Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Chris,

welcome to our forum you may want to talk to Jason aka Scubafinder
he works in the Fishers consevation lab...I am sure he will be more than happy to give you some tips.....

Here is a spike found by Tom Gidus from ARRG aboard the "Conquistador"

Goo luck,

Chagy......

Attachments

• spike.jpg
    spike.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 475
  • spike.jpg
    spike.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 446

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Chris, I think i can help you out. First things first, DO NOT put the artifacts in any type of acid, many people may tell you that this is an acceptable cleaning method, but it is not. There is a chemical called Airagon that works well for removing oxidation, but to my knowledge you can only get it in 55 gallon drums, and it's quite expensive. The best all around method is electrolytic reduction. Basically a tank of distilled water and enough soda Ash to bring the pH up to about 12 to 16. (get the pH test kit from a pet store with aquarium supplies).

I usually use a 3-6 volt DC power supply rated at between 300 and 600 mA. Connect the positive side to your anode (stainless steel plate or bolt or whatever stainless you have) and the connect the negative to the artifact. It should bubble a little...not a lot. Generally you want it to look like smoke, as in lots of tiny bubbles. Voltage and amperage depend on the size of the item you are cleaning, coins use less that I mentioned above normally, but a large spike could take more. The process is basically to reomve the oxidation from the object, and more importanty to get the salt out. When the salt dries, it expands and will definitely damage most iron artifacts. Couperous metals like bronze fair better under the water, and sometimes can just be polished.

There is an entire forum here on cleaning artifacts, go over there and you should find some pics and diagrams of the setup. I'm at sea this week doing a magnetometer survey so I can't take any pics of mine right now.

Best of luck.

Jason

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
one of the best methods i have found for cleaning brass or copper items is phosphoric acid-same acid that is in your coke cans-just mix a little stronger-you do have to keep an eye on it tho-if you leave it in the bath too long it will turn green and you will have a hard time cleaning this off-for other methods go to mother of all maritime links and there you will find a sub category on the subject.

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites DFX 300
Scubafinder,
Where do you find or what is a 3-6 volt DC power supply rated at between 300 and 600 mA?
PDJ

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PDJ said:
Scubafinder,
Where do you find or what is a 3-6 volt DC power supply rated at between 300 and 600 mA?
PDJ

Radioshack

BestBuy

Circuit City

or just do a search in google and get it online

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Conservator,

Thanks for sharing...

Chagy.....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The power supplies are less than $10.00. I use sodium carbonate instead of sodium hydroxide, as it isnt so caustic, and is less dangerous to people. It works good. You are just wanting an electrolyte, not a corrosive, caustic liquid. To get sodium carbonate, buy washing soda in the clothes cleaning area, or bake baking soda - sodium bicarbonate, for a hour at 350 degrees in your oven.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions