Info on El Dorado treasure Galleon?

OP
OP
B

bftrader

Cornelius - I will get back to you with the particulars that gave me this name. It will be a little later on when I can get to my books.

OP
OP
B

bftrader

Cornelius - I will get back to you with the book and page# - I just read this last night - do you know what the salvage laws are in the Bahamas??

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Cornelius, yes El Dorado is a nick name for another ship. I read about it when some divers claimed to have found it. It is located in the Riding Rocks Chain of islands S. of Bimini. The divers found some silver and emeralds. My buddy in Tampa was working a wreck N. of Memory Rock when his lease was cancelled 4 years ago. There is a moratorium on treasure hunting in the Bahamas and there are no new leases. Capt. Carl Fismer got a lease a few years ago on Hogsty Reef but he was a consultant to the Minister of Transportation ( the guy who issues th-ing leases) and thats how he got in.

OP
OP
B

bftrader

Rick Meyers claimed he found the Santiago el Grande south of Bimini. He was hired by CEL co. to go back and get the mother load. He said he had found emerakds and gold from this wreck. When they returned it looked as if someone else (poochers probably) already had blown a bunch of holes. Needless to say they did not find anything more. Meyers was then fired. The El Dorado is not the nickname for this wreck.

OP
OP
B

bftrader

Another note on this wreck is that Marx has claimed he found the Santiago's ancors. Scholars debate weather this ship ever existed to begin with. Believed to have sunk in 1765 in a hurricane at Orange Cay 50 miles south of Bimini, it seams no one has found her or willing to admit to it. Mel Fisher searched in vain for this rich galleon also. If anyone has anymore info please let me know.

OP
OP
B

bftrader

anchorbronze,
got any info on this ship?

maximushisp

Feb 4, 2005
Hello,
I know something about The Dourado wreck,
but I suppose that it isn't the same ship that you want information.

Cheers

David

maximushisp

Feb 4, 2005
Hello again

The Dourado,was a portuguese brig,was lost on 1829 in Indonesia.
Route-Macao to Bombay (India).
cargo-US$500000 plus valuable artifacts and antiques.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
I have photos of the 3 anchors, logbook of the expedition, original loran position of the anchors, and carbon 14 dating of the rope thast still was on the anchor (carbon date 1490!!!!!!)
Treasurediver

maximushisp

Feb 4, 2005
Hi,
I would like to help you more,but I'm sorry I don't have more information,
the first message ask about any information,
I answer with all that I have,
it is not enought?
I'm sorry again,
I don't know why you have this aptitude with me.
I'm only wants help,maybe with a little clue,
I am agree not is a lot information,but it's all that I have,only wants to help
I know that is a large area,but not is better than nothing?
this is my first day in the forum after a few months,I don't know why here the environment it's so offensive.
probably I consider all relationated about the shipwrecks and naval history at least so serious as you.

I'm Sorry if any person be offend with this words,maybe all could have more respect with the other members of the forum.
I'm sorry also my bad english, but I?m Spanish.

Thanks.

David

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Here is some info that is "floating around" and attached a pic of the anchors

G. The "ElDorado"
Although there are many potential areas for treasure salvage and recovery and many documented 16th, 17th and 18th century vessels that have sunk in such areas, the prime objective of the Partnership is the location and recovery of the "EIDorado." The EIDorado is a Spanish galleon believed to have sunk during a storm at sea off the northern coast of Bimini in 1551.
In July of 1986, Shipwrecks, Inc. obtained the research on the "San Anton de Brazil," nicknamed the "EIDorado," from a marine archaeologist and highly respected researcher, Mr. Robert Marx, born in 1936 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mr. Marx has been responsible for the location and recovery of numerous ships since 1953. His underwater exploration and research work has taken him to 45 countries and he has been associated with various governments and institutions, including UNESCO, the National Geographic Society, and the Smithsonian Institute. In addition he has authored some thirty books on marine archaeology and treasure salvage. From 1965-1968, he directed the operations to excavate the Sunken City of Port Royal, Jamaica. In 1968 he discovered two of Christopher Columbus' shipwrecks in St. Anne's Bay, Jamaica.
The General Partners have been able to confirm some of the information provided to them by Mr. Marx. One of the General Partners' researchers, Betty Simon, has established that the "San Anton del Brazil" was in fact lost at sea with all of its cargo. Additional research is being conducted for the General Partners by Mrs. Leontine Metz in the Spanish Archives in Seville, Spain.
Such research has shown that the EIDorado initially sailed from Spain to Nombre de Dios, Panama, with a general cargo. While in Panama, the ship picked up a cargo of "mainly gold ornaments and idols from Peru, to the value of 780,000 castellanos." A castellano was an early Spanish gold unit of weight, the exact amount of which is subject to debate. One interpretation given is that four castellanos equate to a pound. Another is that a castellano is the equivalent of one and one-eighth ounces, and a third is that it is equivalent to a peso de oro, or one-sixteenth of an ounce. The gold idols were believed to have been discovered by the Spanish in Inca tombs near Cusco, Peru, and would have a priceless archaeological value today.

After leaving Panama, the EIDorado sailed to Cartagena, Columbia and picked up "pearls from Margarita Island [off the coast of Venezuela] and gold and emeralds from Bogata." The value of this treasure has not been specified in any of the documents. The ship then sailed to Santo Domingo and picked up an additional cargo of gold. The EIDorado then sailed along the north coasts of Hispaniola and Cuba and entered the Bahama channel. On December 16, 1551, the ship was struck by "a fierce storm and ground her bottom on shallows 2 leagues north of Bimini." Within six hours the ship broke up, and the captain, pilot and six others were able to reach the safety of the island and eventually make their way to Cuba. Because of the enormous value of the EIDorado's cargo, the Spanish government financed separate expeditions for three consecutive years to find the shipwreck, with no success.
Acting on this information, the General Partners have located three anchors approximately eight miles off the northern coast of Bimini in the shallow area called "EIDorado Shoals" on marine charts. recently sent one of the anchor ropes to the Applied Research Center at the University of Pittsburgh for radiocarbon dating analysis. The result of this analysis was to date the anchor rope at 1490 plus or minus forty years. The General Partners believe this to be an appropriate and likely dating for rope from a 1551 shipwreck.
In addition to the EIDorado, other 16th, 17th 18th and 19th century sunken vessels are located in and about the Bahamian lease area.
A list of other potential targets includes the following: .
1. The Spanish ship "Santa Maria de la Concepcion", weighing 110 tons, was "lost north of Bimini" while returning to Spain in 1528 with an unspecified amount of plunder which Cortez seized from Mexico.
2. Another Spanish ship, the Santa Maria de los Remedios" was lost in 1559 somewhere on the northwest corner of the Great Bahama Bank while returning to Spain carrying 768,110 pesos in silver and gold.

Attachments

• Bronze-cannon.jpg
    Bronze-cannon.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 727

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Sorry, wrong pic. This ia a bronze cannon from a different location, not the eldorado. attached the pic of the anchors

Attachments

• Eldorado-anchors.jpg
    Eldorado-anchors.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 699
OP
OP
B

bftrader

SO TREASUREDIVER,
WHY HASN'T ANYONE FOUND THE EL DORADO YET????

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Only few people really know about it. For myself I went to look for other treasures. But who knows, if I fing the right people I might have another go at it.
Treasurediver

OP
OP
B

bftrader

TREASUREDIVER
WERE YOU WITH MARX WHEN HE FOUND THESE ANCHORS? HOW DID YOU GET A SAMPLE OF THE ROPE?

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Yep, it was my boat we used. I collected the sample of rope off the one of the 3 anchors myself. That was when Marx got bitten by the shark (155 stitches) Marx then went back without me but never managed to find the right location again. I sailed on to the Azores, Madeira the coast of Africa, Cape verde Islands and to Brazil, finding wrecks at every stop.
Lots and lots of wrecks out there just got to know how to find them.
Treasurediver

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
TreasureDiver,

What an interesting life you have led! I wonder if you can point me in the direction of any info on the the Spanish ship "Santa Maria de la Concepcion" that you mention as going missing north of Bimini in 1528. Was this ship accompanying Cortes as he went back to Spain that year? Do you know if anybody has tried to find it?

I am afraid that my collection of books on this subject is somewhat limited, and I can find no reference to this wreck on the Internet.

I would appreciate any help,

Mariner

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
CHAUNU SEVILL

CHAUNU, SEVILLE ET L'ATLANTIQUE, 1504 - 1650, has several "Santa Maria de la Concepcion" leaving Spain in 1527 and several returning in 1528 etc.
There are so many shipwrecks out there ... I think it is better to first find a region where it is possible to obtain an agreement with the government, rather than spend years researching a specific shipwreck (AM TOO OLD FOR THAT) only to find out that there is no way to be able to work on it.
As for the Bahamas, I love that place. So many shipwrecks.
The right kind of project could be aproved by the government, but no "quick and dirty grab the treasure scheme" will have much chances to succeed. This has been done too many times already.

The right kind of people, ther right kind of project and the Bahamas become the paradise.
Treasurediver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread