Soooo.............has there EVER been ANYONE..

Black Jack James

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...that has ever petitioned the State of Florida that would allow us peasants other than the lease holders of the 1715 sites to have a crack in the water in those areas?
How about one week in those sites per year?
How about in the water up to waist with no scuba gear?
There has to be some compromise to people that just want one small crack one week out of the year to at least fulfill their dreams of working those sites. Black Jack is fired up and will be talking to his State Rep about this. Beware, Arrrrrrg!! For The Pirates Forever!!!

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is the first day of the 2 day mini lobster season. Fun to see the "free for all" for lobsters on the Treasure coast.

You could walk across the kayaks without getting your feet wet.

And that was just for lobsters.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM going out fo dem bugs at 7AM this morning the water down here was gin clear yesterday, hope every one going out catches dinner

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I may be wrong but I always thought that a person could work in the waters up to chest height or maybe even deeper along the Treasure Coast as long as you stay out of the Salvage Lease areas. In those areas, a person can be arrested and fined for trespassing and if they find something and take it, they can be arrested and fined for theft. Anything found in the Lease areas has to be turned over to the company or person who holds the Lease which is probably anything related to the 1715 Treasure Fleet. Hopefully those in the know, will confirm or correct what I stated.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did Mel fisher get to plunder all those 1715 treasure ships he stole my dream and my Booty

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...that has ever petitioned the State of Florida that would allow us peasants other than the lease holders of the 1715 sites to have a crack in the water in those areas?
How about one week in those sites per year?
How about in the water up to waist with no scuba gear?
There has to be some compromise to people that just want one small crack one week out of the year to at least fulfill their dreams of working those sites. Black Jack is fired up and will be talking to his State Rep about this. Beware, Arrrrrrg!! For The Pirates Forever!!!

I've hunted those beach sites for years and never had a problem. I've been in the water up to my waste and no one said a thing. I don't think they really care about someone with a detector standing in the water. They do care about people diving. They say most of the coins are stuck in the coral reef about 50 yards out from the beach. At low tide you can almost walk out to the reef but they may frown on taking a detector with you.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is illegal to have a metal detector in the water in leased areas if you not working off of a boat with a subcontractor agreement.. Personally, I won't say anything to a guy wading...diving is another issue entirely.
If it weren't for Mel Fisher and his company going to court over 100 times (even to the Supreme Court) to protect these leases from the 1960's right up to the present, no one would be able to salvage anything in Florida. We will be the last generation to have this opportunity. In virtually every country in the world, salvaging old wrecks is illegal, as it is anywhere else in this country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread