Another one of our own has passed over the bar...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wish we could have come to terms about searching for 40 tons of silver at Isla de la Plata; what a story and adventure that could have been. Don....

Don, as someone who worked there, do you think Ecuador would give someone a permit to recover the silver bars at Isla de la Plata?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Salvor6,

Before we salvaged the 'Capitana' (1654), the law was the payoff would be 10-year Ecuadoran bonds based on the intrinsic value of our finds. The un-attractiveness of that law was obvious. As you know, we got involved in having the law changed to a 50/50 split of the silver salvaged. The new law opened the door for us and others who followed.

To answer your question, I don't know if search, salvage and division could be possible but if a permit is given it will include being tenacious,having a good marine lawyer familiar with the politics, and an excellent business plan that would include conservation, preservation and presentation of the findings to the public.

In the recent past, I know one could take a one hour tourist boat ride to the island, stay a few hours then return to the mainland. I'll say no more on that, but I will add that what Ed went through in an attempt to raise funds to return to Isla de la Plata is, to me, sufficient evidence that he may have found a silver bar. The naysayers will state Drake didn't go to that island. I say "Who cares?". If silver bars lie in the shallow waters there and are retrievable (permitted), who cares whether or not Drake left them there?

Marx's book was first to put me on to this treasure. In his book he references Nora Serling. I attempted to contact Nora (then age 95) at an East Coast nursing home but they said she would be unable to discuss her book. But her book had a bibliography and one of those references led me to Nora's source. And in that source was more information that caught my attention--to this day.

RIP Ed;and thanks for rejuvenating the spark to search.
Don....

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Ed and I discussed the Silver at Isla de La Plata at length. He DID find a silver bar and left it so know one else would know. Our plans for going back were only hindered by the usual absence of money.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very sorry to read this. I met Ed at one of the picnics, great guy.

My prayers and deepest sympathies for his family.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Sad to hear this we always chatted at the cook out he will be missed

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very sorry to of the passing of Edward, old man, I was in touch with him last year, He had a very interesting wreck of the Keys, a genuine treasure hunter and a gentleman to correspond with. Was just thinking of him this week. deepest sympathies to his family.
On your Journey.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand, until we meet again

DAP1

May 21, 2019
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aqua-Pulse, Minelab, Whites, Garrett, home made
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R.I.P Ed. Sorry to hear you passed. Fair winds and Following Seas Ole Man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread