Emerald wreck?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, here is a close up of a scanned work map from Mel which is converted to an overlay. You can see the whole thing on top of good aerial photography at:

http://www.pixlbndr.com/wrecker/riomarmap/map.htm

but, you must have the SVG plugin from Adobe to use the map. The attached graphic is from that same working map of the Rio Mar site. You can see that at least one emerald was found there in 1969. There's reference to another at the bottom of the frame, but I did not get that in the picture. You can see it on the SVG map if you are interested. There were many more found.

Attachments

• riomaremerald.gif
    riomaremerald.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 606
OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
signumops said:
By the way, here is a close up of a scanned work map from Mel which is converted to an overlay. You can see the whole thing on top of good aerial photography at:

http://www.pixlbndr.com/wrecker/riomarmap/map.htm

but, you must have the SVG plugin from Adobe to use the map. The attached graphic is from that same working map of the Rio Mar site. You can see that at least one emerald was found there in 1969. There's reference to another at the bottom of the frame, but I did not get that in the picture. You can see it on the SVG map if you are interested. There were many more found T
Thanks,
This tells me a tons of things.
On the bottom right there appears to be NAILS and one is even bent-could this be corrct or are they soething else.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Trez,
Here is also something that can be done.
If you take ash from Mt St. Helen and heat with a AC/OXY tourch the material will turn into a green hard material like an emerald with the same hardness and color.
They are making jewelry out of this stuff.
Later
Peg

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg:
Those are not nails. Those are cannons. This is a large scale excavation map from amost 30 years ago. The area covered is about 1000 feet across or there abouts. Correction on that... about 600 feet across. Some of the cannons were already drawn in on the chart. I added some of the others.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Peg Leg said:
Trez said:
IndianRiverSonrise said:
signumops said:
Read it and weep. May 13, 1967, Cabin Wreck. Carl Baum reports 1 inch diameter green stone found. If that's an emerald, it was pretty healthy. I wonder if that is mouldering away in Tallahassee in a shoe box under the old Capitol Building?

Thanks for the picture of the field notes. I often wondered where the bright green pieces of sand came from when inspecting encrusted artifacts with my loop. From reading the field notes it would seem that that sand could be small pieces of emerald. Is there another source of emerald looking sand in Florida waters?

The bright green pieces of sand have nothing to do with EMERALDS.
It is simply an chemical process, usually associated with artifacts that are either cuprous or been in the closeness of such.

Trez

Trez are you saying that a EMERALD Bleeds. (Afraid not ). As you know an Emerald is HEXAGONAL in shape and does not absorb other elements nor does it put them out. To I.D. an emerald all you have to do is do a Specific Gravity test and this will take only a few minutes. Of course you can always do a SCRATCH TEST if the stone is clean of encrustations.
The stone that the State has should have been I.D.ed as soon as they saw it since it was a complete crystal.
I do understand that emeralds do break and that the pieces will take on new shapes other than Hexagonal.
Trez, Can you please explain your statement as to what makes GREEN SAND other than a dye.
Thanks
Peg Leg
He never said that an emerald bleeds, Peg. He said the color comes from copper artifacts or association with such.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Has anyone really studied the chart given above and do you see what I see. Of course you have to use other charts to be able to undertand what I am talking about.
Before I try to explain lets hear what you see and think you see.
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know that under that stack of cannons (18 still there I believe) is a pile of of ballast and if you are patient and perservering and turn those ballast stones over 1 by 1, all kinds of goodies can be found. All it takes is a very good metal detector and hand fanning. That's what I see. ;)

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Just wondering why the cannons are still there?
In order to get to the ballast rock you gotta move some cannons right?
Getting close.
Peg leg

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg:

That link takes you to my website and I have several maps there that are called "SVG" format. These maps are actually little programs all by themselves. You have to have Microsoft Windows and the SVG plugin from Adobe systems in order to use the maps. They are inter-active. You can turn on or turn off the photo layer by clicking in the little yellow boxs on the right. You can zoom in or out and you can pan around in the map.

You can download the entire SVG file by right clicking on the map and then using the popup menu to select "download", but, you still have to have the FREE SVG plugin. Also, you have to have a decent sized screen to see the whole thing.

I will probably rebuild the SVG maps as editions for Virtual Earth, because I have already done that for another set of maps (not treasure, just business). Nobody seems to want to use the SVG maps... I just built them to see how they worked. I do computer mapping for a living... that's my day job for the last seven years or so.

When I got the original blue prints from Mel, Duke Vaughn and I actually sub-contracted from him to hunt on the Rio Mar site (that did not last too long, unfortunately... another story). That was about 1985 or so. At the time, nobody else was digging on the Rio Mar wreck, but Southern Cross-Tradewind Salvage has spent quite a bit of time there in 2001-2004 while I was working with them. We always worked inshore, not out where the cannons are.

If I get the map into Virtual Earth, I will post the link for you and the rest to see. The cannons are still supposed to be there and I hope they stay there. They are iron. Really excellent diving at the Rio Mar site most of the time. One of my favorite spots.

Terry Armstrong sends

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don, all of the 1715 wrecks have cannon still on them (except the Urca de Lima) Thankfully, Art McKee (and others) didn't get them all. Some of them have been moved a little bit so the area under and around them could be searched, but there is no point in raising them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread