The Queen’s Jewels from 1715 fleet - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The Queen’s Jewels from 1715 fleet

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
    815 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sphillips View Post
    Detectorists don't always make public what they find.
    Ya, but you always have some that do. A few of the guys showed me the coins they found and even told me where they found them. After a yr there I made a lot of "buddies" that felt comfortable telling me their stories after a few beers.
    Looking for a hunting buddy in or around Deltona Fl.

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    815 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    List of 1715 fleet ships & cargo they carried (per manifest) https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...x99-2ahc8k.htm
    Ok, here is a quote from that article: "Over 1,000 people were killed but almost 1,500 survived"

On July 24, 1715 a fleet of 12 ships sailed from the harbor of Havana. Each ship would have to hold 209 men. How big do you think the ships were? I find this hard to believe and someones delusions.

Another quote: "I was able to sustain all of the survivors of the disaster until supplies finally arrived from Havana, which was 31 days after the disaster"

So how did they get word to Havana and get ships back to Sebastian in 31 days? They only had a small row boat.... it's 473 miles each way....

So much of that article seems not logical. Sounds like a subject trying to appease the queen. Of course we know they had gold and silver onboard and some has been found but the numbers in the article would make you believe there were tons and tons of it which hasn't been found yet.
    Last edited by Billieg; Sep 27, 2019 at 06:49 PM.

Feb 2016
    8 times
    Lots of 1715 jewelry beach finds over the years. Most people don't publish them.

One example
    Treasure finds

us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
    1128 times
    The Ais Indians alerted the Spanish at St. Augustine to the disaster further south. They had a system of message runners, smoke signals, and drumming that carried the information rapidly north. The Spanish in St. Augustine began rescue preps as they waited on more detailed information to arrive.
    In the 1700's the British used Cherokee message runners further to the north, and documented them sometimes covering over 100 miles in a single day. https://www.yourgrandmotherscherokee.com/blog/cherokee-running
    Modern people are wimps.

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    815 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    The Ais Indians alerted the Spanish at St. Augustine to the disaster further south. They had a system of message runners, smoke signals, and drumming that carried the information rapidly north. The Spanish in St. Augustine began rescue preps as they waited on more detailed information to arrive.
    In the 1700's the British used Cherokee message runners further to the north, and documented them sometimes covering over 100 miles in a single day. https://www.yourgrandmotherscherokee.com/blog/cherokee-running
    Modern people are wimps.
    The last 90 miles from Key West to Havana must have been a ***** for the running Indians....

us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
    1128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
    The last 90 miles from Key West to Havana must have been a ***** for the running Indians....
    Saint Augustine was alerted to the disaster - FURTHER SOUTH - at the site of the 1715 wrecks on the coast.
    Last edited by Slingshot; Sep 28, 2019 at 10:55 AM.

Sep 2005
    451 times
    RTR... I have been in Abaco/Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas doing a Security Detail for an NGO, Search and Rescue Ops and Relief efforts... and I also have a 3 month old baby so I’ve been a bit busy man... sorry I haven’t responded to your message.
    RTR, TRG and William the Conqueror like this.

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    815 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taboga View Post
    Lots of 1715 jewelry beach finds over the years. Most people don't publish them.

One example
    Treasure finds
    And you know this to be a fact? How?

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    9274 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I have seen Emeralds from the Atocha. They were uncut and looked like melted coke bottles all broken up and polished dull by the sand.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3610 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    lets see -- what would occur should you find SPANISH ROYAL CROWN JEWELS FROM THE 1715 FLEET -- SPAIN WHOULD CLAIM OWNERSHIP (OF COURSE) BEING ITS THEIR "HISTORICAL" CROWN JEWELS -- so kiss them good bye --good reason not to crow about finding it -- so what to do with it .....sadly it would likely be melted down for its gem and gold value ...

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    3610 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    in the detecting world --there is a well known adage -- loose lips lose their treasures ..because other folks will raid the area your hunting at and other folks will try to "claim" your finds for themselves..

Jul 2014
    282 times

European History

In 1715 the King of Spain was Philip V who was actually a French man, nephew of the King of France and the first of the House of Bourbon of the Spanish Royal family. At this time Spain and France and Italy, Catholic countries were allies.

In about 1807, Napoleon a Frenchman invaded Spain and put his brother Joseph over Spain.
    In 1815 when Napoleon fell his brother Joseph stole the Spanish crown jewels and fled to America. He bought a farm just outside Philadelphia and later moved to upstate New York and later went back to Europe.

Now the current King of Spain is still from the House of Bourbon and Spain does not have any crown jewels.

My point being if the Spanish try to claim "their" crown jewels my response would be go talk to your friends,
    the French.

That's dysfunctional European history for you.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    3610 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    in 1701 the Spanish king died leaving no heir to the throne ...so his cousin the king of france --claimed both the king of france and spain's thrones --this was too much power in one set of hands according to the british ,dutch and their allies so a war started it lasted from 1701 to 1714 --and was the reason that the 1715 was so richly loaded --the Spanish sent no treasure home from 1711 to 1715 for fear it would be taken by their enemies ...that's why the 1715 fleet was so rich --it was equal to 4 to 5 years worth of "treasure fleets" all in 1
    Last edited by ivan salis; Oct 10, 2019 at 08:45 AM.
    RTR, William the Conqueror and TRG like this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    15461 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    lets see -- what would occur should you find SPANISH ROYAL CROWN JEWELS FROM THE 1715 FLEET -- SPAIN WHOULD CLAIM OWNERSHIP (OF COURSE) BEING ITS THEIR "HISTORICAL" CROWN JEWELS -- so kiss them good bye --good reason not to crow about finding it -- so what to do with it .....sadly it would likely be melted down for its gem and gold value ...
    Lets see-- there have been many Major treasures sold Quietly to private collectors ,and never seen again. Some, Once in a great while will pop up

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    3610 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    oh there are black markets for rare items --things that rich folks put away only to be seen by their eyes -- many major art works stolen by the Nazi's during WW 2 have "disappeared" like this into the hands of wealthy collectors ...
    RTR, Slingshot, Bum Luck and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links