Ship Bell

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently located a ship's Bell, or what I believe to be a bell from a ship. It was located in the Caribbean waters. It is heavily encrusted with coral and is, sadly ,broken, so that the top is missing. On the exterior of the bell are letters only partially visible [I am hoping to have the bell CT scanned to allow me to read all of the lettering. Beside what may be the name is a Capital 'A' with a mark beside it; two horizontal lines topped with what appears to be a zero or an 'o'. I would appreciate it if someone in the group might direct me to where I could possibly begin researching the origin of this artifact or give me an opinion of what the marking means. So far, without a definitive name to research, I am just stabbing in the dark. I thought the marking might refer to the foundry. There is a border around the top with what appear to be palm leaves or something like that. On the exterior there are several lines; depending on how you look at them there are two, closer to the base, and one just below the decorative band at the top. IMG_0387.JPG From the green colour to a large portion of the bell, I believe it is likely bronze. The letters are not etched, but were made when the bell was cast.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
The end of the name "tafan" and the pattern looks middle east. Possible ??

Nice find but it looks that chlorides start to eat that thing!
Remove the chlorides with a not too hard metal brush, put for short time ammonia with a brush on that areas, wash the dark blue ammonia chloride directly off and than ASAP into chlorine free fresh water until you find a restorer! Because BTA is not easy to handle and it makes cancer, this is the best you can do for the moment so safe that piece.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, since this appears to be a recent find, it should still be soaking in fresh water.

OP
OP
S

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the other side of the bell

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The end of the name "tafan" and the pattern looks middle east. Possible ??

Nice find but it looks that chlorides start to eat that thing!
Remove the chlorides with a not too hard metal brush, put for short time ammonia with a brush on that areas, wash the dark blue ammonia chloride directly off and than ASAP into chlorine free fresh water until you find a restorer! Because BTA is not easy to handle and it makes cancer, this is the best you can do for the moment so safe that piece.
I'll have to try searching Internet see if true, but think my mother once told me some muslims were a part shipping slaves here.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 2 triangular shapes at the top of pic are interesting. I've seen a triangular design on many of the modern Muslim dress fashions , including a double row of interlocking triangles. Many of their buildings are decorated inside and out with triangle designs along with what looks to be palm leaves.

Attachments

• Img_0387crop.jpg
    Img_0387crop.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out old gold coins from around the world. Many different palm tree designs can be found and usually have at least 4 branches or more on each side. One exception, all the gold coins from this country have 3 each side one less obvious on top. It represents the number 7.

ancient-coin1.jpg

ancient-coin2.jpg

medallion.jpg

A certain country had only 2 branches each side with 1 on top. I think they all want to be different.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V is one of the ancient alphabet characters, but usually sideways.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could work as a wax seal, I mean the pattern.

Attachments

• palm-coin2.png
    palm-coin2.png
    323 KB · Views: 62

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Ao = masonic "ANNO ORDINIS" .. YEAR OF THE ORDER ...SUBTRACT 1118 FROM 5THE CURRENT DATE .. THE DATE WOULD HAVE TPICALLY bEEN AFTER THE Ao MARK ...the church also used it as" year of our lord" ...with the current date used

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread