Info on El Dorado treasure Galleon?

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
TreasureDiver,

Thanks for the info. I am working on a new approach, though I do not know if it will work for the Bahamas. I have a relationship with the current rightful heir to Hernan Cortes, a lady who lives in Italy. Cortes was an entrepreneur and personally owned most of the ships that transported his materials. Certainly in US waters, Spanish shipwrecks, whether owned by the State or privately, have a special status under the 1902 Treaty of Friendship with Spain. As shown in the case of SeaHunt and the Juno and laGalga, Spanish wrecks cannot be "abandoned" except by specific act, and so belong to their original owners, or their descendents. Because of this most Spanish wrecks in US waters belong to the Spanish government, and eliminates the possibility of recovering them legally, but not if they were privately owned. I am interested in trying to identify any Cortes wrecks in US waters, because I think that the current heir would be recognised as the legitimate owner and allowed to recover the wreck. I would, incidentally, be interested in forming a relationship with people who might have the capability of finding and legitinately recovering such wrecks.

I know that the Bahamas currently have a moratorium on shipwreck recovery, but if it was possible to identify the wreck of a ship that had been privately owned by Cortes I wonder if they would be amenable to giving his legitimate heir permission to recover it, using appropriate archaeological methods of course. Its too late to matter now, but I suspect that the Tumbaga wreck recovered a few years ago in the Bahamas was a Cortes ship.

That is why I am interested in working out whether the "Santa Maria de la Concepcion" that you referred to was privately owned by Cortes, and could reasonably be located.

Mariner

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Finally somebody turns up with a new approach. Congratulations!!! The text mentioned earier, was copied from a "prospectus" of many years ago. I suspect that the information was from Marx.
It is difficult to find investors that want to get involved with years of litigation. But dont despair, thare are many ways to get to the goal.
Treasurediver

toolmaker

Jun 26, 2005
The name El Dorado refers to the practice of a south american king, who would be covered in Gold dust for certain rituals. Spanish explorers went crazy trying to find the location of the ritual, as much treasure was used each and every year to offer the Gods.

If a ship was nicknamed El dorado, it would refer to this practice. During this ritual the treasure was thrown into water, which is probably why the ship was nicknamed along these lines.

Baba awarded

Jul 17, 2012
Bahamas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny how the Spanish say all this treasure belongs to them. They have no claim in my books because they plundered the new world. The treasure belongs to the native countries they plundered.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1987 I worked for Peter Throckmorton. For months I researched for clues of "Santiago elGrande". Nothing! It's an invention. Ghost shipwreck. I have a letter from Peter accusing of fraud a well-known TH.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
It is an old thread about an old shipwreck.

There are new developments in the Bahamas, maybe a window of opportunity is opening up.

The name ELDORADO was always associated with a lot of gold.

Did somebody mention that Marx found a gold bead and a colored glass bead, likely from a Rosary, when digging up the ELDORADO anchors?

He was sure the wreck was under the anchors, but it was not.

The Anchors were set in a line. The anchor ropes were stretched out in the same direction. Could this mean that the ship sank still attached to the anchors?

Ocean

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Most likely, but with hurricanes, it could have moved again. I think a lot of the wrecks that happened on the edges of the Bahama Banks got pushed farther up on the bank until completely destroyed or pushed back off and in deeper water.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Santiago Big Scam

This thread is from 2005. I wouldn't worry about it.
Hey Alen,
any new contribution to knowledge or up-to-date, is welcome to another is not ripped off. I call the "Santiago El Grande" (Santiago the Big) "Santiago la Gran Estafa" (Santiago Big Scam).
Cheers VV

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Most likely, but with hurricanes, it could have moved again. I think a lot of the wrecks that happened on the edges of the Bahama Banks got pushed farther up on the bank until completely destroyed or pushed back off and in deeper water.

It was only due to a powerful hurricane passing over the site, that the tip of one anchor got uncovered from the sand, so that Marx could find it in 40ft of water.
To the east, in the direction of the anchor set and the anchor ropes, there is a through of 55ft water depth and then the ELDORADO SHOALS of about 15ft, rocky.

From there it is sand again, shoaling.

The Santo Anton, was not a large ship. It probably knocked the bottom out on the ELDORADO SHOAL and then either slipped into the 55ft through or disappeared in the sandy shoal.

Ocean

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Hey Alen,
any new contribution to knowledge or up-to-date, is welcome to another is not ripped off. I call the "Santiago El Grande" (Santiago the Big) "Santiago la Gran Estafa" (Santiago Big Scam).
Cheers VV

There are shipwrecks every few hundred feet all along the edge of the bank. Some wrecked on the rocks and slipped into the deep water, but most were driven through the passes between the rocks and further up the bank where there is deep sand.

I found the bottom of a large ship not far from the edge of the bank, totally covered by the sand. Digging showed the large timbers, but no sign of treasure.

Bernard Roman mentioning the 1765 wreck, speaks of a lot of goods being driven as far as Stirrup Key? to the north-north-east where the Bahamian wreckers recovered them.

Any records should be searched relating to the Bahamian wreckers. I think the Bahamas Gazette was not in print yet, but the wrecking industry was well organized by that time and the shipwreck goods were sold to the usual markets, many on the east coast of USA.

Often there are notices in the local newspapers of the time, about ships arriving in port with shipwreck goods for sale.

Ocean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions