Treasure Hunters find pristine gold coins from a shipwreck 1840s
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Treasure Hunters find pristine gold coins from a shipwreck 1840s

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2013
    Midwest
    Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
    968 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Treasure Hunters find pristine gold coins from a shipwreck 1840s

RTR, 1637, doc-d and 4 others like this.

us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    1335 times
    Shipwrecks
    This is Herbo Humphrey's old wreck from MAREX. I'm glad to see them revive the hunt. Nice finds!

us
    Oct 2009
    7666 times
    I really wanted to read the article but that website is total garbage! There are so many ads and popup ads I cant even read the post!

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Green View Post
    I was under the impression that as elements go, gold is relatively non-reactive. Would it really be surprising if gold coins that went into the water in pristine condition came out of hte water in pristine condition, even almost 180 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I really wanted to read the article but that website is total garbage! There are so many ads and popup ads I cant even read the post!
    Three words: Ghostery and Adblock Plus. Problem solved.
    Red_desert and A2coins like this.
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

us
    Stickmarsh Jedi Master

Mar 2014
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Tesoro Sand Shark...... Atomic SV2 snorkel...... Scubapro Jet Fins................... Mares Puck dive computer....... Sherwood Silhouette BCD....... Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
    1328 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddenMonster View Post
    I was under the impression that as elements go, gold is relatively non-reactive. Would it really be surprising if gold coins that went into the water in pristine condition came out of hte water in pristine condition, even almost 180 years later?
    Yes, that is correct. Gold does not oxidize like silver does. The gold coins recovered from the 1715 wrecks are in mint condition.
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

Charter Member
    Aquanut

Jul 2005
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    1494 times
    During the brief time I was on the site, Adblock blocked 208 ads!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30831 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    All I want is one I bet theres trillions in gold and silver in the oceans..Trillions also in the dirt just dropped coins

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatlode View Post
    Yes, that is correct. Gold does not oxidize like silver does. The gold coins recovered from the 1715 wrecks are in mint condition.
    That's what I would expect. On the other hand, I could see abrasion damaging them after being submerged a long time, but the article specifically states that these coins were shielded from that.

Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    All I want is one I bet theres trillions in gold and silver in the oceans..Trillions also in the dirt just dropped coins
    That sentiment certainly gives hope to all treasure hunters in the world. But depending on one's interpretation, this might put a damper on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserve
    "The World Gold Council estimates that all the gold ever mined totaled 190,040 metric tons in 2019 but other independent estimates vary by as much as 20%. At a price of US$1,250 per troy ounce, reached on 16 August 2017, one ton of gold has a value of approximately US$40.2 million. The total value of all gold ever mined would exceed US$7.5 trillion at that valuation and using WGC 2017 estimates."

Silver - Visualized in Bullion Bars
    This infographic shows all the Silver ever mined throughout history. Silver price is currently hovering around $30 / troy oz. When Silver price hits $31.10 / troy oz each gram of Silver will be exactly $1. Silver is usually measured in Troy Ounces. A Troy Ounce is about 1.09 regular Ounces.

All Silver Mined in History - 1,411,475 T

The historical cumulative Gold to Silver production ratio is 1:10.7. The price ratio of Silver to Gold is currently around 1:50.
    So if we assume the above numbers are accurate and start with $7.5 trillion worth of gold that has ever been mined, and then do some quick math for the silver based on the data above--and keeping in mind the Order of Operations we learned as kids, we get:

1,411,475 tons of silver * 2000lbs per ton = 2,822,950,000lbs of silver * 454 grams per lb. = 1,281,619,300,000 grams of silver * 1 dollar per gram = $1,281,619,300,000.

Then we add $7,500,000,000,000 worth of gold to $1,281,619,300,000 worth of silver and get a combined value of $8,781,619,300,000 worth of gold and silver that has ever been mined in the history of the world. That means if trillions (plural) of dollars of lost gold and silver are there waiting to be found, at least 22.78% of all the gold and silver ever mined has been lost throughout history, i.e. $2,000,000,000,000/$8,781,619,300,000. And that would include the coins that were minted from said gold and silver, in addition to gold and silver artifacts that have been created throughout history. And since there is numismatic value to coins and Antiques Roadshow value for artifacts that exceeds their precious metals weight, that number will be higher or lower depending on the ratio of lost gold and silver:lost gold and silver coins and artifacts.

Now y'all know it's been a very slow day for me. But hey, fun with math, people! I'm hoping to find my share of that loot.
    Last edited by MiddenMonster; Oct 11, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    200 times
    "Hard to reach at 75 feet"?

Someone needs investors really bad...
    Red_desert and PetesPockets55 like this.

us
    Jul 2013
    Midwest
    Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
    968 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I would like a gold coin from the wreck,... what a find! Thanks for looking.. HH&GL..
    Red_desert likes this.

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
    646 times
    Look up Ad block plus and install it. You will still get ads but at least you can read the article.
    Looking for a hunting buddy in or around Deltona Fl.

us
    Feb 2008
    Midwest USA
    Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3
    1487 times
    The right gold coins and in mint condition.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    200 times
    It makes you wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Red_desert View Post
    The right gold coins and in mint condition.

us
    Feb 2008
    Midwest USA
    1487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    It makes you wonder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post

The reason I said this, I know of a shipwreck treasure hunter and his brother who used to be in Central America, then also the Caribbean, some time in Indonesia also... but they were old time treasure hunters now retired. They even had a Spanish gold emerald ring on display in a museum. The 2 gold coins they held onto until recently, were in mint condition. Several years ago, the one gold coin was sold and paid for boat engine repairs and complete overhaul. The other gold coin sold recently, paid for a brand new boat engine. Neither of the gold coins were Spanish, I know what the coins were and also where the coins found (what the wreck was and don't ask me because that is all can say right now about it).
    Last edited by Red_desert; Today at 08:19 PM.

us
    Feb 2008
    Midwest USA
    1487 times
    Well, probably said way too much, somebody might be able to figure that out who knows their gold coins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links