help with identification of cannon

FrankT

Jul 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190728_125205.jpg

I am looking for some history on this cannon. I am in the process of building a new Carriage for it for a client of mine. My research online has got me nowhere. I think its cool and an interested on its history. Right now it's in my shop and I don't have access to it at the moment. It is appox. 4' long and has a bore of 4.5 to 5" dia. What I have figured out is it a 12lb or 18lb cannon depending of what size the bore is. I take it as being British gun by the crown on it But would like to know the age, and if it was field or ship originally and anything you folks can come up with. Maybe even on what it may worth. Thanks frank

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British cannon with the royal mark... AKA "royal cypher".

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be wrong, but, it looks like a 1976 vintage British "galloper gun". These were made for use by reenactors during the Bicentennial. These were fairly light weight guns that were easily moved, some of the lightest artillery during the Revolution. It would be a 3 or 6 pounder. The French used 4 pounders, but this is not a French type item.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a modern reproduction, it is not an antique cannon.

OP
OP
F

FrankT

Jul 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your help, this was beyond my knowledge base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread