Cape Verde ratifies the UNESCO Convention
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Cape Verde ratifies the UNESCO Convention

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    206 times

Cape Verde ratifies the UNESCO Convention

Proud to have delivered to the Cape Verde government my database on wrecks over there.

[COLOR=#818181 !important]08.04.2019 - UNESCO Office in Dakar[/COLOR]
    Parabéns for Cabo Verde: Ratification of the 2001 Convention for the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage

©IPC

Cabo Verde recently ratified the 2001 Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage. This is an important step forward in the fight against commercial exploitation of underwater cultural heritage present on the Atlantic coast of Africa.

With Cabo Verde ratifying the 2001 UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage, the total number of States Parties to the Convention adds up to 61 worldwide, of which 16 are located in the Africa region.
    The Convention was adopted by UNESCO Member States in November 2001 and strengthens the protection of cultural heritage present underwater. The Convention aims to increase the protection of underwater cultural heritage and to strengthen cooperation between State Parties. The ratification of the 2001 Convention by Cabo Verde is a robust step in the fight against the commercial exploitation of underwater cultural heritage.
    Cabo Verde archipelago holds more than 5 centuries of maritime activities on its seabed as it was an important intercontinental Atlantic station in maritime traffic, linking Europe, Africa and America. The underwater cultural heritage of Cabo Verde reflects thus the history of the Atlantic and bears an important testimony to understand the mechanisms of the construction of the modern world. This immersed heritage, often victim of commercial exploitation in the past, now benefits from a better protection thanks to the numerous advantages available through the mechanisms of the 2001 Convention.
    The ratification of Cabo Verde is the fruit of a long process initiated by the UNESCO Regional Office in Dakar, that has been working closely with Member States on the Atlantic coast of Africa in developing management policies adapted to underwater cultural heritage.
    Cabo Verde has participated in the elaboration of the recommendations during the last regional meeting on the protection of underwater cultural heritage held on the island of Gorée from 22 to 24 January 2019. With a good implementation of the 2001 Convention and the application of these recommendations, this archipelago will undoubtedly benefit from the many resources its rich underwater cultural heritage can offer.

Parabéns for Cabo Verde: Ratification of the 2001 Convention for the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naufragios por Ano.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	1706505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1706506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boavista.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	1706507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detalhe ilheus rombos.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1706508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lady Burgess, 1806, Memoir, descriptive and explanatory to accompany the new chart of the Atlant.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	1706509  

Digger RJ likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1769 times
    Shipwrecks
    It's too late Alexandre. Arquanautis already got the good stuff from Cape Verde 20 years ago. You can have what's left. they are now in Mozambique excavating Portugese shipwrecks for commercial exploitation.
    jeff of pa, T.C. and BillA like this.

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    206 times
    They WERE in Mozambique. We stop their act there some 3 years ago, after they sued me.

This is their boat, rusting away in Mozambique island.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18891733_1367875813249285_6235695912395947912_o.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	1706518  
    Tnmountains likes this.

br
    Jul 2018
    535 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dont want to wade into an argument.

Alexandre, thank you for the collaboration and submitting your research.

As Portuguese vessels were, at a time, everywhere on the seas, the ability to search the internet and find resources has been an incredible addition to shipwreck research.
    Alexandre and Tnmountains like this.
    I love the taste of water, frozen into squares, and surrounded by rum

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    34102 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    They WERE in Mozambique. We stop their act there some 3 years ago, after they sued me.

This is their boat, rusting away in Mozambique island.

So You Stole Their Boat ?
    Very Sad I Do not Support Theft Under the Guise of Protecting Cultural Heritage
    by letting it Rot !

YES I Am against Anti Treasure Hunters !

if the Treasure Belongs to Everyone, Bring it up and Spread it Around !
    Don't be Greedy & let it Rot !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000aaa.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	1706610
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 27, 2019 at 09:09 AM.
    aquanut and T.C. like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1769 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Very Sad I Do not Support Theft Under the Guise of Protecting Cultural Heritage
    by letting it Rot !

YES I Am against Anti Treasure Hunters !

if the Treasure Belongs to Everyone, Bring it up and Spread it Around !
    Don't be Greedy & let it Rot !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000aaa.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	1706610
    What will happen now is the looters will pick the wrecks clean and nobody will win.
    jeff of pa and T.C. like this.

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    206 times
    Aren´t looters equal to treasure hunters?

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    150 times
    Archaeologist who do poor archeology, or do not publish are also looters, and there are and have been plenty of them.
    jeff of pa, T.C. and AARC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30020 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    Aren´t looters equal to treasure hunters?
    We are a treasure hunting site, if your going to insult treasure hunters your insulting the site and no reason to be here.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    206 times
    Well, let's see how many books and articles Arqueonautas published from all those years of "working" in Cape Verde... 10? 15? 25?

No.

Zero.

Z E R O.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    150 times
    When you sort all your Brethren out you can criticise others.

Rule makers should not be rule benders and as a discipline underwater archaeologist often do both.
    jeff of pa, T.C. and AARC like this.

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1663 times
    Shipwrecks
    The difference between looters, treasure hunters and the archaeologist is merely the time frame, the viewpoint and perhaps some arrogant entitlement.
    Europeans came to the Americas in search of treasure which they looted from every nook and cranny, torturing, murdering and enslaving millions to satisfy their greed. They were treasure hunters and looters.
    Today's archaeologists roam the world grave-robbing and looting while operating under the presently socially acceptable guise of 'research' couching their behavior as academically acceptable. "Let me take your ancestor's body and study it. I will write a paper about it. This legitimizes me to my community of academics. Thanks. I'll return Uncle Rudy if we don't find him interesting."
    It's all about perception.

Entitlement and arrogance are unattractive traits to most of us. We should all do a little introspection, I suppose.
    aquanut, T.C. and AARC like this.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage/Caribbean Treasure Salvors
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet "C-31"
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

https://www.facebook.com/searchandsalvage.net/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467407956647367/

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    206 times
    I never went pillaging the (South and Central) Americas, Bill.

Where did you ancestors came from and how did they arrive in America? As slaves, colonialists or emigrants fleeing poverty, hunger and war?

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1663 times
    Shipwrecks

My paternal grandparents left Scotland a few years after WW1, bringing with them a couple of kids and a nest egg. My grandfather left due to a lack of opportunity as the 3rd son in the family.
    My maternal grandfather (Hughes) left Wales after WW 1 after realizing that a life in the coal fields of South Wales was liable to be short and unpleasant. That branch had been in Wales since the Norman invasion of 1066.
    My maternal grandmother's family (Brackett) moved to the Carolinas in the late 1690s from England, looking for land. They co-mingled with the native Cherokee and Tuscarora people and later moved west to Tennessee where it was less crowded around 1810.
    So like most families whose members were ambitious, there was emigration. Like most families in Great Britain, my family has had much experience in wars of conquest and defense as both winners and losers.
    My argument is not with you, Alexandre, although your disdain for any professional or amateur archaeologists who do not share your viewpoints and belong to The Club is somewhat sad. You have done some good research and would be a great asset to a commercial historic salvage operation should you come to your senses.

My issues are two-fold. I do not believe that the UNESCO treaty is a good thing for the signatory nations. Ceding control of your sovereignty is historically always a bad idea, sort of like letting your Mother in Law move in to help run your household. I also believe that somewhere in the back of the UNESCO treaty is a desire of the countries whose ships were carrying their loot back home to keep anyone else from recovering what was lost long ago. Quite frankly, if you can't find it and remove it in 3 or 400 years, it is not yours anymore.
    The other issue is that the whole "preservation in situ" scheme, particularly when it comes to shipwrecks in high-energy saltwater environments, is not based in science. Between the saltwater trying to dissolve everything but ceramics, gold and bronze, the energy of the ocean trying to break it all into sand-sized particles and the corals and mineral encrustations trying to absorb it all into the seafloor. "in situ" could just as well be described as capitulating to the whims of physics and the weather while the history and stories of the ships and the people who sailed them are lost.

Kind regards,
    Alexandre, aquanut, T.C. and 1 others like this.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage/Caribbean Treasure Salvors
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet "C-31"
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

https://www.facebook.com/searchandsalvage.net/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467407956647367/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links