Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How do they know the name of the ship? The famous Mary Celeste was found adrift in the Azores in 1872. She finally wrecked in Haiti in 1885.
The Vasa and the Mary Rose were salvaged and preserved at a great cost.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
How do they know the name of the ship? The famous Mary Celeste was found adrift in the Azores in 1872. She finally wrecked in Haiti in 1885.

I wondered the same thing. They either must have known about the existence of the ship before it was found, or somehow the name of the ship is still painted on its bow. And no doubt, if they salvage this ship intact it will be at an equal or greater cost. The pictures are nothing short of stunning, and I imagine the stores, cargo, personal items and pretty much everything else will come up intact, as well.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006

Historically, there were many ships named Mary Celeste. If it has been properly identified, it was flagged by Sweden during their war of independence from Denmark in the 1520s. Can it be raised? Well, that portion of the Baltic has a reputation for preserving ships. We shall see what the maritime archeologists do, in time.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Can it be raised? Well, that portion of the Baltic has a reputation for preserving ships. We shall see what the maritime archeologists do, in time.

And after 500 years in almost 400' of water, time is something that is not going to be in short supply. It will probably take years to formulate a plan to raise it. And then several more years to actually raise it. I wouldn't be surprised if it took at least a decade before this ship breaches the surface. And then several more years on top of that before it sees ambient sea level air pressures and the drying process can start. For archaeologists, this is a career find that will last them from graduate school to retirement.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
They don´t know the name of the ship.

The journalist stupidly compared this wreck with the "Mary Celeste".

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
They don´t know the name of the ship.

The journalist stupidly compared this wreck with the "Mary Celeste".

In reading that line from the article it's obvious that you are exactly right. In retrospect, I should have seen that as well, and that's on me. Here's the line in question:

"The newly discovered Baltic Mary Celeste is also at the heart of a 500 year old maritime mystery."

The above statement is the equivalent of referring to Branson, MO. or Pigeon Forge, TN. as the "Hillbilly Riviera". It's still a cool find, though and I hope they can pull that puppy out of the water intact.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freakin cool since Mel Fisher stole my dream now it's to cruise the ocean floor in a sub that would be amazing if possible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread