Caribbean Priate Treasure in a Cave??

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is part of a 1775 British admiralty map of Sand Key.

sand key 1775 british admiralty chart.JPG

Kanacki

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cmon, everyone knows they sailed 1000's of miles north, and buried them in shafts, not caves.

Some of these shafts were 100's of feet deep.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cmon, everyone knows they sailed 1000's of miles north, and buried them in shafts, not caves.

Some of these shafts were 100's of feet deep.

?

Since this is the first I have personally ever heard of such an "out there" theory ... Please elaborate with factual data.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
?

Since this is the first I have personally ever heard of such an "out there" theory ... Please elaborate with factual data.

Ever heard of Oak Island?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I were a pirate I'd find a small cave,stash the goods,and seal the entrance w/ rocks.A lot easier/faster than digging :skullflag:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ability to recover a cache should factor unless made out of desperation.

A low ranking party member getting a casual ship ride back to a port or any locale is a low odds proposition compared to squirreling a stash in a home-port or place planned for retirement.

Not sure how often some one jumped ship when a purse was full.
My guess , were I a pirating , my cut would get consolidated in to smaller but more valuable items or specie. Least wise , the cut not spent on a lark in port.

Some interesting info. for novices like myself not burned with a heavy sack of old coins... Explaining coin shapes causation at weighing time is one tidbit worth note.
Money, Pirates of the Caribbean, in fact and fiction Pirate Money

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello BVI Hunter

If I was you I would try to establish the the existence of this alleged discoverer. No point chasing ghosts.

As for the island agreed most of it is flat but there is higher ground and little bit of cliff where the old disused lighthouse was as you can see below.

View attachment 1750943

View attachment 1750944

View attachment 1750946

Cave might be a lose term in description of where the discovery was made? Perhaps the discovery was made in small cleft in the cliff? If of course the story was true to begin with?

Kanacki

I'm a day late and a dollar short here looking for cliff details......:laughing7:
wyattsailing: Big Sand Cay, Turks and Caicos

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I were a pirate I'd find a small cave,stash the goods,and seal the entrance w/ rocks.A lot easier/faster than digging :skullflag:

Well, that made me think. I'm guessing the cannon fodder wanted paid in coins, gems, maybe jewelry.
What sort of loot would be taken from a captured ship?
Can't take everything. Then there were the matter of prisoners. Well, no problem unless you scuttled the ship, I suppose.
Being a pirate is starting to sound like an actual job ;)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The chances of getting back to your buried treasure would be slim to none. Besides, what would you pay with for the wine, women or song?
Uh, ello fair maiden! Could I ave a dance and a flagon of wine with my song? I’ll be sure to pay you when oive got back to me buried treasure!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find small hole ...place goods inside...cover opening...spend rest of day drinking Grog, :occasion14:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh ? wha ?

What the heck does that have to do with pirates overall / in general ?

hahahaha, that was the jist of my original post on digging shafts! Sorry, couldnt resist :occasion14:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The genesis of the story seems to be this article published in 1899. There would seem to be leads that could be followed -up to determine the veracity of the article...https://johnwood1946.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/the-cruise-of-the-rechab/

In any event, there was definitely a pilot schooner named the Rechab active in St. John during the time in question:https://books.google.com/books?id=h2ZMAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA750&lpg=PA750&dq="rechab"+"pilot+schooner&source=bl&ots=Jzf1a2ih2M&sig=ACfU3U3GK9XHUobllH2e-j0QAZIUhse6kw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwjOCf9cnkAhWjSt8KHcpHD6gQ6AEwDHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q="rechab"%20"pilot%20schooner&f=false

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome story !!

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the treasure is still there? :dontknow:

Maybe but perhaps the story is splinter story of another story floating around St Johns? A lot of St John mariners was active in 1812 war between American and Britain. After the end of Napoleonic war many sailors became unemployed and many drifted into working for privateers in war of South American independence from Spain. During the course of time many of those privateers eventually after 1821 drifted into out right piracy till about 1830. But then Britain United States and France had joined forces to all but drive out piracy out of the Atlantic and Caribbean. Pickings was no way as rich as the golden era of piracy 1650 and 1720 although piracy between 1815 -1830 had a modest revival.

A dying seaman telling of buried treasure proliferated bars and brothels of many a sailors flop house. It does not take much imagination to see stories being whispered between swigs of rum. St johns at the time was hot bed of fishing industry by the 1840s and no doubt some of the old hands that served in those wars was still active as mariners as they died out. Such stories proliferated?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another factor to consider.

In that time frame a sailors lot was pretty crap in those days. No welfare you worked till you drop for poor subsistence wages. if your too old or too sick to work and have no relatives to sponge off its the poor house or the gutter. So it does not so inconceivable that some destitute old salts would contrive a story of buried to treasure to get a soft bed to die and get a little sympathy? It would be easy to see why some yarns evolve?

That is one possibility of But that not say that some cache was hidden from piracy or even privateer from that era.

Kanacki

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up for searching for it

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, so I am arranging a trip to Sand Cay, probably in January!!
Wish me luck! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread