bell Found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1206 times
    or trying to avoid the consequences . . . . .

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xaos View Post
    meaning, found something valuable and is gone..or found nothing and is gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    or trying to avoid the consequences . . . . .
    Or trying to scam us, thinks we are trying to scam him/her, kidnapped by pirates, etc. Could be anything at this point, but Occam's Razor would indicate that the simplest solution is usually the correct one. And the people here that do this for a living have probably been down this road many times and know what is likely correct and what isn't.
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

ie
    Mr

Jan 2016
    Ireland
    underwater
    23 times
    Shipwrecks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c2a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1752839
    Just looking through a book on cannons, the same design appears on cannons made in Lisbon Portugal, the dates of the canons that I can see are from 1568 to 1660. This design has been found on Spanish cannons also. The intro to the Lisbon section states,

From 1580 to 1640, for dynastic reasons, Portugal (but not its overseas empire) was
    placed under the Crown of Spain, King Philip the Second of Spain being, in Portugal,
    King Philip the First (as inscribed, namely, on the artillery pieces cast in Portugal at that
    period).

Name:	c1a.jpg 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	1752840

I know nothing of plants but if anyone would know what plant it is and why it would have been important or the symbolic meaning of the plant?
    AARC likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    48308 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoopeter View Post

Name:	c2a.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1752839
    Just looking through a book on cannons, the same design appears on cannons made in Lisbon Portugal, the dates of the canons that I can see are from 1568 to 1660. This design has been found on Spanish cannons also. The intro to the Lisbon section states,

From 1580 to 1640, for dynastic reasons, Portugal (but not its overseas empire) was
    placed under the Crown of Spain, King Philip the Second of Spain being, in Portugal,
    King Philip the First (as inscribed, namely, on the artillery pieces cast in Portugal at that
    period).

Name:	c1a.jpg 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	1752840

I know nothing of plants but if anyone would know what plant it is and why it would have been important or the symbolic meaning of the plant?
    I dropped off this thread but saw in active topics you posted so I was curious to what you had to say...

Before dropping off the thread I too found the same "motifs" that you have found but did not post further...

But now that you have... I will again sorta bump along back into this... with saying first... you are the first to find / post it here.

Now... with this said... I will also say this...

First.. yes ... agreed... Portuguese.

Second .. yes again agreed... 1500's

Third... not agreed on last part.

Magoopeter likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

ie
    Mr

Jan 2016
    Ireland
    underwater
    23 times
    Shipwrecks
    Not sure what you mean by third part. I think in previous posts, palmetto plant is mentioned, I was looking for a connection to a plant and a ship, you’ll be familiar with The Narvaez expedition, Spanish journey of exploration and colonization started in 1527, they got into a bit of trouble to say the least.

Narvaez expedition 1528.

After a few days stuck near the shallow waters, one man came up with a plan: he suggested to forge their weaponry and armour to make tools and to build new boats to sail to Mexico, the party agreed.

They constructed a forge out of a log and used deerskins for the bellows. They cut down trees and made charcoal for the forge. Then they made hammers, saws, axes, and nails out of their iron gear. Caulking was made from the pitch of pine trees, and palmetto leaves were used as oakum.
    It is interesting how a bell can open up so much debate, but very interesting wreck site, it would be good to know f other artefacts had been found as they may help date the site or ID the wreck?
    BillA and AARC like this.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1206 times
    re-tilling the same old field, a common decorative motif across many cultures and thousands of years
    lots of names, stylistic differences by which they can be identified

the (dinner) bell will probably be identified via a metallurgical analysis, and from there to ?
    Blak bart, Doubter in MD and AARC like this.
    read 'em and weep guys, we're whizzing on our feet
    Americans never want to go back to the way America used to be

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...merica-used-be

ie
    Mr

Jan 2016
    Ireland
    underwater
    23 times
    Shipwrecks
    I would say the person who found this knows exactly what it is and what ship it came from, you would have to have a reason to be looking to find it, , as Rex Cowan would say, “you first find a wreck on paper and then in the sea or you first find a wreck in the sea and then on paper”. The guy that started the post is pulling our leg so to speak? But still a good subject, good posts and information, shared, the members of the site have deposited a wealth of knowledge into this site, making it a great repository of information on shipwrecks and their artefacts.
    AARC and BillA like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    48308 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoopeter View Post
    Not sure what you mean by third part. I think in previous posts, palmetto plant is mentioned, I was looking for a connection to a plant and a ship, you’ll be familiar with The Narvaez expedition, Spanish journey of exploration and colonization started in 1527, they got into a bit of trouble to say the least.

Narvaez expedition 1528.

After a few days stuck near the shallow waters, one man came up with a plan: he suggested to forge their weaponry and armour to make tools and to build new boats to sail to Mexico, the party agreed.

They constructed a forge out of a log and used deerskins for the bellows. They cut down trees and made charcoal for the forge. Then they made hammers, saws, axes, and nails out of their iron gear. Caulking was made from the pitch of pine trees, and palmetto leaves were used as oakum.
    It is interesting how a bell can open up so much debate, but very interesting wreck site, it would be good to know f other artefacts had been found as they may help date the site or ID the wreck?
    Yep. Quite familiar.

In fact... I don't think many are much more familiar...

I spent years as a child at the exact spot in which he landed.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    the (dinner) bell will probably be identified via a metallurgical analysis, and from there to ?
    Dinner bell! I love it! Spot on.
    BillA and AARC like this.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Sponsored Links